I'm not really sure why I never noticed it before, but the glossy finish on the neck of my Dean is slowing me down. For the record, the whole guitar is painted black.

So, yesterday I started doing some research to figure out what the best way to go about sanding it down would be. I mean, I know how, i just didn't want to run into something that would harm the guitar. So anyways, I decided to just rough up the finish and keep it black to see how that suits me. I started at 320 grit and sanded all the way up to 2000 grit and then a final wet sanding with 2000 as well. Now the problem is that it feels pretty good, but it's not a completely smooth sanding job. I can still see the sanding marks.

I read somewhere that I need to buff and polish the finish. But wouldn't it make it glossy again and put me back to square one?

I also had another idea to just sand the neck down to bare wood and then use Tung oil for the final finish. The only issue with that is that my guitar is a neck through design.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to 'even out' my current sanding job? Or should I try to sand all the paint off the neck?
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame