Page 1 of 2
The polar opposite to the other thread.

Now I know there are obvious ones, such as various Agalloch, Opeth, and Ulver songs, but what are your favorite non metal songs by metal bands?

One of my favorites is The Bard's Song (In the Forest) by Blind Guardian.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
what about nothing else matters, metallica?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Everything from The Acoustic Verses by Green Carnation. Actually, The Quiet Offspring isn't very metal either. But both albums are absolutely amazing, particularly Purple Door, Pitch Black and Pile of Doubt (from The Quiet Offspring) and 9-29-045 (from The Acoustic Verses).
I found the Quite Offspring to be a bit disappointing, but I really like A Place for Me and Child's Play.

Those are good non metal songs.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Cradle of Filth's cover of Temptation springs instantly to mind.
Take a look to the sky just before you die...it's the last time you will...
Bards Song is quite metal.

God that song gives me the shivers.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Bards Song is quite metal.

God that song gives me the shivers.

Absolutely, that was the first song I ever heard by BG and it still hasn't lost its touch, although Another Holy War or And Then There Was Silence have overtaken it for my favourite BG song.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
The polar opposite to the other thread.

Now I know there are obvious ones, such as various Agalloch, Opeth, and Ulver songs, but what are your favorite non metal songs by metal bands?

One of my favorites is The Bard's Song (In the Forest) by Blind Guardian.

I ****ing love The Bard's Song.

For me though, Windowpane and Benighted by Opeth are my favorites besides that song.
Burden by Opeth is getting up there on my list.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Metallica's "Tuesday's Gone" is strangely good. and if you count System Of A Down as metal, then their cover of "Shame On A Nigga" is awesome IMO
Through Her Eyes and The Spirit Carries On by Dream Theater.

I love that album!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Boy, there are so many. But randomly off the top of my head:

Ferrum Aeternum - Ensiferum
Something by Asmegin....I forget the name.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Usually when metal bands make non-metal songs, they're the most enjoyable highlights of the album. Either that or they just help enhance the feel of the entire album.
I've found Jesus
I agree.

I love acoustic songs by metal bands.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Contraband

Ferrum Aeternum - Ensiferum

This song has always done it for me. Its intricate simplicity (if that makes any sense at all) makes that track refreshing every time I listen to it.

Plus it embodies Ensiferum very well.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Kobrakai
Cradle of Filth's cover of Temptation springs instantly to mind.

Same here.

Today in music appreciation we were just listening to music we wanted to, and I played it and the teacher asked who it was, and I thought he was gonna bust me for listening to stuff with growls and screams, but insead he said he would listen to some of their music tonight!!!!!!
Quote by RIP Back in Red
Same here.

Today in music appreciation we were just listening to music we wanted to, and I played it and the teacher asked who it was, and I thought he was gonna bust me for listening to stuff with growls and screams, but insead he said he would listen to some of their music tonight!!!!!!

Music appreciation? Is that a class?
And you get to listen to stuff you want to during class time?!
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Neo Evil11
what about nothing else matters, metallica?

+1
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Opeth - Hope Leaves

Behemoth - The Touch of Nya

Death - Voice of the Soul

To name a few.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by destroy_techno
Music appreciation? Is that a class?

Yeah, and we're doing a project where you choose a song (appropriate lyrics ), do a paper, powerpoint, and a presentation. My group got done REALLY early, so for the 2nd to last week of school all I have to do is listen music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::type
I don't think ballads should count, as almost every band does them, regardless of genre. Perhaps weirder stuff like when a metal band does a Rock'n'roll song? (Admittedly a much rarer occurance)

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Metallica-Hero of the Day
Nile-Any of their instrumentals
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Death - Voice of the Soul

I disagree.
[You Figure It Out] - Nuclear Assault
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I really wouldn't call Ulver a metal band. As connected as they are to the metal scene, only two of their nine albums are metal at all.

Oh, and In Flames - Dawn Of A New Day
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Anything Tobias Sammet does, hurfhurf.

Without thinking too much, Through Her Eyes by Dream Theater is the only one that really comes to mind, unless you also count Space-Dye Vest as non-metal. Amazing, beautiful songs.
Svieri Doroga - Kalmah

/thread
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by slayerific

I disagree.

That it's not metal...

I don't see what you're disagreeing with.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Alestorms cover of Flower of Scotland, they did metal it up a wee bit though.
Quote by destroy_techno
Opeth's Damnation album, and a number of other tracks

but they are awesome tracks anyway

what he said.

and the intro to dirge for november.
Geasa - Spancilhill
Primordial - A Dark Song, Solitary Mourner, On Aistear Deireanach, The Cruel Sea
Belinus - Croi Dorcha Na Coillte
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
The Plauged by Cryptopsy off their new album. You can't even call that song deathcore, I don't even know what to describe it.
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Oops I did it Again - Children of Bodom (lulz)
God Save the Queen - Motorhead
Carry on my Wayward Son - The Showdown
Page 1 of 2