Page 1 of 2
Found them in someone's sig in another metal forum that shall not be named. It's like death metal that's melodic without being melodic death metal. They've got to be one of the best unsigned bands I've heard in a while, and that's saying a lot since I'm pretty picky about death metal.

http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Thoughts?
Sound like Demilich?!

*clicks link with hiiigh expectations*
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I didn't like it for some reason. I can see the comparison to Demilich at times though, but I prefer Demilich.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
I dig this.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

BUUUUMMMP
Last.fm told me to listen to these guys, so I did.
Quite interesting I must say.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
If you don't see rexxz around again, it's because he's hard at work on musical projects probably...such as Cosmic Atrophy.

Timeghoul and Demilich are a couple of this band's influences, as well as Autopsy and Incantation. Good band.
Good band. Not as good as Demilich (not that the can be blamed, since Nespithe is the greatest death metal album ever), but definitely worth checking out.

This is one of those rare progressive and/or "weird" death metal bands that not only holds together, but generates an atmosphere. Unlike bad prog bands of all varieties, who patch together different artistic impulses in the same key or tempo and call it a song, these riffs are made to work together as if part of a continuing dialogue within each song.

Comparisons to Demilich, Voivod and Gorguts would be appropriate. Cosmic Atrophy do not try for the killer awkward and difficult riff, but fit together a series of smaller, eerie riffs that comprise an overall attitude or spirit to each song. The 2009 teaser track you can hear on their myspace represents not a new direction but a clearer vision of the same direction they showed on 2008's Codex Incubo.

Cosmic Atrophy -- Progressive Death Metal from Houston

Seems like a neat act. Houston needs more weird death metal. Leave the hippie weird to Austin.
We're about to have a brand new web page online soon, and the album is almost done!
Quote by rexxz
We're about to have a brand new web page online soon, and the album is almost done!

Great news, I've been looking forward to your next effort for quite a while now. Codex Incubo is pretty damn amazing and I was surprised when I first heard it that it was entirely coherent, unlike most bands who attempt to sound bizarre.

Very evocative stuff, which is exactly what I look for in music.

Codex Incubo also managed to make me completely oblivious to the fact that the drumming was done by a machine.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jun 27, 2009,
Thanks for the comments! I can't wait for our next album to be finished, I'm just waiting on the drums now.
Thanks rex, great band
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
By the way I should have mentioned that we have an interview in ASTRAL CORPSE #1 which is a pretty cool zine that just started. For any of those who are interested in collecting these, I recommend it!

http://www.myspace.com/astralcorpsezine

Cover Design

The first issue is OUT NOW and contains interviews with unholy master FATHER BEFOULED, GRAVEYARD, FORCE OF DARKNESS, COSMIC ATROPHY, STARGAZER, CRUCIAMENTUM, KARNARIUM, CACODAEMON/LANTERN, VANHELGD, INFINITUM OBSCURE, and NAUSEANT + an ABSU concert review. Not to mention plenty of reviews and articles on the latest musical abominations to rise up from the cesspool of true ancient Death Metal. Contact mfisher@macalester.edu to get a copy of issue 1. 5$ US and 7$ World.
I had no idea you guys were working on new stuff until now. Glad to hear it's almost done.
Yeah you can check out a teaser track on the myspace if you haven't already. It's a rough demo of one of the new songs... it will be completely remixed and of course the drums re-recorded but the song is still going to remain the same.
Just listening to Codex Incubo for the first time. This is pretty awesome/unique, I just wrote this album down on my big big piece of paper that contains albums I need to pick up.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Quote by Penisaur
Just listening to Codex Incubo for the first time. This is pretty awesome/unique, I just wrote this album down on my big big piece of paper that contains albums I need to pick up.

Much appreciated!

Some more news: We're working under a new label formed by myself and a good friend of mine which will be releasing this second album sometime in October. The website for the label is being coded right now and should be finished by the end of September. More details to follow as soon as they become relevant.
Yeah things are starting to fall in place and it's looking like it will definitely be in October. Thanks for the compliment! I'll post more details soon, such as the cover art.
Okay, after some unexpected delays I am finally receiving the drum tracks this week. This unfortunately will push the release of our second album back a month to November, but I am glad it is just that and not more. Will post some more teaser material as soon as possible!
Quote by rexxz
Okay, after some unexpected delays I am finally receiving the drum tracks this week. This unfortunately will push the release of our second album back a month to November, but I am glad it is just that and not more. Will post some more teaser material as soon as possible!

November is a good time to release. Right before Xmas.
Hello everyone, sorry for the silence regarding our second album, "Montis Ex Dementia". We've had quite a few delays in the final production stages of this album, but I am pleased to announce that things are finally starting to get wrapped up. The album will be out in Q1 2010 by Dark Descent Records. You can check out a instrumental teaser demo track on our MySpace player at http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston !
Last edited by rexxz at Mar 4, 2010,
^ Great news! I will be picking this new one up immediately.

Also, Consumed From Within the X-Zone is suuuuch a great song.
The completion of Cosmic Atrophy's second full length concept album (based on the work At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft), titled Montis Ex Dementia, is drawing very near. The opening song of the album is available in its entirety at the myspace page for listening. Please check it out today!

Listen to the song here: http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

About time! This has definitely been one of my most anticipated albums of 2010. Sick cover art based on an even sicker story as well.
New song sounds awesome.

Cosmic Atrophy have made the first song from their second album, Montis Ex Dementia, available on their myspace page. The new album will be released this year by Dark Descent Records, and features more of a Cadaver influence on their Morpheus Descends, Timeghoul and Demilich-influenced progressive death metal.

Cosmic Atrophy - Montis Ex Dementia: a close-up

Interview with Cosmic Atrophy about the new album

Looking forward to it!
Quote by rexxz
The completion of Cosmic Atrophy's second full length concept album (based on the work At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft), titled Montis Ex Dementia, is drawing very near. The opening song of the album is available in its entirety at the myspace page for listening. Please check it out today!

Thank you. Really looking forward to it
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Wow, this is great!

I really can't think of anything else to say, this is just awesome stuff.
Page 1 of 2