Page 1 of 4
Can you actually learn the basics of playing from the game Rock Band on PS3 or Xbox 360? My buddy swears by it and says he learned the basics of playing guitar... i really don't belive this. Anyone contest to this?
there's no way.

real guitar is 6349457593734403X more complicated than Rock Band.

Rock band=5 buttons

guitar=120-144 notes, plus harmonics, plus bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibrato, etc.

therefore Rock Band =/= real guitar.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
You might can learn how to hold a guitar and learn how certain notes sound, but I don't think you can actually learn how to play a real guitar from a Rock Band controller. Drums maybe, but not guitar.
rock band/guitar hero make you WORSE at real guitar from my experience

and i can say the same for the drums
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
is ur buddy ny good at guitar?
the only thing i can possibly think it helps with is maybe sense of rythm/timing, but nothing else, it might work the other way round - being gd at guitar helps u at rock band/guitar hero, but i doubt an unrealistic game helps with actualy guitar at all.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
It might work for drums, just because you will become more coordinated, but guitar? Hell no
guitar is actually easier than some of the things you do on guitar hero, like really simple 5th chord sequences are made incredably complicated which wouldn't help you learn at all
maybe it'll show you how an actual guitar looks like
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Quote by rockinbeat
Can you actually learn the basics of playing from the game Rock Band on PS3 or Xbox 360? My buddy swears by it and says he learned the basics of playing guitar... i really don't belive this. Anyone contest to this?

No, you can't.

Drums, a little bit...singing I suppose...guitar, absolutely no way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Playing guitar might help you be better at guitar hero, but it isn't the other way around. You can't learn an instrument with 144 notes by playing a piece of plastic with 5 buttons.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Well I felt that having played Rock Band/GH3 before starting guitar it did help a little bit with figuring out rhythm and very basic finger transitions but now that I know how to play guitar, the strumming on rockband/gh seems really unnatural and I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be with that. They're different but for finger movements they help each other a little little bit
i play rock band/guitar hero quite a bit and it doesnt help with the guitar at all. maybe it could help you stretch your fingers a bit (if your on expert) but not really. these games arent meant to be a guitar simulation, just a fun game. its nowhere near being a simulation of the guitar.

and the game never made me worse at guitar, i dont see why a videogame would make me worse at guitar.
It might help a little with rhythm a little but not much else
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I would point out to all the people who've said that it's 144 notes on a guitar that you're wrong: the guitar has between 45-48 notes for a 6-string.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would point out to all the people who've said that it's 144 notes on a guitar that you're wrong: the guitar has between 45-48 notes for a 6-string.

Depends if you mean discrete pitches or if you're counting multiple instances of each note though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

ill second that notion, well played
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

On a 24-fret guitar there would be 144 notes, just a lot of them would be enharmonic to each other.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
There are two things that Rock Band / Guitar Hero can do for you. The first is giving you a sense of timing and rhythm if you have never played in a band before. The second is an appreciation of playing music in a band setting. I credit GH for giving me the desire to pick up a real guitar again. These days I hardly ever play GH or RB, I practice my guitar instead. A real guitar paired with Guitar Pro for the PC can emulate the video game experience to a degree with you playing actually tabs instead. The forth coming Guitar Rising uses a real guitar in a game setting that will be a better practice aid. And I have heard news from NAAM '08 that Guitar Rising is just the tip of the iceberg. There are going to be a lot of new game/trainers coming out for use with a real guitar in the next 12 months.
Quote by steven seagull
Depends if you mean discrete pitches or if you're counting multiple instances of each note though.

I think the thinking that say there's 144 notes lends itself to a restricted way of thinking; I mean different pitches after all; you can play the same E on all 6 strings on a 24 fret guitar but it's all the same pitch.

Quote by Ringtone
On a 24-fret guitar there would be 144 notes, just a lot of them would be enharmonic to each other.

Enharmonic equivalents are not the same thing at all; that's just different names for the same pitch, the guitar has at least 45 notes that are repeated (i.e. the same pitch) all over the fretboard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by rockinbeat

Hand your guitar to your buddy and tell him to "show you the basics".
Nope.

The opposite is true tho imo. Playing real guitar can help your GH playing Improved flexibility and you get a better grasp on the idea of moving your hand around on a fretboard. First time I played GH it was a nightmare if I had to move my hand down to reach the orange button, after some time on guitar with all the frets GH was ezmode
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
Rock Band / GH3 can be good for actual guitarists to practise their timing and their finger placement, but no you can't learn a guitar from a controller... a real guitar is about 6 gazillion million billion times harder than hitting 5 buttons.
Only think I believe it helps with is finger strength/dexterity. Only if you were a beginner though.
I also credit GH3 to my getting back into guitar. I also prefer to practice guitar to playing GH3 anymore.

However, I found that playing guitar helped my in GH3 and that playing GH3 helped me in playing guitar. I think any activity that challenges the hand-mind connection would benefit any other activities requiring a hand-mind connection.
i think it would help with finger speed, my fingers are so much faster cuz of guitar hero
Quote by gtrplyr
i think it would help with finger speed, my fingers are so much faster cuz of guitar hero

No, they aren't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I actually find guitar hero to be useful in learning whole songs. The guitar hero tab helps me match up guitar tab to the song, and I can practice the song following along with guitar hero, using the tab as a reminder for what part of the song to play.
Quote by Static The Band
Rock Band / GH3 can be good for actual guitarists to practise their timing and their finger placement, but no you can't learn a guitar from a controller... a real guitar is about 6 gazillion million billion times harder than hitting 5 buttons.
wtf are you six?
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
I think it helps with rhythm and timing if your transitioning from guitar hero to guitar. It helped me in that way but after playing guitar now I've gotten terrible at the game which you can a credit to lack of "practicing" the game and the same can be said the other way if your playing guitar hero more than your playing guitar than of course it's gonna hinder your abilities.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by rockinbeat

I'm a noob too, so I don't really know, but I'm guessing that it can't help you unless you set up some kind of rig like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z0DHSk7SF2A

That's a video tutorial on how to make your electric guitar play guitar hero.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
there's no way.

real guitar is 6349457593734403X more complicated than Rock Band.

Rock band=5 buttons

guitar=12 notes, plus harmonics, plus bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibrato, etc.

therefore Rock Band =/= real guitar.

Fixed

The drums can supposedly give you a basic grasp of drumming but that's it....the mic might help the most novice of singers.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I know that it has helped me some when it comes to finger dexterity. Not necessarily dexterity for guitar, but dexterity overall and the independent movement of individual fingers. Which, I suppose, does help some with guitar....
Quote by OsokDracul
I know that it has helped me some when it comes to finger dexterity. Not necessarily dexterity for guitar, but dexterity overall and the independent movement of individual fingers. Which, I suppose, does help some with guitar....

I've been playing rhythm games for years and I tried real guitar before I started them and I got really discouraged because my fingers were just slow blobs. Now that I've been playing guitar hero for like 2 years and Stepmania for 4, my fingers are blazing fast.

So that's all I got out of Guitar Hero that translates to real guitar. However, I appreciate it even though I can't play well enough to USE the speed yet. I've gotten one of the things out of the way that takes TIME. It's not usually "you get it or you don't". You have to work at speed.

As many people have said, don't expect ANY technique from guitar hero at all. Trust me, try playing Mississippi Queen on a real guitar without knowing how to bend properly. But at the same time, guys, don't get so angry when people bring up guitar hero l like the game has encroached on the sanctity of guitar playing even though some of the newcomers are cocky Guitar Center kids...Love, guys!
Page 1 of 4