Page 1 of 2
i think that i might find a tube combo with good cleans (good for distortion pedals) along with a good heavy distortion box (mxr dime distortion, possibly?) and i need to know wat would be good to get. so tell me a good low-wattage tube amp w/ good cleans + a heavy distortion pedal. stay metal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
My friend has an Epiphone Valve standard and a EHX Metal Muff. Costed him around 450 bucks altogether. His tone is pretty rad.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
*facepalm*

If you want a good metal sound, don't get it from pedals going into an amp. It comes from the amp, in the voicing.

Dependant on your budget and location, I would recommend a used Peavey 5150 combo.

60w tube, and as heavy as my bladder after a good night out.

Still want the little amp, gogo report back with more info like budget, location etc!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I have an Epiphone Valve Junior 5 Watt Amp. I like it but I get tired of the clean, it's boring sometimes. But it is a great amp for the price, I'm not exactly sure of the price, but it came with my $200 SG-310 so I can't image it costing more than what it came with for free. It's amazingly loud for only 5 watts, just a minute ago I turned it up full blast and it shook my whole house, I hope my neighbors didn't call the cops. Also when turned up there is the most perfect natural overdrive distortion sound that is just plain awesome. I don't know a good distorton box, but as just thinking of buying a cheap Danelectro switch so that I don't have to cause an earthquak to get good distortion.
In my opinion if your going to run a distortion pedal there really is no need for a tube amp, your kind of defeating the purpose. SS amps have great cleans anyways, go ahead and get your self a peavey, crate, or something similar and run that pedal.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by JaredFace
In my opinion if your going to run a distortion pedal there really is no need for a tube amp, your kind of defeating the purpose. SS amps have great cleans anyways, go ahead and get your self a peavey, crate, or something similar and run that pedal.

Are you fucking retarded?

This, everyone, is not the way to give advice.

Read his post, think about it, he's looking for a heavy distortion, this implies a thick, bass & mid heavy punchy tone. Which you cannot achieve with an SS amp and a stompbox.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yea, jaredface is kinda wrong. playing a distortion pedal into the ****ty ss 10w i have would sound super thin and buzzy. thx for trying though
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
and ive already looked at good high-gain tube combos, and i might just get one of those, but i wanna look at this option too
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
i dont really know my budget, i just need to know wat to save up for. im probably gonna buy it used once i have the $. and im in Maryland if anyone needs to know
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
well, i'm at the point of trolling 'cause i'm 5 hours behind your last triple post but to get the conversation going again i'll recommend the Peavey Valveking. It's $400 and takes pedals pretty well. Granted, I have a multi-effect pedal but the distortion on the dirty channel kicks in at around 4 and i never use the pedal there. on the clean channel tho, with a fair amount of tweaking i can get cleans and decent pedal thru.

amp could use a speaker and tube swap but so far i'm good with this amp for the price.

there are other options out there so keep listening. what style music do you want to play? where do live? and you must have some kind of budget?

EDIT: I just realized you said low watt. the VK is not low watt but just above bedroom at vol 4 gain 4 as i mentioned. It also has A to A/B knob and the second input jack is lower vol for some reason but not sure why to be honest. Otherwise you may want to look at the Blackhearts or even Fenders.

;
alrite bro, what you want is a tube amp that has good cleans and at the same time will overdrive to some classic rock on it's own. i would recommend a primarily clean amp like a fender but then it's either play really clean, or play heavily distorted w/ ur pedal. the only 'in betweens' would be when you go down and adjust all the EQ knobs on the pedal...and that's annoying to do over and over.

so here's what i propose:

get Blackheart little giant combo/mini stack. swap the preamp tube w/ a 12AT7-these increase headroom and so it'll stay cleaner longer, giving you cleans at higher volumes. now cranking it should still give you some dirt so that'll be good for dirty blues or light classic rock. after that, get the (is it visual sounds jekly and hyde?) pedal that is both distortion AND overdrive. i hear it's fantastic and will be perfect for you b/c:

1) when you just want a good hard rock sound you just set the amp's volume so you get some dirt, then use the OD to push it to hard rock.

2) when you want full out metal, you just turn on the pedal on the distortion mode, which is supposed to be pretty hi gain.

3) when the pedal is off you amp should be pretty clean. and the blackheart little giant has really nice and warm cleans i love em'.

any further tone shaping an be added later w/ an EQ and such if you like but what i suggested should make you pretty happy for a while.

that's what I'D suggest
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Blackheart + Good Dist pedal. And by good pedal, I don't mean some boss or digitech crap. Check out AMT's stuff.

