Page 1 of 2
Well Pit, even though you guys rarely get asked questions based on morals, and there may be a very valid reason for this.....but I come here seeking a bit of moral guidance.

You see, last week, my Grandad died. Now, I wasn't too emotionally cut up about this, as he was 89, and at that age, its not as if the person was 'snatched from you'. If i'm gonna be honest, it hasnt affected my day-to-day schedule at all (I know that sounds heartless).

The thing is, if i've had a recent family bereavement (like i have) then I can apply for 'special consideration' in my A level exams next week. This would mean I would get an extra 5% on these exams. This may not seem alot, but the grade boundaries are only 10% from each other, so it would most likely result in an increased grade in 1 or 2 of my subjects.

In short, should I apply for this 'special consideration' just for the marks, or do you feel I'd be cheating the system and cheating on all the other students doing these exams?
I'm feeling morally split about this, but as it stand at the moment i'm not gonna apply for it.
Drive me home Jeeves
i dont see why you shouldnt do it...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
..your grandfather died, you have all the validity you need. they're just dumb for making the option of special consideration, anyone could say a family member died.
Quote by GarlicBread
Well Pit, even though you guys rarely get asked questions based on morals, and there may be a very valid reason for this.

It's the Pit. What do you expect.

And there's not reason why you shouldn't do it. You're not going to be cheating people as your circumstances are legitimate.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
what would your granddad want for you?
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
If you're eligable for it, then go for it. You may not feel too affected by it at the moment but wait until the funeral (assuming you had a decent relationship with him).
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I see the dilemma there, but I'd go for it.
You're being offered a leg-up to getting better grades that could help you further down the line... do it.
No shame in availing yourself of all possible advantages. You didn't write the rules.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
if you have to "apply" for it, they may have you do an interview with a counsellor to make sure you really are berieved. I'd look into it a bit more before proceding.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Týr
if the system exists, use it.

This.
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Do what you feel like.
I wouldnt because i wouldnt want to use my grandfather's death as an excuse.
The whole special consideration thing is a bit of a joke really, some people can get 1% extra for having a headache on the day or something........so i'm tempted.
But there is, as ChristianE says, using his death as an excuse for extra marks. Maybe i'll talk it over with my mum, as she was much closer to him than I ever was, and see if she has a problem with me using his death to gain an advantage.
Drive me home Jeeves
Yeah do that, actually that's the first thing I'd have done, talk it over with my mum.
If she's cool with it then definitely go for it, though I can understand your dilemna. Just think though, he'd probably be glad something good came out of his death.
it depends what you think is more important, the result or what the result stands for.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Do it. I see no shame in it. It's not like your selling his organs on the black market to pay for school or something.

Quote by GarlicBread
Well Pit, even though you guys rarely get asked questions based on morals, and there may be a very valid reason for this.....

The entire pit is a very valid reason.
Last edited by Tire Me. at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by yellowlizard
Yeah do that, actually that's the first thing I'd have done, talk it over with my mum.
If she's cool with it then definitely go for it, though I can understand your dilemna. Just think though, he'd probably be glad something good came out of his death.

No need, it's not his mother's decision if he's depressed and such.
Nah don't do it, then if you just scrape a grade you'll feel like it wasnt your own merit.
I could have applied to have that for my GCSE's. And my parents are in middle of a divorce too so i would have got more. But i know it doesnt affect my work too much so if i get good marks without it - go me :P.

Up to you though, its pointless unless you actually lost a member of your immediate family.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
Quote by triggerhappy19
..your grandfather died, you have all the validity you need. they're just dumb for making the option of special consideration, anyone could say a family member died.

Not anyone can say it, they need to see a corpse (or at least a severed limb).
Do it. It may seem like you're taking advantage of your grandfather's death, but why pass up the opportunity? I didn't know your grandfather, obviously, but I'm sure he would have liked his grandson to get the best grades possible.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Look at it from his point of view. I think he'd be more concerned with you succeeding in the long run.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
A real morality play would have been "So pit. Should I kill my grandfather in order to receive an extra 5% on my A level exams"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by ValoRhoads
if you have to "apply" for it, they may have you do an interview with a counsellor to make sure you really are berieved. I'd look into it a bit more before proceding.

Taking this into account, I would practice crying on command.
also why would you ask UG? its your own decision...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Jackal58
A real morality play would have been "So pit. Should I kill my grandfather in order to receive an extra 5% on my A level exams"
Haha so true

this question is too easy
Well, after contacting my college, i've found out that I don't need to apply for this until the 'marking stage', which I assume is when I've sat the exams. I'm not gonna apply for it unless I feel that I did particularly badly on an exam, because I'd rather get into university off my own back. These exams are kinda a representation of how I can make it on my own (my teachers are useless). Thanks for the advice guys
Drive me home Jeeves
Do it. There's no reason not to. You're grandad's died. Take the consideration you deserve for being possibly emotionally wrecked.

And :O The pit has morals!?!?!? :O
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Well Pit, even though you guys rarely get asked questions based on morals, and there may be a very valid reason for this.....but I come here seeking a bit of moral guidance.

You see, last week, my Grandad died. Now, I wasn't too emotionally cut up about this, as he was 89, and at that age, its not as if the person was 'snatched from you'. If i'm gonna be honest, it hasnt affected my day-to-day schedule at all (I know that sounds heartless).

The thing is, if i've had a recent family bereavement (like i have) then I can apply for 'special consideration' in my A level exams next week. This would mean I would get an extra 5% on these exams. This may not seem alot, but the grade boundaries are only 10% from each other, so it would most likely result in an increased grade in 1 or 2 of my subjects.

In short, should I apply for this 'special consideration' just for the marks, or do you feel I'd be cheating the system and cheating on all the other students doing these exams?
I'm feeling morally split about this, but as it stand at the moment i'm not gonna apply for it.

Do it,

And read the stranger [its sometimes entitled the outsider] by albert camus...
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Do it. You're not hurting anyone, and I'm sure your grandfather would've wanted you to do well in your exams.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by triggerhappy19
No need, it's not his mother's decision if he's depressed and such.

He's already stated that he wasn't too cut up about the death of his grandfather.

If he was really depressed then obviously he'd have no quams about taking the extra marks.
In my eyes it'd probably be morally wrong for you to do it if you genuinely aren't cut up about his death.
I know what competition for college places is like, here at least, and I'd hate to think that I didn't get in because someone got an extra 5% for no reason.

Don't do it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Take advantage of the oppurtunity that is being presented to you.

I'm sure that your Grandfather would not mind that his passing afforded you an oppurtunity o receive special consideration on you exams.
Page 1 of 2