i can do them im just looking for any techniques that can improve them
is there any way to do them where i wont have to pluck the string at a certain point for each different note?
When I pinch I usually put the nail of my middle finger against the string as I pick and that way I don't have to move my hand much for different frets. The only thing is that it doesn't work as well on front pickups so you should be on back pickup.
hmm i can try that
you mean you put the top of your nail on the string or the inside edge of your nail?
Look at videos at you tube and listen to Pantera, this is because the best way to learn harmonics (at least for me) is to see others to it and try it yourself.
Remember to use your bridge pickups and your distortion to 11.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Last edited by Pepefloydean at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by Pepefloydean
distortion to 11.

Not really needed; check out ZZ Top, Billy Gibbons uses pinch harmonics all over the place and he's hardly a "high-gain" player. Once you have good technique you should be able to make a pinch harmonics sound if you're playing clean, or even unamplified.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Pepefloydean
Look at videos at you tube and listen to Pantera, this is because the best way to learn harmonics (at least for me) is to see others to it and try it yourself.
Remember to use your bridge pickups and your distortion to 11.

If you are doing it right you don't need to do that. I can do pitch harmonics on my acoustic even. They scream like magic on the electric. Maybe i'm a natural guitarist though because I had about two years of just listening to recordings and just attempting to replicate the sounds with my fingers so I got allot of technique down without really needing to study it before I got serious into guitar. I'm serious about the technique on this one... It's all about digging your pick in. Some people strum this way incorrectly and can't get rid of this sound.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 4, 2008,
Ok, but you've listened to it for 2 years, so you don't need to listen to it now. I can do them on the acoustic guitar also, but its way easier to do them with a monstrous distortion on an electric guitar.

Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Pepefloydean
Ok, but you've listened to it for 2 years, so you don't need to listen to it now. I can do them on the acoustic guitar also, but its way easier to do them with a monstrous distortion on an electric guitar.

what I meant was that I messed around before I got into guitar for the last 6 years... after those few years of messing around. Not listening but playing and replicating. I had time to figure it out.

Monsterous distortion does not = pitch harmonic much in the same that that yelling is not necessary for screaming in vocals...(see Zen of Screaming)

Basically if you need use allot of distortion to do it your screams will not be as clear. You will be extremely limited as a guitarist.
A lot of guitar players get the songs by the tabs, but if you mess around with the guitar and try to play things by ear its better.

About distortion, I don't use that much distortion for harmonics but we may agree that with an amount of distortion you will get better harmonics, not very little and not 'monstrous' as I said.

Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
i think the amount of dist. sort of gives the harmonic a different sound
im doing the same one with and without heavy dist. right now, and it just has a different sound, not: dist=good none=bad