what should i do guys?
i bought a 1980 lead II from a local music shop it has a crappy humbucker and original single coil

i'm into classic rock/ metal/ rock

i want to do three pickups i'm just not sure what the best configuration would be

i also want to install a tremolo but the back has a very pretty picture so my only option would be a bigsby b7 or something but that may look weird

i was originally just going to put a fender noiseless and a les paul vintage but they are kind of expensive

i'm thinking

1 metal humbucker
1 classic rock humbucker
1 clean single coil

if that makes any sense

i'm kind of new to the whole custimization pickup wise

do you think i should stick with fender/gibson pickups or explore dimarzio/ seymore duncan?

back

also any guide to wiring? i'm very skilled with soldering so that shouldn't be a problem

thanksi
Wow that thing is really SICK.

I would do HSS
hum, a hot-railed single, and a clean single.

That gives you so much versatility and keeps things clean looking, and HHS or HSH can look a little crowded.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
HSS.

gives you the awesome sound of a bridge humbucker with the awesome sound of a neck single.

I'd go with the single in the middle just because HHS or just HS doesn't look great to me.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
HSS for sure, some will say HSH but for versatility i'd definately go with HSS. A neck singlecoil is the **** for soloing in any genre, gives you much more dynamics and character than a humbucker would.

- edit - and in position 2 with both singlecoils you get that jangly dire straits sound, awesome for funk aswell!

- edit 2 - and yeah, explore. Fender and Gibson don't have that much to offer, SD and DiMarzio make great pickups and have really good descriptions and soundfiles on their pages.
Last edited by Aziraphale at Jun 4, 2008,
whats the pup routing look like under the pick guard?
i went for the "OH, AH, EH" sound combo from my pickups. sh-59n, alnico II, x2n.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
i really want the lead humbucker effect for classic rock

what pickups should i put in it I don't want to spend a fortune
HHS is always good. The middle humbucker made out to be a neck humbucker really, gets you nice smoothness with that bridge-edge. the neck single coil is a nice touch, nothing better than a neck SC in my opinion. i did HHS on my tele.
HSH i like. I wanna end up making a HSP90 config though, i think it's sound sweet. Either that or 90S90.

basically, whatever you like, as long as it's decent pups, it'll sound just fine
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...