hey guys, i recently joined a tech death metal band (similar to necrophagist) that needed a bassist, so im trying it out even though im a guitarist that has recently just switched to bass. the problems im having are:

1. their music is very technical, its hard to keep the groove in key when the guitarists are sweeping all over the place in no particular key

2. my skills are limited in terms of bass, i can tap okay and play at a moderate tempo

can anyone give me any advice or insight on theyre approach to writing bass lines to this kind of music? any exercises or what not would be helpful too
drop tune your bass

practice really hard

don't try out for techno-death bands on an instrument you don't play
have a look at what bassists from similar bands are playing, and rip off their riffs
ohai little sig.
Quote by whatadrag
drop tune your bass

practice really hard

Not always needed. Cynic never drop tuned (IIRC)

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them
Hair. Grow it to your ass

EDIT: And tech death is one of the hardest genres out there. You're probably better off practicing your ass off for a good while yet.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 4, 2008,
If you wanna be a cheap ass about it copy the guitar and when he's sweeping take the odd note and just play that instead of the full sweep.

The best thing to do would be to learn some modes then when the guitar is being written take the key of the song and riff some stuff around the modes and get something that sounds good going.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
just dance around and pretend to play

EDIT: but of course practice makes perfect and with a few hours a day you'l be jamming with them in no time
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
C| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E| --------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2
B| 0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0

TADA

Work on major riffage, maybe?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by whatadrag
drop tune your bass

practice really hard

I think down tuning is more popular in Tech-Death. Tell your guitarists to play in key and you could probably get by chugging the top string and following the guitars occasionally......Tritone and diminished runs might sound interesting.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by AboveTheBridge
C| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E| --------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2---------2
B| 0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0

TADA

Work on major riffage, maybe?

GTFO Really
Throw some slap in there and call it Funky Tech Metal. You might make a new genre.

(But then again, what metal really needs is a new genre...)

Just think 'What would Bootsy do?'
(Someone tell me if I fail miserably, and I'm the only one who thinks that this might be kinda cool.)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Throw some slap in there and call it Funky Tech Metal. You might make a new genre.

Just think 'What would Bootsy do?'
(Someone tell me if I fail miserably, and I'm the only one who thinks that this might be kinda cool.)

Cryptopsy already uses slap
Quote by the humanity

Already exists kind of listen to ephal duath.

On topic, you're gonna need to practice a lot more scales and have good technique. Try doing minor and phyrgian based riffs with some diminished parts thrown in. Tech death is gonna be hard to pull off if you've just switched to bass. Also, remember to play like a bassist, it may look the same but requires a different mindset.
this is why I need to start listening to more metal...

*hits head*
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Drop to F# and be tr00000000
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I met brian Beller recently the bassist who plays with Brendon small as Dethklok, He was out at a bar with the other guys Gene Hoglan the drummer at a bar, And i was able to ask him questions he was delighted that i was a really great guy, and the best advice i got was given to him by Gene the drummer, if the Guitars are shredding all over the place sometimes its best just to play 8ths 16ths or 32nds and give a beat to it. It keeps the over all sound whole, and gives a footing for the shredders to take over.
Quote by the humanity

Are you kidding me? There are enough ridiculous genres out there already. Why do people feel the need to pigeon-hole every band into a category. Plus the names are dumb....

I would rather be in a "metal" band than a "Powerglam Industrial Post-Grindhouse Sludge-core" band, or something.
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde
Are you kidding me? There are enough ridiculous genres out there already. Why do people feel the need to pigeon-hole every band into a category. Plus the names are dumb....

Have you ever heard of Sarcasm... that's what the was for
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Have you ever heard of Sarcasm... that's what the was for

lol ooops
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde
I would rather be in a "metal" band than a "Powerglam Industrial Post-Grindhouse Sludge-core" band, or something.

Really?!?

I think that'd be awesome, better than metal any day
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
thanks for the replies guys. to those who said to practice, yea ive been practicing my ass off. i know my theory so ill try and work with that. as far as tuning goes, they play in drop c. i had to tune my bass to c standard though cause its easier for me to apply scales and all that

another question i have is whats your opinions on using picks or not (at least for metal). i kinda have to for this band since my fingers arent as fast as my pick speed. it gives more attack and i could apply some sweeps.
Quote by drunken ninja
thanks for the replies guys. to those who said to practice, yea ive been practicing my ass off. i know my theory so ill try and work with that. as far as tuning goes, they play in drop c. i had to tune my bass to c standard though cause its easier for me to apply scales and all that

another question i have is whats your opinions on using picks or not (at least for metal). i kinda have to for this band since my fingers arent as fast as my pick speed. it gives more attack and i could apply some sweeps.

hmmm, well im not a dedicated bassist (99% of my effort goes into the guitar) but i imagine the same sorta "rules" apply.

By that i mean its best not to focus too much on one particular technique, and instead try to be a more balanced player. So I would practice both finger and pick styles, rather than make a conscious effort to play with just the one.

My 2 favourite Metal Bassists are Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, and Cliff Burton (RIP) of Metallica circa early 80's. Both have incredible skill and technique, but are very different players.

Harris is sorta the backbone of maiden.....he plays lots of broken chords, and even full powerchords quickly with his fingers to give his playing substance. Cliff is more of a fancy player....almost soloing though the songs, and letting Hetfield and Hammett be the "Backbone" of the records. For this its probably easier to play with a pick (but before loads of Metallica fanboys lynch me, i know Cliff also plays with his fingers on certain songs).

Its up to you but i would specialize in both, to give you the option.
Last edited by Gilmour_Wylde at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

I'm afraid I have to sig this, sound advice dude.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Cliff only played with fingers.

And I would recommend starting of by focusing on the rhythms you play, rather than trying to start shredding. Unless done correctly, it will sound like mud. Set a groove and bring the song together.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde
lol ooops

embarassment- just another side effect of doubting humanity....

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Ok, do you listen to a lot of tech death? or even death metal at all? Im not having a go at you or anything, but if you dont listen to the music then you will have a hard time knowing what to do.

Most tech death players play with fingers, because it does make a lot of the slaps and pops and other weird crap they do a lot easier. Id say listen to heaps of Cannibal Corpse and really study Alex Webster's style (death bass player IMO).

Let us know how you go.
Quote by to_the_grave
Ok, do you listen to a lot of tech death? or even death metal at all? Im not having a go at you or anything, but if you dont listen to the music then you will have a hard time knowing what to do.

Most tech death players play with fingers, because it does make a lot of the slaps and pops and other weird crap they do a lot easier. Id say listen to heaps of Cannibal Corpse and really study Alex Webster's style (death bass player IMO).

Let us know how you go.

i do listen to some tech death metal bands, but yea i should probably hear more since im gonna be playing in that style, im more into prog metal. and yea i know about webster, hes a beast. ive been checking out his videos trying to get some insight. i'll work on getting my finger style better too.

as for the band, so far im doing good. the guys are pretty cool about everything, they said as long as the bass lines fit the song, i could play whatever i want
Quote by watchingmefall
GTFO Really

please don't make posts like this even if the person is incorrectly posting a bad idea to begin with. Thank you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!