Can I use a 10k pot for an emg 81? what effect will that have on the sound? I'm also planning on doing the 18v mod.
As far as I know, EMGs will not function correctly with anything other than a 25K pot.

May I ask why you want to try the 10K?

Oh, and 18v FTMFW
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Uh, it will work i'm almost positive, it will just sound different. I saw one guy who used 100k pots. The reason I wank to try 10k if because i have 10k, but not 25k.
25k pots are included in the package
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I bought a used one one the 'bay for 45 bucks. just the pup, the older style with the wires coming straight out of the pup, no clips.
^^^^

have fun with that one.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by SVStee
Uh, it will work i'm almost positive, it will just sound different...
If you knew it would work why ask? Just do it and see what happens.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
It would be interesting. I have seen them used with higher than 25k pots, but never anything less than that... Could blow them, they could sound like crap....either way, its a lose lose...but hey, try it and see what happens.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I know it will work, but what will it sound like, and has anyone done it before? Also I have 100k's would those be better?
Dude, just get a 25K that you know will work.

I'm all for experimenting on something worth experimenting with; this just isn't one of those things.

Just get a 25K pot, they cost less than $3 and you're guaranteed it will work as it should.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Does anyone have any helpful info on the effects this will have on the sound?
EMG says 250 or 500k pots will act like on/off switches.

That would lead me to believe that a 10K (15K in the opposite direction) would probably act the way you'd expect a 1meg pot to with passive pickups.

By the same logic, the 100K may be a little better than the 250 or 500 but still not offer you the typical range of control.

'Course this is all theoretical, but I've never heard of anyone ever using anything other than what is given/recomended.

FWIW, if I were you, I'd try the 10K first.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by SVStee
I bought a used one one the 'bay for 45 bucks. just the pup, the older style with the wires coming straight out of the pup, no clips.

so i was bidding against YOU!

------

Shwiggity.
lol, it's all good, I may be getting a Zakk Wylde set from someone else.
------

Shwiggity.