And there's nothing wrong with putting a dist box in front of a tube amp. People used to do it all the time in the '80s-'90s. Thats how a lot of death metal bands got their tones. Usually a jcm800 with either a proco rat or a japanese boss ds-1 in front.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
thx for the replies. is the mxr dime distortion any good through a tube amp btw?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
well i don't like the dime distortion at all, what do you need?

if you're looking for metal, check out the EH Metal Muffs, my favorite is the nano muff, it seems to be the cleanest (as in clearest) sounding of the 3 (and it's the cheapest too)
Don't get a distortion pedal, get a boost/OD to boost the gain on a tube amp.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
i dont wanna get a boost pedal cuz then i wont be able to do instant switches from clean to heavy.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
+1 on the Metal Muff. Versatile pedal
Orange Tiny Terror
And with a boost pedal, you can switch from clean to heavy. The boosted signal drives the tubes harder and produces more distortion.

I have an Ibanez, and im able to roll off the volume to about 6 or 7 and play through my single coils for clean, and then roll the volume back up to 10 and switch to my humbuckers. This increased signal coming from the higher output pickups and the increased volume is enough to drive the tubes harder and go from clean to overdriven quite easily.
For more distortion look at the Proco Rat. Amazing pedal.

Tube amps are much more responsive to pedals that Solid State, because if you dial the amp in right, a clean boost can push the amp into overdriven territory and an overdrive pedal can push them even further.
Ive got a Boss DS-2 (which I want to sell to buy the Rat) and I use it as an overdrive pedal, however I leave the drive knob on 0% and mess with the volume. The increased volume is enough to push the amp into saturation and begin distorting.
I'll 3rd or 4th (I lost count) to the Metal Muff, though I'd get the full sized version w/ top boost. I love mine.
I would recommend something similar to my Peavey Classic 30 through a Boss MT-2 or a EHX Metal Muff. The Classic 30 has a fantastic clean tone, and I think the amp is very versatile as well because it handles all of the distortion I throw on it. Plus, the overdrive channel on the amp is great for classic distorted rock and even some metal/hard rock with lighter distortion.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
my setup: vox ac15, blackstar ht-dst

satch has great tone and he uses distortion pedals into clean amps most of the time. or at least from what i understand... so dont go bashing that kind of setup just because the fab overdrive is 3p1c sux0rz
Quote by mcw00t
Are you fucking retarded?

This, everyone, is not the way to give advice.

Read his post, think about it, he's looking for a heavy distortion, this implies a thick, bass & mid heavy punchy tone. Which you cannot achieve with an SS amp and a stompbox.

Yea tough guy on the computer, why in the sam hell are you going to buy a 1200 dollar tube amp just to put a disotrion pedal thru it........You will get the same results as if you were going to buy a 120 watt crate. Allot of you kids need to know the basics before you want to start calling people names, Go research how a tube amp works, get an idea of the engineering behind it.
Now if the thread starter said he wanted to but an OVERDRIVE pedal in front of it then that makes sense that would work with the amp to boost its signal thus pushing tubes harder. But using a DISTORTION pedal will take away 90% of the tone that a tube amps puts out....

btw hard ass once you actually get some real equipment then come talk to me...
Last edited by JaredFace at Jun 9, 2008,
JaredFace, whether or not you made a valid point, gear does NOT make a player. Remember that there is always someone out there with a crappy guitar and budget amp that can play circles around you.

really, using gear as a way to tower over someone is not a good idea b/c like i said, it doesn't mean you're a great player or any better.

on topic, all i have to say is use OD for everything heavily overdriven as you can, but if you need chugga chugga death metal sound, use a GOOD distortion. that's all i can say.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I get good rock/metal tones with a Fender Amp and an EHX Metal Muff.

I've tried it on several Fender amps and it never ceases to sound good. Cut all the EQ knobs to zero and use the Metal Muff's.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
^ no offense but that sounds like a terrible way to EQ...lol. to each their own!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
JaredFace, whether or not you made a valid point, gear does NOT make a player. Remember that there is always someone out there with a crappy guitar and budget amp that can play circles around you.

really, using gear as a way to tower over someone is not a good idea b/c like i said, it doesn't mean you're a great player or any better.

on topic, all i have to say is use OD for everything heavily overdriven as you can, but if you need chugga chugga death metal sound, use a GOOD distortion. that's all i can say.

the point i was making is once he actually been playing for some time and actually develop a taste for tone then he can start talking ****. and i heard the dudes clips, pretty bad.
well i'm not going to get into the middle of yall's argument but i stand behind what i said. i don't know how you can know what his taste for tone is like unless you actually heard a clip or somethin....

