know what you're playing, memorize the words. but mostly know the chords and riffs. singing should just come naturally. you'll hear the rhythm and melody which should make singing easier. plus try not to overthink or you'll most likely mess up.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by clemensbeck
Hey I am having trouble singing and playing at the same time... any advice???

I sometimes have this problem too because of the complexity of some of my songs.
Start by trying a simple song with a steady chord progression. "Paradise" by John Prine and "Pork and Beans" by Weezer are good starters.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by coffeeguy9
Know what beat each syllable you sing goes on with your guitar playing, break it down. They have to work dependent on each other.

Listen to this guy

Quote by clemensbeck
does it get easier the more you do it?

Yeah, it just takes practice.
it gets easier the more you do it. i think a lot of songs with just chords are easy but songs where you have to play other stuff, like good riddance by green day, thats more difficult. just practice. A LOT.
Quote by clemensbeck
does it get easier the more you do it?

yea.

about the beat syllable thing: what about songs that are a little "off beat", y'know? like mewithoutYou?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
I just try to find keywords that go together with a chord switch or something like that and focus on those, then everything inbetween just kinda flows.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Right now, I'm having trouble on the middle section of Yes' "Roundabout". How am I supposed to keep up with Bill Bruford, while playing the triplet-feel riff on the bass and singing? I guess practice is the word, even here.
Quote by marktuazon
yea.

about the beat syllable thing: what about songs that are a little "off beat", y'know? like mewithoutYou?

yeah it works for like simple songs but i'm having trouble singing and playing songs like Battery by Metallica and stuff like that.
Ben