Since I now have summer vacation, I have a lot of free time as my friends have all gone off someplace or another.

Sooooooooo... I need a practice routine. Can you guys suggest some practice routines that would be around 5-8ish hours a day?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
look up steve vai's routine
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Well, i could suggest lots, but the best thing to do is order the 3 things you need to improve most and spend an hour on each and 2 hours playing and composing each day. Voila, 5 hours and you're having fun as well!
Quote by zackk
look up steve vai's routine

That is an excellent routine. His focus on chromatic scales will help you to overcome certain movements that you are accustomed too from practicing scales too much. It helped me overcome my fingers being stuck in box positions and not loose about a year ago. Highly recommend. I also recommend that you learn endless rain by Joe Satriani. It passes through every single key and forces you to stretch your fingers and strengthen your wrist is ways you think you have mastered, but I doubt you have.

Edit: I attached the endless rain tab to guitar pro.
Attachments:
endless_rain.zip
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 4, 2008,
are you supposed to sweep endless rain? or alt pick it? or arpeggiate it as chords?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Jun 6, 2008,
Thread is relevant to interests. For last summer's routine, I learned Paganini's 24th caprice (110-120 bpm-ish), it helped me a lot because there are some really difficult passages in there, and also it goes through lots of techniques (sweeping, INTENSE string skipping like from E to e, tapping on all strings, the option of using harmonics though none are stated etc.)
I never had a tab for it, which probably would've made things easier, but if you can, try to read it from notation. It helped me a little bit as I was learning the fretboard at the same time as I learned this.
Last edited by one vision at Jun 6, 2008,
how do i get my hands on that?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
So many people want to use "routines." That's good to an extent but really just use logic. Work on technique/composing/ear-training, or whatever it is you want to for however long you want to.

I'd say the most important part is being consistent and writing in a progress journal.
Don't forget to take breaks every 20-30 minutes!

/mom
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
^you know if there are any guitar pro files for that?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Thanks. Isn't Eugene's Trick Bag based off of Paganini's 5th Caprice?

EDIT: I just looked at the tab. Holy Shit! That's pretty damn insane.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Yeah, as far as I know ETB is based somewhat on the 5th. And yeah, its freaking hard. But, its a great way to work on Alt. picking, sweeping, hybrid picking, and string skipping. And obviously you don't have to start it at 168 BPM. That was just the speed they had for an article where Yngwie Malmsteen tabbed it.
Quote by Psychedelico
are you supposed to sweep endless rain? or alt pick it? or arpeggiate it as chords?

You should try sweeping it and you should also try playing it as chords with your fingers fixed. Both of the exercises you strengthen your hands in different ways. The intent of the song originally was to be played with chords and to stretch your fingers.
Quote by silentdud
You should try sweeping it and you should also try playing it as chords with your fingers fixed. Both of the exercises you strengthen your hands in different ways. The intent of the song originally was to be played with chords and to stretch your fingers.

Haha i've given up on trying to play them as chords. My effeminate hands can't do it.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by TheShred201
Yeah, as far as I know ETB is based somewhat on the 5th. And yeah, its freaking hard. But, its a great way to work on Alt. picking, sweeping, hybrid picking, and string skipping. And obviously you don't have to start it at 168 BPM. That was just the speed they had for an article where Yngwie Malmsteen tabbed it.

yeah... at malmsteen's speed it made Eugene's trickbag look like mary had a little lamb .
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
Haha i've given up on trying to play them as chords. My effeminate hands can't do it.

Once you are ready to do it, you will grow greatly from it.
Quote by TheShred201
hahahah. That's why ETB is often brought up as a somewhat introductory shred song and Paganini's 5th isn't.

Hey how do I edit the repeat of the second last bar to only twice? It's repeating endlessly.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you