Just picked up a Fender Princeton 65 (price was right, $80 in good condition). The one thing I don't like is that there is no headphone out jack. Being a college student living in a dorm, it's not very polite to use an amp above a whisper. I have decent experience with electronics.

Would it be as simple as using the Pre-out (signal from the pre-amp) and then solder a switch to the speaker to turn it off? I'm mostly concerned with putting the switch there, any chance of doing damage?
The switch is a bad idea, as the the amp will then have no load and destroy the transformer. Using headphones in the preout probably won't work very good either. If you have the money I would suggest getting a miniMASS attenuator from ted weber.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Actually, being a solid state amp, would having no load blow it? But anyway, what he said.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thanks, you guys are very helpful!

For a dummy load, can I just wire a few resistors in series and call it good (16 ohm, 100 watt)? Also, I've read the pre-amp out is the same thing as a line out. I've got a Telex 150 ANR headset (I'm a pilot) that I've been plugging into the "phones" jack on my old POS Behringer amp, and nothing bad has happened. Should I be wary of plugging my $350 headset into the pre-amp of the fender amp?

Another question: the amp did not come with a foot switch, would this be difficult to make? Is it just simply a binary input to switch the channels (disconnect the leads and it goes clean, connect/short them and it goes to lead)?

I built my guitar but I have virtually no experience with amps, which is probably somewhat obvious.

EDIT: Saltysnail, I'd rather not spend more $$ right now, I've got more important things than guitars. Just trying to do a DIY job (I prefer it that way regardless)
Last edited by wgpguy at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by wgpguy
Thanks, you guys are very helpful!

For a dummy load, can I just wire a few resistors in series and call it good (16 ohm, 100 watt)? Also, I've read the pre-amp out is the same thing as a line out. I've got a Telex 150 ANR headset (I'm a pilot) that I've been plugging into the "phones" jack on my old POS Behringer amp, and nothing bad has happened. Should I be wary of plugging my $350 headset into the pre-amp of the fender amp?

Another question: the amp did not come with a foot switch, would this be difficult to make? Is it just simply a binary input to switch the channels (disconnect the leads and it goes clean, connect/short them and it goes to lead)?

I built my guitar but I have virtually no experience with amps, which is probably somewhat obvious.

<3 this guy.

I can speak electronics with him

The preamp question, I would immediately jump to the conclusion that it was safe, however, it's not my stuff, so I'm a little wary...

No, they're not hard to make, afaik, it's just a simple case of in one state, floating, in the other, grounded. Nothing you can't do with a SPDT or DPDT if you wanted an LED.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX