How do you get 2 different distorted guitars to go together and NOT sound like hell =P
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
play good and develop your own equipmrent tone, dont play the same amp
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Don't just dime the gain. Adjust the eq on each amp so that one tone compliments the other. Example: Guitarist A has a bright tone and guitarist B has a dark tone. Also, mids are your friend, use them.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
knowing how to play together helps, as does knowing how to EQ. Also make sure you are tuned to each other, and also to the bassist, I've seen a lot of bands that neglect to do this and rely on crappy inaccurate tuners instead.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you could play tiwn when you can't think of anything and harmonize your parts like iron maiden
One play heavy riffs while the other one wanders off to the e string eh.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
do not attempt to have both of you playing the same powerchords at the same time. sounds crap.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
you could always kill off one of the guitars. Make it a first song opening thing you know kill one of the guitarist off in front of everyone. (only problem is having to find a new one each night)
Being able to play in unison, EQing off each other is not as important as you would think, but having a slighlty different tone helps a lot.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
the biggest thing is being in tune with the other guitar player
thats about it
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Just make sure you're both in tune, that's the most important thing.

EQ the lead guitar to have more mids than the backing guitar.

Make the lead guitar have more gain, perhaps. This is personal preference obviously.

Maybe make the lead guitar a touch louder.

It can be cool to play different guitars. Like one with humbuckers and one with single's or p90's.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Hdap101
do not attempt to have both of you playing the same powerchords at the same time. sounds crap.

and what would you do for riffs instead? Just have one guy not play, or play different riffs on top of it? THAT is how to sound like crap.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Agent-Orange
listen to some glenn tipton and kk downing

Or Thin Lizzy!!!

But really, don't have the exact same tone. It isn't big and is not clever!!

Try EQing like everyone is saying and stuff.

And if playing chords, play them say, an octave higher than the other person, or something, so you aren't playing the same thing, and gives a different tone and whatnot.

Unless you are covering songs that don't do that...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Ok, well umm ill try my hand at the many explanations.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE IN THE SAME TUNING!!!

You just need to know how to play relative to other guitars tuning.

Different similiarties in tone are necceassary.

AT LEAST for the solo, but and eq pedal used for a boost or OD should work.

You are going to have to know some theory to play with another and not sound like crap.

And you have to know how to play in general.

so to sum it up

1. Theory/ knowing how to harmonize or play complimentary things

2. ability to play

3. Ability to make music.

umm hope this helps
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by SG Man Forever
and what would you do for riffs instead? Just have one guy not play, or play different riffs on top of it? THAT is how to sound like crap.

and to this.

umm when someone play a chord.. you can i dunno do something crazy like not strumming a chord but playing a lead or scal over it. hell even some apreggios if your extra crazy...

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, my bad
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by Krzy8
and to this.

umm when someone play a chord.. you can i dunno do something crazy like not strumming a chord but playing a lead or scal over it. hell even some apreggios if your extra crazy...

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, my bad

OOOOOOOHH.

So if I'm doing a eight minute song with a second guitarist, just solo for eight minutes and it'll sound great.
hell, even solo over the vocals, that's sure to not get me kicked out of the band for being a wanker.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by SG Man Forever
OOOOOOOHH.

So if I'm doing a eight minute song with a second guitarist, just solo for eight minutes and it'll sound great.
hell, even solo over the vocals, that's sure to not get me kicked out of the band for being a wanker.

im pretty sure its possible to riff without soloing... maybe thats why you would be considered a wanker??
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by Krzy8
im pretty sure its possible to riff without soloing... maybe thats why you would be considered a wanker??

See my previous post. I said that not playing the same riffs as the other guy in th band is just going to sound stupid. If you are playing with another guy, and the song is riff driven (as most of mine are) and the other guy is out doing his own different riffs on top of it, it'll just sound like an unrehearsed mess, unless they are all harmonized or octaves of what I'm doing. While riffs played by two guitarists shouldn't all be the same riffs exactly the same way, it needs to have cohesion. Likewise, constantly playing leads over everything the other guitarist is doing is also going to sound bad. If Kirk Hammett solo'd over all of James Hetfield's riffs, then no one would listen to Metallica. Their ability to play together well is why it sounds good.

TL;DR

Unless prewritten differently, for most parts in a song, the two guitarists should be playing roughly the same thing.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
My amp has more of a vintage, fat sound (20 year old Peavy Bandit can't help it)
And my friend's amp has a much more distorted, tight, bright sound. We're both more into rythm but I'm the better lead guitarist, and it just doesn't sound that great =P
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by SG Man Forever
OOOOOOOHH.

bodom and dragonforce basicly their songs are just big solos, with more epic solos int he middle
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
open chords and arpegios vs barre chords.

use a capo sometimes, play in different keys.

riffs vs chords.

timing and working on not muddying up the tones. using the right pups, or playing clean.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
balancing clean/distortion and TIMING, I cannot emphasive to you how important timing is when playing together, if one of you gets out of whack, it ends up sounding like crap unless he/she is able to find their place again.

I just named 2, but there are many many elements that are involved when playing with others in unison, knowing how to harmonize PROPERLY is another big one.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.