Ok, so for Christmas I got a PRS SE Custom w/ tremolo, and I like it. However, the pickups seem a little muddy on the clean channel on my Fender 15G( Easily Fixed when I turn the volume down on the guitar and then up on the amp, but that becomes difficult when changing channels), but knowing that this is a ****ty amp, could this be the source of the muddy-ness? Or do I need to replace my pickups?
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Last edited by DDoug at Jun 4, 2008,
tube amp. enough said.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

A change in pickups will make very little difference with the amp you have. since 90% of tone comes from the amp, if you want a better clean tone or tone in general then I'd bite the bullet and save up for a new amp.
i doubt the pickups on a PRS are faulty.. get a new amp
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by umbrellacorp
tube amp. enough said.

+1

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

A PRS through a Frontman is like winning the lottery and buying a Pinto with no wheels.

Translation: You need a new amp.
Yes, I am planning to get a new amp. I'm thinking of getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and getting a Metal Muff to go with it. That is my next purchase, but I just need to raise the money first.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Your guitar is fine, the problem will be coming from your amp.

Although once you've upgraded the amp, the pickups would be the next logical thing to improve
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by DDoug
Ok, so for Christmas I got a PRS SE Custom w/ tremolo for Christmas,

lol
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
lol

Just pretend you didn't see that.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Oh, since we are on the subject, I do have a problem with staying in tune. I think this might have to do with the Tremolo. Will installing stronger springs for it help with this?
-Bugera 333XL 212
read the sticky before you buy stuff man

thou shalt not play a nice guitar through a crap amp

hot rods are nice amps, im savin up for one right now
Quote by DDoug
Oh, since we are on the subject, I do have a problem with staying in tune. I think this might have to do with the Tremolo. Will installing stronger springs for it help with this?

Nah, that'll increase the tension on the vibrato bar. To help stay in tune, try lubricating the nut with a bit of pencil lead. Or really bite the bullet and invest in some locking tuners, like Sperzels.
If you are having tuning issues obviouly your tuners need replaced, but as you are aware TS, your amp isn't cutting the mustard with your excellent guitar.

Depending on what you play and your budget thereare plenty of amps on offer. What's your styles, budget and practical issues?
Quote by aedmiston
read the sticky before you buy stuff man

thou shalt not play a nice guitar through a crap amp

hot rods are nice amps, im savin up for one right now
Well I didn't buy it to go with my guitar, that is just what is left over from my strat pack. I just recently upgraded the guitar and am ready to upgrade to a HRD.

In response to getting new tuners: How much will a good set of locking tuners cost?

And no, for some reason the tremolo bar didn't come with the guitar so I don't use it.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Nope, get a locking nut. ALL trems without non-locking nuts go out of tune sooner or later.

Don't. As your guitar doesn't have a locking bridge then its pointless. When you tighten the locking nut it knows the tuning slightly out. Without the fine tuners that locking bridges have then it'll be near impossible to be properly in tune.

A set of Sperzels will cost about £80, but they're worth it.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Nope, get a locking nut. ALL trems without non-locking nuts go out of tune sooner or later.

No. Just no.

As suggested, get a new amp to relieve muddyness and general **** tone.

And for tuning problems, stringing technique and perhaps new tuners or sorts.
Quote by Midnight Murk
Then you shouldn't have tuning issues if you string the guitar correctly. Follow these videos:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeFA_qlR0I
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVAhI8PqPU

Also rub graphite (pencil lead) in the nut slots. Be sure you tune up to a note and not down (if you are sharp, make it flat then raise it up to pitch). Also be sure to stretch your strings properly.

If your problems still occur, then invest in a set of locking tuners. Sperzels should be about $75.
I watched both videos carefully and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Oh, and I think it's funny when he refers to a step as a 'tone'.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Midnight Murk
That's the British word for it. It makes perfect sense to me, and I actually use it (and I'm American).

Eliminate as many string wraps around the posts as possible. The less, the better.
Thanks a lot. If it turns out that I did string it wrong, I can just try again when I get new tuners. Oh, and will I have to get a new set, since there wont be the slack? Because I JUST bought new strings.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Midnight Murk
You should be able to put your current strings on. I'm going to be using Sperzels on a Strat that I'm building.
Thanks a ton. You probably saved me money that I would have wasted on new springs.
-Bugera 333XL 212