I've been playing this past week and only now noticed something.

In the three or four years of playing the guitar, I seem to have reached a plateu. My acruaccy doesn't increase and neither does my speed. I think I've been on this plateu for over a year and never realized it.

What could be causing this?
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

your not practicing the right stuff
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Well, that doesn't really help much. You tell me I'm not practicing the right stuff. Well what is the "right stuff"?
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Do you go to see live bands? Especially your guitar hero's? Thats what cures it for me.

And try playing something totally different, playing ltos of classical guitar really opens up your mind and playing skills.
yeah i found myself there a while ago too, but then i actually looked at my playing and listened to some recordings I had done the previous year and realized how much better I had gotten. the problem was I was at a point where I was slowly improving because I was learning more difficult songs and grasping harder concepts. you probably are improving too but just dont realize it
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
Something that inspires you. Like when you're listening to a song you go.. I really want to learn how to play that. Then you do it. That's the only way that I've gotten better after hitting a plateau.

The right stuff is different for everyone.
Parker PM20-Pro
Ibanez SZ720FM
Peavey EXP
Takamine Acoustic-Electric
*Saving up for Parker Fly Mojo

VOX AD30VT
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100
Peavey XXX half-stack
Peavey XXL half-stack
Quote by guitarist10
I've been playing this past week and only now noticed something.

In the three or four years of playing the guitar, I seem to have reached a plateu. My acruaccy doesn't increase and neither does my speed. I think I've been on this plateu for over a year and never realized it.

What could be causing this?

You may not be practicing the right stuff or it may be that the things you can play already have some flaws in the technique that is hindering you, if you could post a video of yourself we could really help a whole lot more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Put a blindfold on and just play. Try it has helped me numerous times for writing guitar parts.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
well i see your point, i get that way alot sometimes, and when i feel like im at my best...
i see some real guitar players! and its a humbling experiance! so i practice extremely hard so hard that its really hard like and then i get better but dont really notice it till later...
I haven't been playing for 3 or 4 years (continuously anyway) but what is so weird for me is that I notice an improvement in my playing when I take a several day break from it.

I can't explain that, but works for me. If I keep playing day after day, sometimes it doesn't integrate as well into my hands.
i see what your saying... but i dont think its an improvement...
its more like having sex with your guitar...
Try playing something different. I find that if I get stuck on a plateau, it really helps to maybe play some jazz or something. Give that a blast, you'll be amazed at how a different style translates to your favourite style.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Find a great song, that is really hard to play. A bit out of your comfort zone, but not to much. So its a challenge. Work hard to be able to play it. Practise techniques that you need to be able to play it.

You may just get somewhere.

Ive never had this yet. But ive only been playing 2 and a half years
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
There is alwase moor therie and learning as much of it as u can will help drasticly with your creativeniss