I am with a jam band and when we play we will usually be in G maj or minor. I'll be playing a line. When I get to solo, I just move up an octave on the fretboard. I sometimes have hard times transitioning. I know my modes, but is there a way to practice transitions? Is there a way to increase mobility on the fretboard, because I'll be playing a line and It feels like I'm being too stagnant even though I'll play fills.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
When you say transitions, do you mean from chord to chord or from providing a bass line to the part where you solo? I'm a little confused.
Not from chord to chord but from playing a bass line to soloing. Should I just try to move my hands up there as fast as possible, in rhythm or should I try to play something moving up the neck? I have been experimenting with stuff moving up the neck, but I hit dead notes.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
I'm on that learning curve as well--one thing that did help me was to start to nail down my modes / scales in two octaves so that I could do either chromatic run ups or down or clean sounding transitional notes based on the lead in chords structure to a solo area.

I have starting to do this in jazz and yes, its not easy and takes a bit of practice to make them smooth sounding. Knowing your theory instinctively helps tonnes, and I'll admit, I'm not even there yet.