i've only played for 4 years and counting and i think that i'm rather decent for the time given. but i would certainly not like someone telling me that i don't deserve to talk to them just b/c they have more years on them. alrite well i'm not ur father and you don't need my lecturing, but that's just my opinion when it comes to 'challenging' people.....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
are you talking about my clips? they werent very good, first of all i wasnt very good at doing those squeels, and second, i was using a ibz10 amp from the headphone jack right into the computer cuz i dont have a mic or anything. maybe ill redo it. w/e, jaredface doesnt understand the point, i've played several distortion pedals through my amp, and let me tell u this, none of them sounded good. i want a combo tube amp with warm cleans, and playing a $100 distortion pedal through the clean amp should give me the crunchy chugga-chugga tone i need. am i wrong?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
well i dont need super-high gain, master of puppets amount of gain is wat im lookin for. thx for the posts ppl
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by JaredFace
Yea tough guy on the computer, why in the sam hell are you going to buy a 1200 dollar tube amp just to put a disotrion pedal thru it........You will get the same results as if you were going to buy a 120 watt crate. Allot of you kids need to know the basics before you want to start calling people names, Go research how a tube amp works, get an idea of the engineering behind it.
Now if the thread starter said he wanted to but an OVERDRIVE pedal in front of it then that makes sense that would work with the amp to boost its signal thus pushing tubes harder. But using a DISTORTION pedal will take away 90% of the tone that a tube amps puts out....

Oh. My. God.

PMed.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^if you do ur research and find a really good pedal then i see no reason why it wouldn't! it won't be as nice as having an uber expensive major brand amp like the Mark IV that dishes all that out in one, but it shouldn't sound like dog poo either. oh yea, and it also depends on ur EQing of course! i'd say get one of those Mesa V-twin stompboxes (tube preamp) but they're a lil pricey. find something that has a good midrange and not too harsh on treble, and not too muddy w/ bass.

i'm not the best one to ask when it comes to suggesting a nice distortion pedal, i prefer amp distortion!! lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yea i prefer amp distortion, and ive been looking at nice high-gain amps, and thats probably what im gonna end up buying, but i wanna see if buying a good clean amp + a dist. pedal can be cheaper and better sounding.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
i was thinking about amps like those randalls, the b-52 amps, the valvekings, the 5150's and all that stuff. but i wanna look at all options before getting anything
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by JaredFace

Just so you know, some professional bands use distortion into tube amps, and get a great sound.

The Black Keys, The White Stripes and The Sword are a few examples.
my brother has a fulltone fulldrive that he uses into his tube amps, and he gets a great thick heavy tone. i dunno how he gets that much gain out of it though, i think he has a boost pedal as well in his pedal board. myspace.com/oddzar if anyone wants to hear.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by mcw00t
*facepalm*

If you want a good metal sound, don't get it from pedals going into an amp. It comes from the amp, in the voicing.

Dependant on your budget and location, I would recommend a used Peavey 5150 combo.

60w tube, and as heavy as my bladder after a good night out.

Still want the little amp, gogo report back with more info like budget, location etc!

Listen to him. Don't go for the good clean and pedals dude. I made the same mistake. I got a Fender 65 reissue Twin, and bought a Boss Turbo Distortion, and thought i was set. NOT! I could never find what I was looking for because it wasn't there. I just bought a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, and sold my Twin to get an Ibanez S5470 Prestige. Go with a channel amp that has good distortion. Bugera makes good cheap ones. My friend just bought one, and it sounds fantastic with his Les Paul.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
ah, thanks for your opinion. how much are we talkin here for a bugera combo? nvm i might as well just check ebay. i wish i could afford a mark IV. i might try looking for a used F30 they arent too expensive used.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
i play a modded ds-1 into my valveking and it sounds great running it along with a tubescreamer and i think it sounds better than my amps distortion. especially for metal. its a lot less muddy and more clear sounding and the mids and bass sound much better.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I'm no expert on the subject but I'm at a similar cross road in deciding which way to go with distortion. I currently have a Epiphone VJ, and I'm wondering whether to go with a lower gain preamp tube with distortion pedal or to go with the standard 12ax7 and use overdrive, perhaps with a boost??

my school of thought is that its mainly the poweramp stage of tube amps that gives the good tube sound. The tube preamp in the tube amp I think is less important, so thats why it might make sense to use a distortion pedal for distortion instead of the amps preamp.

The only thing I'm not yet sure about is whether using a lower gain preamp tube will in effect reduce some of the desirable poweramp distortion.
Last edited by Mattlikesguitar at Sep 20, 2008,
"using a pedal takes away 90% of your tone."
i dont even know what that means. i didnt realize tone was a tangible thing.

anyway, all of you guys arguing should probably stop, you will probably all get warnings.

and back on topic, it would be best to buy an amp with good distortion if thats what you want.
but, depending on your budget, then getting a good clean tube amp and running a high end disto pedal will sound good. just be sure to get a nice high end pedal.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Page 1 of 2