I'm looking for some POD XT sample sounds that you personally have recorded. My buddy recently bought one and is complaining that it sucks and he can't get the metal tones out of it that he wants but I have heard several people play through it and it has sounded relatively decent.

So what I'm looking for is songs, samples etc that you have recorded and the specs on how you recorded it so that I can pass the info on to him. Please include the following: which interface you used, which plug-in or model pack etc. It would be a great help.

Please refrain from ignorant flames as I couldn't care less what someone else plays through I'm just trying to help a brutha out.

ps. I tried out a POD XT and unplugged from it in less than half an hour because I thought it sounded poopy as well so I too could use some convincing.

Thanks all.
If you check my profile, you can hear some half-ass home recordings done straight from a POD X3 Live into my mixer, into Pro Tools. These are all amp simulations that already were on the POD XT, I just wanted to switch to the floor version and get the extra inputs/outputs for recording, so I ended up selling my XT kidney bean and went for the X3 Live as soon as it came out.

Most of my distortion is a Marshall JCM800 simulation with delay, reverb and compression, and I forget which song, but at least one of them is a Mesa Dual Rectifier sim, with maybe just some reverb and compression on it.

It's all about the settings you use - for example, I see people plug this into the front of an amp, but then they forget that all their patches have reverb, so they end up having reverb coming from their POD AND their amp, so you need to turn off one to get rid of that weird boomy effect. Plus, you HAVE to use a very clean channel on your amp.

My recordings are direct-out, but when I'm not recording, or playing at my rehearsal space, it's generally going in the front of a clean channel tube amp (usually a Mesa half-stack at the rehearsal space, or a Mesa Mark II), and the POD sounds even better through a tube amp. My first real guitar teacher used a POD Pro into an old Exciter (like an old-school BBE Maximizer or BBE Sonic Stomp, more or less), and then into a Fender Blues Jr, and wow, did his settings just sound incredible. He had shockingly good tone out of a more-or-less cheap setup.

Don't believe the naysayers about the tone, it's all about what you're plugging into and the settings - remember Nine Inch Nails, Garbage, U2, and other bands have been recording their CDs using the direct out from some version of the POD for years now.
1)What are you guys using to amplify the XT? and what output have you selected(direct ,combo, pwramp ect)

2)What models are you using? Metal pack?

Also speaking from personal experience it take s a long time and a good ear to EQ these so they sound great. Also dont expect any patch you download to sound good from the get go. I find my self often having to change the cab sim(or turn it off!), eq via the knobs and eq section.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
1 - I use Direct if I'm recording direct, and I use STACK FRONT or COMBO FRONT if I plug into the amp's guitar input, from the Left Mono output from the POD. I actually prefer the sound in the fx loop of the amps I own, but I'm too lazy to mess with all the cabling since I move it around so much.

2 - The X3 Live comes with all the old packs combined into the unit, but on the POD XT I never bought extra packs, I just used the JCM 800, JCM 900, Plexi, and Dual Rect. simulations that come built-in. This thing has to be cheap to pickup used by now, it's worth it.
Fx return is indeed the way to plug into amps so the preamp gets bypassed.

Personally mine stays in direct 90% of the time as I find that works best with my Atomic and also for direct recordings. I occasionally use the poweramp output modes as they sweeten the harsh patches like the Criminal(5150) model.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

I find the POD does a pretty good job of compensating with its tone if you set it to Stack Front or Combo Front mode... it seems to know what to do to make it still sound good.

My next project with the POD X3 Live is to dig into the MIDI switching; my Marshall JVM head has switchable channels, so I may try playing for a couple months without any amp sim or pedal distortion from the POD, and instead try just using it as an effects/volume/tuner board, and actually make use of all these incredible-sounding Marshall amp tones I have at my fingertips.
When running into my Peavey 112, I go through the FX loop return to bypass the preamp section, and basically use it as a power amp with a speaker. Unfortunately, it does not have a very good power amp built in, but it still sounds decent.

I use the following settings:

Treadplate Dual Model:
Gain: 3:00 or 4:00
Bass: 12:00
Mid: 12:00 or 1:00
Treble: 2:00 sometimes less depending
Presence: 1:00 or 2:00

Stomp:

Tubescreamer Model:

Unsure of settings, will update later tonight

Cabinet: Either off or use the Treadplate 4x12 cabinet. Depends on situation whether recording direct or into my amp.

Room & Mic simulation... again depends. Live: off, Studio: Large hall, with a 57 or condenser......

You really have to tweak to get what you want... its great, but it can be bad too...

IMHO, all the defaults suck nuts.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Definitely agreed - the more I learn about effects, and the more I really learn and understand what to expect from each setting, each "dial", I get something better and better. That's the blessing and the curse of just relying on an "all-in-one" - at first I really didn't understand what everything did, and I didn't have the experience of slowly adding one component at a time to my signal chain, knowing exactly what's happening. I had to reverse-engineer effect-by-effect until I finally understood what was happening, and how each piece affects my physical amp as well.
Quote by halikus
1)What are you guys using to amplify the XT? and what output have you selected(direct ,combo, pwramp ect)

2)What models are you using? Metal pack?

Also speaking from personal experience it take s a long time and a good ear to EQ these so they sound great. Also dont expect any patch you download to sound good from the get go. I find my self often having to change the cab sim(or turn it off!), eq via the knobs and eq section.

Exactly, most fiddle with it for 10 minutes without knowing what they are doing and then decide it must be the equipment that's at fault.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Just to let people know how long it takes for me to tweak a sound. I just spent the time since my last post setting my self up with a brutal 5150 patch for my PRS. I reckon i got the real knobs good but i still have a session with the EQ pedal till il be happy with it. That about 2 1/2 hours at Gig levels to sort a patch and im not even started with the verbs and other effects il chuck on the other patches of the bank. Also I bet any money if i try this patch tomorrow with fresh ears it will undergo more tweaks. This could taka good while longer....

On a side note who else here sorts their banks out by amp? I have an amp per bank for 10-32 and my live settings and effects only for my Engl on 1-10.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Last edited by halikus at Jun 4, 2008,
I think you can get a "passable" tone fairly quickly (probably no more or less time than laying down a bunch of individual pedals and playing with the individual knobs), but just like with pedals, if you're looking for perfection, you could spend hours, no doubt.
Il share my trick of the tweak! Im sure its not new but it aint half helpful. simply A/B the sounds using the other patches. Kinda obvious but you'd be amazed at the number of people who dont do it
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor