so here is the low down...we are a metal band...we kinda started out trying to be epic and stuff like that...well the drummer, rhythm guitarist and I (lead guitarist) dont really feel like doing cheesy epic battle music anymore...we just want to jam on some metal...nothing too lame.

problem is the singer never comes to practice and he still thinks he is in the band, plus he comes up with ideas like wearing chainmail and fur at shows...yeah...plus he is not that good of a singer and he sucks as a bassist.

some samples are on the myspace.

www.myspace.com/wailsofthedamned

another thing is that we are all good friends with him...

so any ideas?
kick his ass to the curb immediately.

or tell him you broke up and form a new band with a different name that plays whatever you want to play.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
if he is truely a friend that you should be able to be honest with him

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Just be honest. Honesty is key.

edit: Your music makes me want to slay dragons in the depths of hell
You aren't really a metal band if you're too scared to tell him you don't like what he brings to the band.
oh yeah and since you play metal, beating him to death with a mace then stringing up his body on a tree and taking a picture to use as an album cover is also an option.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Be honest with him and tell him that since he never comes to practices he's out. Tell him you need dedication and he hasn't given you that.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
Be honest with him and tell him that since he never comes to practices he's out. Tell him you need dedication and he hasn't given you that.

Agreed in general. Honesty is the best policy.
But I'd also add that maybe you should give him a chance to redeem himself. In any other industry, a person get's at least one official warning before being sacked, so it would seem to be the fair thing to do.
Tell him that if he doesn't start turing up to rehearsals regularly, he's out, or if he fails to turn up and gives you a lame excuse, he's out.
A favorite way of mine of dealing with similar problems is to fine the guy.
Most rehearsal places generaly cost money to hire. If someone fails to turn up, they've just wasted everyone elses money, so the band should demand that he pays them back.
As for the chainmail and fur.... (one moment while I compose myself and pick myself back up off the floor....)

Right, (he says, wiping away a tear) let me advise you that all bands, as well as having regular rehearsals, should also have regular band meetings where they just sit and talk about band business, generaly straight after a rehearsal is best.
At these meeting, the entire band should make themselves clear that no way in a month of Sundays is he gonna get any of the rest of you dressed up like 'Conan the Librarian' on a stage in front of fans, friends and family, and that hell will freeze over before any of you will be associated with a singer who decides to dress up in such a way.
Simply conveyed, if he wishes to wear that gear, he's on his own.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Agreed in general. Honesty is the best policy.
But I'd also add that maybe you should give him a chance to redeem himself. In any other industry, a person get's at least one official warning before being sacked, so it would seem to be the fair thing to do.
Tell him that if he doesn't start turing up to rehearsals regularly, he's out, or if he fails to turn up and gives you a lame excuse, he's out.
A favorite way of mine of dealing with similar problems is to fine the guy.
Most rehearsal places generaly cost money to hire. If someone fails to turn up, they've just wasted everyone elses money, so the band should demand that he pays them back.
As for the chainmail and fur.... (one moment while I compose myself and pick myself back up off the floor....)

Right, (he says, wiping away a tear) let me advise you that all bands, as well as having regular rehearsals, should also have regular band meetings where they just sit and talk about band business, generaly straight after a rehearsal is best.
At these meeting, the entire band should make themselves clear that no way in a month of Sundays is he gonna get any of the rest of you dressed up like 'Conan the Librarian' on a stage in front of fans, friends and family, and that hell will freeze over before any of you will be associated with a singer who decides to dress up in such a way.
Simply conveyed, if he wishes to wear that gear, he's on his own.

we dont really have to pay for a rehearsal space so thats out...but what you said we should do about the band meeting we already do.

the whole fur and chainmail came about because we all like folk metal bands...Ensiferum, Turisas, Tyr...stuff like that...i could maybe see us wearing furs if we were actually from Finland, or some other Scandinavian country....but were not...we are from Midwest ****ing Ohio...

well we are recording on friday and sunday so it looks like we are gonna have a nice talk about all of this.