my two JJ EL84s came in the mail today and not a minute too soon either they were in a small FedEx box and came in those small thin cardboard tube holders. then they were wrapped with the THICK bubble wrap, big bubbles not small ones, THEN wrapped in newspaper....so needless to say they were very safe the whole trip.

i talked with Doug from Dougstubes back and forth through email and he is a very nice guy as many probably know, very courteous and polite.

put the JJ in my blackheart and tested it out. compared to the stock power tube it is WAY more defined. i noticed an increase in a little bass frequencies that weren't apparent when i had the chinese garbage in there. It's very clear not that it wasn't before, but more defined overall. i have yet to really crank it so when i do i'll update yall. I'm getting ready to order a preamp tube to compliment it, i just didn't have enough money at the time to buy a pair of power and preamp tubes. I'm sure there'll be more change in sound w/ the preamp as it's more of the characteristics of the overdrive and such, but i got the power tube first as i figured with me cranking it all the time, it'd make more sense to upgrade the power tube first if i couldn't do them both at the same time.

I asked doug what preamp would give me the Jubilee overdriven characteristics the best and i'm waiting on his reply. I'll take any recommendations from UG as well.

i want the overdrive to be full of harmonics and give a (nice) feedback when cranked and really overdriven. yes as you can tell i want a very Slash-esque tone, i really dig the rich harmonics and crunchy-ness of the jubilee.

and i don't really care to hear anyone complain about 'another dumb slash fanboy wanting to sound like slash' as this thread is a happy one and i'd like to keep it that way.

thank ya much
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Nice, i gots an JJ EL84 in my palomino. For the preamp tube i'm using a tungsol 12ax7which is pretty nice, but i'm not sure which preamp tubes would give you what you want. Maybe someone in the tube thread could help?
JJ EL84's pwn.
I'd definitely get a good preamp tube to go along with it.
I'd go for a tungsol though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ive got a JJ high gain preamp together with the jj el84 and it made wonders for my dist pedal :P
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

^to mr. carrot:

i bought a pair b/c this is a 5 watt tube amp. i crank it a lot. so i'll be going through a couple power tubes a year give or take one. what's so crazy about that?! lol! not to mention i ordered 'early distortion' EL84s so they're biased a little hotter and therefor takes away a little life from them as i know you already know that.

is it bad to plan ahead?! lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh and another important question: for preamp tubes, what's the difference btw 'standard test' and 'balanced triodes'?

i know the blackheart has a 3/5 watt switch, so should i get the balanced triode one? or is it something irrelevant to the wattage selector.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i found out, there was a section that i hadn't read up on the FAQs that informed me. something to do with certain types of amps, it made it sound like 'standard test' is what the majority of amps use (go figure)
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Usually they say that you should put balanced triodes in the phase inverter slot. Usually the last tube slot. The one before the power section. I guess because you would want the same balance of phase in and out. If that makes sense.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
well the little giant only uses one power and one preamp lol. so i don't think it's gonna be that big of a deal
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
lol thanx for the tip forsakn but i already ordered a tung-sol reissue a few hours ago. it was a toss up btw that and a reissue mullard (not the NOS one, i can't spend that much mula lol), but the tung sol got it since i like my sound to have a modern taste to it. as much as i love vintage sounds, i gotta have a modern sound incorporated with it.

i'm assuming the difference in sound will be a lil more dramatic than with the power tube swap. ahh my amp is finally getting the quality components it deserves !!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yea i'm hoping that the new preamp tube will take that slight (just enough to be noticed when really really overdriven hard) fuzz/fizz out of the sound. if it doesn't then i'm convinced it's just the cab speaker still breaking in.

this is gonna be the best dorm amp at the university lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
ah ok, this guy was not aware of that!

well an EQ will definitely be in the pedal selection down the road. the fizz isn't prominent enough to make me dislike the amp. it does give it a kinda vintage sound added to it.

thanx
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^to mr. carrot:

i bought a pair b/c this is a 5 watt tube amp. i crank it a lot. so i'll be going through a couple power tubes a year give or take one. what's so crazy about that?! lol! not to mention i ordered 'early distortion' EL84s so they're biased a little hotter and therefor takes away a little life from them as i know you already know that.

is it bad to plan ahead?! lol.
I think you are very much underestimating how sturdy tubes can be.

Anyway, it's fizzy because it's a single ended EL84 amp. Having done almost every single mod in existence to my Valve Junior short of removing the PCB, it's very hard to dial out.

