so i was thinking about getting a peavey 212 amp soon. the only concern is that its gonna be too loud for just playing in my room. i dont want to go too small because if I do play with other people i want to be heard but most of my playing is in my room. i just dont want to have to go out a get a bigger amp if i play gigs. can anyone let me know if this is the right amp or do i need to go smaller.
212s, regardless of if they are tube or solid, are very loud. You might want to consider getting a 112 instead.
This amp is LOUD. I'd say get a 112, its a bit quieter and cheaper too. The 212 is overkill for bedroom, with only a chance for gigging.
grab an attenuator
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
You can always get a 112 combo for your room playing and eventually buy an extension cabinet if you're going to play gigs. 112 combos are usually loud enough to play band practices.
I've got my 5150 combo sitting right next to me and people in the next room don't hear me unless I want them to. Just keep control over your volume and you'll be fine.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I play a valveking 212 in the home. 'sgood
loud, yeah:/
but, the volume control is'nt bad for keeping quiet on it
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
try and find a good volume amp with a headphone jack
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by mogar
I've got my 5150 combo sitting right next to me and people in the next room don't hear me unless I want them to. Just keep control over your volume and you'll be fine.

My thoughts exactly.

Ever heard of the volume knob, guy?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
no **** thats what the volume knob is for but i dont want it to sound like crap because the volume chills at 1
get a good combo, you can still def gig with a good combo and its a hell of alot easier to carrier around then a tubed halfstack!

and by peavy 212? is it the peavy valveking 212 your talking about? because that seems like a good amp for the price!

i would not get a solid state peavy like the blazer or rage... (little amps) they blow...

I have a Randall RG200 and it plays wonderful in my opinion, 200w packs a fine punch for local bars/clubs/and small gigs that i do...

most of my playing is in my room to

i wouldnt go under 100 watts tho... just in my opinon...
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
you dont think the 112 is too small for drums/gigs?

yes i would say it is too small for gigs... unless maby your running an excellant pa system...