So i've been look for a new amp to replace my Marshall MG and i really like the sound of the Peavey Valveking 212. I play hardrock, metalcore, alternative and a lot of clean classical and jazzy stuff and it looks pretty versatile. But the only set back is that its $600 at guitar center. For me, that is a lot of money since i can only afford a $400-500 amp, through selling some stuff.

So i ask you: is there any way i can go into Guitar Center and bargain the salesman to lower the price. Or is the price set-in-stone? Cause even lowering it $50 is good enough for me.

If it is allowed in guitar center, any tips on how to do it?

Thanks and i hope this is in the right place
it used to be

i hear theyve gone to fixed pricing

you americans arent exactly getting screwed over anyway, look at UK prices, or worse, australian. they get it baaaad for gear
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
They'll still price match, but haggling is a thing of the past from all of my sources. They basically did what McDonalds did with Chipotle...spread the company huge then divested the stock/ownership while the value was high. So with the new ownership comes new directives.

I have a feeling that GC's might be joining MARS in the big music store in the sky soon. Because local places used to get screwed by the GC haggle, now local places have a huuuuuuuuge bargaining chip to bring in steady business. All you gotta do is go in to a GC, get a quote, take it to a local shop and see if they'll beat it for you. I betcha they'll cut some sort of deal now.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I know I'm a noob, but can some1 send me a message on how to set an icon for the forums.
Or he could buy the 112? iirc, it's about $50 cheaper...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
G-Center is a trip. I went in for the Memorial Day sale hoping to get a BR600. I got offered a price of 299 at the G-Center in Lake Forest, CA and when I decided to buy at my "more local" Fountain Valley, CA store - they demanded $350. I explained that the other G-Center offered it at 299 - and the zit-popper said that GC doesnt compete with itself??? Luckily a manager was nearby, heard what was going on and allowed the deal to go through. Geeeezzzuss!

Oh, I did haggle a used Big Muff down 20 bucks about a month ago - but don't know if that applies to anything new?

Anyway, you might as well try!
Quote by mcw00t
Or he could buy the 112? iirc, it's about $50 cheaper...

it somewhere around $200 cheaper. but i want to get the best i can since amps are a big part of your tone. is there any difference between the 212 and the 112 other than size? tone, sound anything?
not that im aware of.
the 212 just is a lot harder to carry around.
so just go for the 112.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
ok i found this thing on another forum after i googled the differences in the 112 and the 212 (WARNING -- WALL OF TEXT)
The VK212 is bigger than the VK112, has an extra speaker, so it pushes more air and the larger cab may make it sound "bigger" or "bassier" but this difference is really subjective and altogether quite negligible. You can dial out the same tones on a VK112 as on a VK212, I have no problem getting JamieOldfield's tone or the ones shown in that official Peavey Valveking demonstration video.

I think the only reason to get a VK212 over a VK112 is if you really need the extra power... That's it. The only way to tell if you need more power is if you've been at a gig and turned your amp all the way up and it still wasn't loud enough, or sounded too harsh. I'm telling you that this will NOT happen when you have a VK112... I can't think of a situation where I would need the VK212's extra power. The other day, for example, I was at my (metal) band's rehearsal and the drummer was telling me that I was starting to overpower him when my VK112's volume was just under 5. The other guitarist was playing on a half-stack and the VK112 had no problems keeping up with it. The only issue worth noting is that since the VK112 is much smaller than a half-stack it doesn't project sound as widely. This is where the VK212 might have an advantage over the VK112, but again, I think this difference should be negligible, because the VK212 is not as tall as a half stack (height is more important than width when it comes to sound projection). Finally, you can always output the VK112 or 212 into a half stack, and at gigs the amps will be miced out to the PA anyway.

What you should also understand is that the VK212 is more inconvenient than the VK112 in many ways. If you want to replace speakers, you have to replace two instead of one (costs 2x the price). It's the same story with the tubes, where you would need to replace four 6L6GC tubes in the case of the VK212, whereas the VK112 you would only need to replace two. There are three 12AX7 power tubes in both amps but those get replaced much less often than the pre-amp tubes... Now, why should you care about replacing parts of the Valveking anyway? Because the VK is a great modder's amp . In building this amp, Peavey cut costs by omitting things that don't matter (LED's, shiny/metal dials, effects) and by installing cheap tubes and speakers that can easily be replaced with higher quality ones. Yep... Peavey's main concern was quality tube tone for a good price, as it were On top of it all, you don't even need to rebias tubes when you replace them! Super convenient, if you ask me It's almost a crime to get this amp and to complain about the tone without trying to mod it first.