And them being 'early distortion' doesn't mean they're biased hotter, it probably means they distort sooner, or in other terms they have a small bit less output than other EL84s they have tested due to differences in structure quality? I doubt that will affect their life. Like at all?

Also, balanced triodes are fairly useless, they have to be balanced to a certain degree anyway and it makes no difference in a SE amp too.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
I think you are very much underestimating how sturdy tubes can be.

Also, balanced triodes are fairly useless, they have to be balanced to a certain degree anyway and it makes no difference in a SE amp too.

This is why MrCarrot is respected. He's smarter than Ryan Styles.

"Cranking fairly often" in a dorm enviroment? I don't find that terribbly likely. I didn't crank (dime) my VJ more than twice all last year in my dorm, and both times it was unreasonably loud in that small closed room. So you'll probably have a spare EL84 for longer than you thought! Two, now that you took the unbranded chinese one out.

12AX7's are great tubes, but it's worth pointing out that they are generally a little harsher than, say, a JAN Phillips 5751. A tube like a 5751 or a 12AT7 will add less preamp gain to your tone, resulting generally in a fractional loss of maximum gain, but a notable improvement in smoothness of said gain. I like 5751's in Fender amps with harsh OD (BJ, HRD, etc.), and 12AT7's in V1 of an amp that seems too harsh. Still, the fizzyness of an EL84 is just part of the character of the tube; it's certainly not a bad thing.

By the way, cheers!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Has anyone tried a 5751 in a VJ? I was thinking about it.
I tried a NOS Mullard 12AT7 which is very similar, it lowers the gain and clears it up a bit, makes it less woolly and more defined, but I never use my VJ anymore anyways, so a bit useless still
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Has anyone tried a 5751 in a VJ? I was thinking about it.

Yes. Good move, in my opinions. Either a Sovtek or JAN Philips will do nicely.
alrite this is just a lil input to the mr. carrot and the.spine.surfs:

i'm not expecting my power tube to wear out for a while. but at the same time you never know when you might drop (knock on wood) your precious amp head and somehow a tube crack or something. i'm very confident in the tube, but i also believe it's never a bad idea to be prepared for the unexpected

and i'm not in the dorms YET, so yes i DO crank the amp often very often lol. i can easily take it right outside and give it the goods anyday of the week. i even jam w/ the drummer and other guitarist around once a week or so. when i'm in the dorms it'll be my practice amp yea, but i'll also be bringing it home most weekends so i'll still get to crank it around once or twice a week.

i guess i sounded a little noobish in the tube amp dept. and i'm not claiming to be a genious, but i do have a good undertanding so far.

can't wait for the Tung-sol to get here! after that i'll be sending off my RM50 to Raleigh to get fixed and then i'll have my 'modern' sounding amp back. God i miss using that beast...it was my 'ultimate' amp and blew something inside after a month....but it's still under warranty!!! yay me!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
UPDATE: got my tung-sol preamp tube in the mail today!! wow Dougstubes.com is extremely fast and responsive with their service!! if you're gonna buy tubes definitely keep these guys on the top of ur dealer contact list!

the sound is much more articulated and has improved ALL AROUND. it sounds sooo much better and grittier! raw and gritty baby! i have a new clip in my profile so check it out to hear the improvement in sound!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

the sound is much more articulated and has improved ALL AROUND. it sounds sooo much better and grittier! raw and gritty baby! i have a new clip in my profile so check it out to hear the improvement in sound!!

Yeah the same thing happened to me when i retubed my palomino. Lots of clearer articulated, and better gain too.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
UPDATE: got my tung-sol preamp tube in the mail today!! wow Dougstubes.com is extremely fast and responsive with their service!! if you're gonna buy tubes definitely keep these guys on the top of ur dealer contact list!

Good for you!
Sounds like my CBB after I swapped out the V1 JJ for a RCA

You thought it was good before, then BAM, your tone becomes just that extra bit better.
Hopefully I can get the set of JJ's in my friend's BH LG and see how it sounds.
I would assume that the JJ 12ax7 would make the tone a bit darker than a tungsol.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
if i had enough experience w/ tubes other than the stock ones i might be able to confirm that lol. but yea the tone is pretty much perfect for my marshall sounds. it's just got so much growl and dirt to it when it's cranked, i had no idea the difference in sound would be so apparent.

i can feel it in my bones when i turn it up now lol. glad yall liked it
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH