Hey all, i've got this Mexican Fender Strat rescently but after a few months I joined a metal band so my tone sounds flimsey amist all the hard pounding drums n bass. Ive tried loads of different pedals to no real avail, so im thinking of changing the bridge or neck pickup to a seriously high output one. Does anyone have any better suggestions or any good pickups that give a warm, brittle and solid tone?
its about the amp man not the pups... also try tuning to like a drop c or drop 1 step or 1 and a half
or forget the strat
and get a nice guitar made for metal maybe

try ESP-LTD, Ibanez or anythin like that
they should help out a lot too
Quote by Heat-13
its about the amp man not the pups... also try tuning to like a drop c or drop 1 step or 1 and a half

Eh....metal on a single coil? It's doable, but a humbucker would be much better, yes? We're not talking about a swap in brands, but in styles entirely.
Quote by Carrot
or forget the strat
and get a nice guitar made for metal maybe

try ESP-LTD, Ibanez or anythin like that
they should help out a lot too

Probably your best bet.

But also, what amp are you using?
I stuck a motherbucker (i think thats the name) into the bridge position on my strat purchased from the Mighty Mite guitar store, made my sound a whole lot better, i hardly use the other two pick ups any more, warm rich cleans and screaming leads!!
oh yeah also how are you goin to put in a hum in place of a single coil? they're like twice as big, so unless you're amazing at the router i would jus get a new guitar
If you don't plan on upgrading your guitar or amp, a high output bridge humbucker (like an active EMG 81) will do you a whole lotta good.
Try a DiMarzio superdistortion (get the singlecoil space) or a Seymour Duncan Hot rails. Both are made for heavier music and because they're humbucking you'll a) make your guitar more versatile and b) lose the hum when on this pickup position.
Get a stacked pickup, same size as single coil, sounds like a humbucker
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
a duncan hotrail in the bridge, a fast track in the neck, push pots ,for a pedal go with the metal or micro metal muff and sorry what amp are u using?
Stacked humbuckers are the way to go. You can get some ballsy tones out of those.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by Heat-13
oh yeah also how are you goin to put in a hum in place of a single coil? they're like twice as big, so unless you're amazing at the router i would jus get a new guitar

You could do all the cutting out stuff or get a stacked humbucker, I know Malmsteen does it!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Heat-13

Someone said in another thread that most Strats are routed for humbuckers already. Then you would just need a new pickguard.
Stacked humbuckers are really useful if you don't want to mod your guitar too much.

I'm a fan of playing metal with single coils, but I'm a minority! I'm also a fan of playing metal with mids, but I believe in finding your own sound. What amp are you playing through and what's your EQ?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by devit
or u could just buy another pickourd routed for hss

Your guitar has to be routed too, more importantly.
i'm pretty sure you just need a new pickguard and a humbucker, no?
i opened up a strat a while ago to find that it was already routed.
What kind of amp are you using?

It doesn't matter if you have a Dean with EMG's installed, if you're playing through a non-high gain amp, you're not going to hit metal territory. If you have a "metal" amp(i.e. something high gain) you can probably get a metal sound with your Strat. For metal, the amp is at least 5x more important than the guitar(unless your playing a really, really crap guitar)
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.