Now for a comparison of the VK212 and VK112 in practice... They're both tube amps, and we know that tube amps sound better the louder they get due to loudness = saturation of tubes. Now, since the VK212 has more preamp tubes than the VK112, it will break up to get that nice, rich tube distortion only at louder volumes than the VK112. This could be a problem if you intend on using the amp as a bedroom practice amp. For example, I'm a college student and when I'm practicing in my dorm with the volume only at 1 my "ceiling neighbor" starts stamping his floor as a way of telling me to turn it the **** down so I have to turn it down to like 0.75. This means that if I had a VK212, I think I'd have to turn it down even more which wouldn't make me exactly thrilled about the tone, since tube amps are like the prima donnas of guitar amplifiers - they sound best when they're loud and proud.

Another note: the VK212 is bigger and heavier than the VK112, and the VK112 is already ****ing heavy as it is, so keep that in mind if you rely on being able to carry your amp around.

Hence, in conclusion, yes, get a Valveking. VK112 or 212? If you have the dough for a VK212 as well as for the additional cost of potentially replacing more parts, if you live by yourself where you can crank the amp even at bedroom practice, and if you have a car or the muscle for transporting it around, then get a VK212. Otherwise, get a VK112.

i found the review really helpful, so i'm going to go for the 112 instead of the 212 because its mostly a practice amp and a band rehearsal amp, so i dont really need the extra power.
As far as haggling goes, ask for tax included in the price. That and a gigbag and cable are all that my gc would do for $900 worth of gear (PRS SE and fender superchamp xd).

And I agree with 112. Liked it better than 212 at reasonable residential levels
In March some guy dropped the price on a les paul from 900 to 775. I think its about talking to the right guys
Guitar Center was sold a few months ago to a group of investors that were looking to make more money. They saw that they were losing millions of dollars because sales reps were letting stuff go at like up to $100+ off its normal price after they'd met their cap for the day. You'll start to see haggling will be harder in the coming months, and they're supposed to stop it entirely by September.

What I do, whenever I do unfortunately have to make a purchase there, is I call ahead of time and make sure my favorite sales rep is in. If not, I ask when he will be there. I go in the next day he works later in the night, about an hour before closing and because he's already met his cap, I can get stuff lower than they'd usually let it go.

They take you a lot more seriously if they know you have cash and are ready to buy on the spot. Like, say something costs $800 around that time, and you have $700 in cash with you. If you say something like, "Whats the lowest you could go on this?" or "Would you be able to do $700?", you might get lucky.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by damnedone
G-Center is a trip. I went in for the Memorial Day sale hoping to get a BR600. I got offered a price of 299 at the G-Center in Lake Forest, CA and when I decided to buy at my "more local" Fountain Valley, CA store - they demanded $350. I explained that the other G-Center offered it at 299 - and the zit-popper said that GC doesnt compete with itself??? Luckily a manager was nearby, heard what was going on and allowed the deal to go through. Geeeezzzuss!

Oh, I did haggle a used Big Muff down 20 bucks about a month ago - but don't know if that applies to anything new?

Anyway, you might as well try!

Funny, I go to the same ones (actually trying to get a job at the one in Fountain Valley) I bought my amp, and 2 pedals there. Knocked about 80 bucks off the sticker price.
Quote by xfallchildx
of course you can haggle at guitar center i do it all the time! got 100$ off my gryphon and 50$ off my acoustic when i bought them

What we're trying to say is that this culture is going to go away and go away fast with the new owners. Of course some locations/sales reps are gonna still try and grease the system to try and keep regular customers, but once the parent company really cracks down, price matching and maybe some gig bags or cables thrown is the best you're gonna get. Getting a break on the main gear (instruments, amps, effects, pro audio, etc) is gonna be few and far between.

But I'm ready to start going to the local places and play the reverse game. I used to use the local places to haggle at GC, now I'll just use GC to haggle the locals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Right on neighbor ...it can be done, just got to talk to the right person! Also, I have better luck when things are slow...YMMV.

Oh, and good luck with the job...seems like a good work enviroment (except those sale days...LOL) everyone was running around like crazy!

Quote by imgooley
Funny, I go to the same ones (actually trying to get a job at the one in Fountain Valley) I bought my amp, and 2 pedals there. Knocked about 80 bucks off the sticker price.