Hey people!

I've decided i want a new guitar! And needed some help choosing! I play all sorts of stuff,

normally stuff i play: NOFX, Blink 182, Goldfinger, ACDC, Metalica, Hendrix but anything really...
Amp: Vox AD50 Valvetronix amp
Budget: £300 + £350

I've been looking at: http://www.prsguitars.com/sesinglecut/index.html and read a few good reviews but wanted some suggestions and comments first!

Throw anything my way to consider if you would!
That guitar would be a perfect fit for what you want to play. Nice mahogany body for sustain and not too shabby of hardware either.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
If you're gonna go PRS, go for the standard satin, charcoal finish. Sweet as hell.

http://www.prsguitars.com/standardsatin/index.html
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by Wigert
If you're gonna go PRS, go for the standard satin, charcoal finish. Sweet as hell.

http://www.prsguitars.com/standardsatin/index.html

He said £300-£350, they cost over a grand.

You might want to save up for a bit and get the PRS SE Custom, I liked it a lot and it played very nicely.

EDIT: I didn't realise, theyre both the same size, they both cost about £400, so you'll have to save up. If you don't want to, the PRS Tremonti SE is essentially a Singlecut with but with x2 vol x2 tone, and that's a decent guitar too.
Last edited by minibrowny at Jun 4, 2008,
Oh, forgot that. Hehe. Still damn hot guitar.

But yeah I like the PRS double-cut guitars much better.
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley

Clicky --->
washburn x50 pro?

or maybe a wi65pro idol... machinehead's blowing them out for £239. just check they aren't b-stock.

those'd be my picks for a 2-humbucker guitar under £300...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey guys! thanks very much for the feedback and ideas so far! I'm tempted to ring up machineheads 2mor and investigate those washburns! They look great and much cheaper than the PRS... gonna go read some reviews too! Keep the ideas coming guys!!!
humm still inconsisive after review reading.... i can't work our if the PRS is worth the extra wonga
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-les-paul-ultra/68272

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, pretty damn sweet.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-rgx-a2/70806

Yamaha RGX-A2, very strange guitar, you'd have to try before you buy with this might not be your style.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
hey dude thxs for the suggestion... i think the washburn cud still be winning this though
Quote by l2wis
humm still inconsisive after review reading.... i can't work our if the PRS is worth the extra wonga

if you ask me, it probably isn't. PRS has much greater brand recognition (not to mention, a non-crap headstock design ), therefore is a lot dearer, while probably of no better, indeed arguably less (at least in terms of the pickups and hardware) quality. much like how if fender make a strat (or epiphone a les paul/sg copy) at a given price, for a less well-known/sought-after brand to sell one of similar quality, they have to make it a lot cheaper, because if they were the same quality and price, most people would just buy the Fender/Epiphone. Heck a lot of people still buy the fender or epiphone, even when they know it's inferior! to some people it's worth extra money to have the right name on it, even if it's a lesser instrument.

similar thing here. those washburns (any i've tried anyway) are worth far more than £239, at least compared to similar quality and specced guitars on the marketplace. Yamaha are similar to washburn in this respect...

of course, all this goes out the window if you try the PRS and vastly prefer it to the washburn- you may prefer the PRS neck shape, etc., which is personal preference, but which will be a major factor in whether you prefer one or the other. on paper, the washburn is better value, but there's no substitute for trying both.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as i said, though, if you are interested in the washburn, the first thing you'd want to do is make sure they aren't seconds/b-stock. they don't say they are, but that doesn't mean they aren't, as that price is approaching too-good-to-be-true. also, i'd make sure those wi65pros are still made in korea, as if they've shipped off their manufacture elsewhere, that could explain the lower price (and I couldn't in good conscience recommend them, as I've only tried korean-made examples).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's my orignal suggestion to another UGer looking for a new guitar.

..."you should try to consider what you want from a guitar (not music styles so much but construction)
What scale do you feel most comfortable playing? (24-3/4, 25 or 25-1/2)
What is your favorite fingerboard? (ebony, rosewood or maple)
What is your prefered neck profile? (round, wide/flat, narrow etc)
Do you prefer set-neck or bolt-on?
What kind of pickups do you want? (soapbar, humbucker, single coil or combination)
Do you want a fixed bridge or tremolo?
If you go tremolo do you want locking hardware or standard HW?
What body shape and finishes do you like best ?(strat or gibson - two most commonly copied forms)
What other appointments do you like (dot, block or figured inlays, bindings on neck//body, see-thru finishes or solid colours)
Use these questions to help narrow down your ideal guitar and go from there!"
^ that's not bad.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey guys! I feel bad for not updating this tread cos i went ahead and ordered a washburn! I rang the guys up at machine head and asked about the guitars and they explained that it's a end of the line model and they brought them all!

Anyways! roll on 8:15 this morning! Just over an hour ago! My guitar ARRIVED! I tuned it in and gave it a blast! Its a superb guitar! I've had grovers in my first guitar (put them in myself) These feel even better than those! As for sound and Fretboard it's all nothing but ace! The action was set up nice and low (As i'd requested) and the neck is relatively thin (which is great for my short fingers)! Over all super pleased with the washburn and im so glad i didn't overspend on a PRS.... As for the headstock design.... u can't have everything hahahhaha =D
Congratulations man.

Pics or it didn't happened.

Quote by SkyValley

Clicky --->
very nice! very glad you're pleased with it, that makes sense about it being end of line too.

shame about the headstock, but as you say, you can't have everything, and if something has to give, it might as well be the headstock design rather than something which might affect playability or sound.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love the design.

Quote by SkyValley

Clicky --->