Hey guys,
I am looking for a good bridge pickup. I play mostly punk or metal. I was thinking a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader because of a few of my favourite artists use them or did use them; Tom Delonge, James Hetfeild (Kill Em All & Ride The Lightning), Synyster Gates and Will Adler and Mark Morton from Lamb of God. I really like all their music and sounds.
So would an Invader be good for me or what else would you recommend?
as far as i know james hetfield uses emg-85's....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
I thought he had an invader in kill em all and ride the lightning? i dont really know but i play some of their early stuff. Anyway do you think its worth it getting an Invader?
I thought that he used a Gibson 500T and 496R in his Epiphone V for Kill 'Em All. EMG 81 and 60 later on.. and I'll get back on the SH-8.

The first "main" guitar he had with Metallica was the White Epiphone Flying V. James installed a Seymour Duncan Invader into the bridge position and an unknown Seymour Duncan in the neck.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332650&page=2

Pickups: Stock / Later Seymour Duncan Invaders were installed.

http://www.metpage.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=226&Itemid=55

Oops!

I've not tried the SH-8 myself, but I've heard terrible things about it. For all of those playing styles, you need a good, clear pickup. High output isn't that important, because you can get the metal tone from an amp. The LOG guys both use SH-4s in the bridge, with a '59 in the neck. Same with Michael Amott, from Arch Enemy. Those pickups don't have enough output for me, but they're voiced really well. You get a good tonal balance, great clarity (the notes don't turn to mush, because of silly output) and solid articulation. All you need to do then, is push your amp to hell with a few pedals, or a good distortion section.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jun 4, 2008,
Thanks for your advice guys i just thought id tell you a bit more about what i play because i dont want to get the wrong pickup. I mostly play punk (Blink182, NoFX, Boxcar Racer, The Offspring, Anti-Flag ect.) but i also play some Metal (Metallica, some Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold if that classes as metal and some other stuff) and some Grunge. But I deffinately mostly play Punk.
Duncan Custom for you.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Invader is the right one for you then.
Cuz you can't get that Tom DeLonge sound without Invader or DiMarzio X2N.
But I prefer Invader.
It rocks. I play same punk bands as you do...I do not like metal tho.
Invader kicks a**. So go for it, I say
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
try them out and see which you like.
the invader is too harsh for me.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Its going into a Standard Fat Strat. I have a Line 6 Spider 3 but thats not what i will perform though. When i perform it's going to go though either this 75watt Behringer, 75watt Randall or this crap Marshall, i'm not too sure on the exact types though.