Okay here is the idea, I have like 700 dollars. I own a Roland cube 15x and a squier strat. I was wondering if I should buy an epiphone les paul or buy a Fender stratocaster with a Vox 30x amp? Thanks!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
go to a music store and play both and see which one feels better to you.
Quote by mmjohn
go to a music store and play both and see which one feels better to you.

+1

They both can really be used for those genres.
Haha I live on an island where there are no commercial buisness's I don't have the luxury of playing the guitar I want to buy. Any other suggestions?
i personal prefer the les paul, because i really like the style of gibson guitars and it really has a great sound to. When I see a strat i always have some strange guy in mind who plays it up to his armpits. It's maybe just me, but i don't like strats at all
Quote by andrew6986
Haha I live on an island where there are no commercial buisness's I don't have the luxury of playing the guitar I want to buy. Any other suggestions?

How does one accumulate $700 on an island where there is nowhere to work?

Anyways, :P

I'm going to say Strat, but that's just because I like them. Again, it's really hard to know what you like.
Quote by Death|Unlimited
i personal prefer the les paul, because i really like the style of gibson guitars and it really has a great sound to. When I see a strat i always have some strange guy in mind who plays it up to his armpits. It's maybe just me, but i don't like strats at all

Haha, that's me.

J/K.

It's funny, because when I think electric guitar, I think Strat shape. I'm not insulting the LP shape at all, it's every bit as historic, but I guess the first I saw when I was little or something must've been a Strat.
Haha we have places to work here, all local buisness my friend =) I like classic rock and blues, is it worth it to buy the strat and the Vox?
Oh no worries haha =)

TheProducer, you have the same setup I want, hows it sound?
I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Telecaster. If I was to choose between one of them I would choose the Les Paul because it is much much much more versatile than the Telecaster. I play Rock/Blues and Hard Rock on my band and there I use my Les Paul because I prefer it for it, but for playing other of the styles I like (Jazz, Ska, Reggae, Latin Music) I use my Telecaster. My advice is that for distorted sounds: Les Paul, for clean sounds: Telecaster. In your case you should see what you play, try both of the guitars and decide over the Fender/Gibson debate of nearly 50 years.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Hmm thank you that was very helpful. I like to play more clean sounds, however I don't know how good my tone would be with a VOX 15w.
Quote by andrew6986
Oh no worries haha =)

TheProducer, you have the same setup I want, hows it sound?

Well, to be honest with you, I've never played the two together! I tested my Strat at the shop on some other amps because they didn't have mine. Now I'm waiting for the color I want to come in stock in about four weeks :S Also, it's and HSS Strat, so it has 1 humbucker and 2 single coils, kind of like a cross between the heavier sound on the LP caused by the humbuckers and the sound of a regular Strat.

As for the amp, I love it. It's very versatile and sounds very good for a SS amp. I would recommend. You can get a lot of different tones out of it, clean and dirty. Should do you fine unless you're playing some heavy metal, which you said you're not.
Quote by andrew6986
No offense to anyone, I hate heavy metal. Sounds mindless to me.

Well I don't use it for that either, so I'm satisfied.
Quote by andrew6986
Alright thanks for the help, I have decided to go with the les paul and vox

Which Epi Les Paul?
i'd take the strat
i dont like the bridges on gibson/epi guitars
dont know why, they just dont feel right

theyre both great guitars for rock/blues though
Quote by aedmiston
i'd take the strat
i dont like the bridges on gibson/epi guitars
dont know why, they just dont feel right

theyre both great guitars for rock/blues though

You know what, I do have to agree with the bridge thing, and I don't know why either.

When I got my Epi, I was like, what the...?!
Quote by Pepefloydean
I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Telecaster. If I was to choose between one of them I would choose the Les Paul because it is much much much more versatile than the Telecaster. I play Rock/Blues and Hard Rock on my band and there I use my Les Paul because I prefer it for it, but for playing other of the styles I like (Jazz, Ska, Reggae, Latin Music) I use my Telecaster. My advice is that for distorted sounds: Les Paul, for clean sounds: Telecaster. In your case you should see what you play, try both of the guitars and decide over the Fender/Gibson debate of nearly 50 years.

You've got a Thinline tele, which is quite a bit difference from a regular one. He's also looking at strats, which is pretty day and night difference from a thinline tele.
Quote by TheProducer
You know what, I do have to agree with the bridge thing, and I don't know why either.

When I got my Epi, I was like, what the...?!

yeah!
i just dont get it
but i do love les pauls
maybe someday when i have the time and money ill get one and swap out the bridge
Quote by Death|Unlimited

ha ha same here