Tango. Tango owns. Astor Piazzolla owns. I don't know **** about tangos though. I want to know more about tango music so if anybody can shed some light on specific forms, rhythmic motives, progressions, scales or anything else related to the composition of tango music it would help me out a lot! I know Astor Piazzolla messed with the tango forms and changed them a lot so maybe I want to learn the basic forms before I try to understand anything Piazzolla did. Well, thats about it! Peace
Yes, Piazolla is good. I have his Zero Hour record. I have no idea about the theory behind his stuff or Tango in general, but I may put that on my list of things to learn and I'll get back to this thread if I do.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
Well if I'm not mistaken, Tango is based out of a Spanish/Gypsy culture so, it's going to have some of the same qualities as flamenco/classical/marengue etc. type of things. I would listen to the music. Get a feel for the different time signatures, see what intervals they are playing (probably minor) and just goof around with it. Keep looking for lessons too, I'm sure they are there somewhere.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Definately check Carlos Gardel, at least some of the less vocal music....
The River Plate is where tango is more popular, specially Argentina...
I mean, it is mostly based on dance, but the music applies too..
Otherwise, there are some classical composers (like Tarrega for instance) that have written tango pieces...
Last edited by gonzaw at Jun 5, 2008,
wich tango? there's italian tango, spanish tango, flamenco tango, brazilian tango, argentinian tango(I'm guessing you mean this one since it's the most well know).
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 5, 2008,
Any of them I suppose. They must all be variations on similar things since they are all called tango, right? I am most interested in the "tango nouveau" style of composers like Piazzolla and Maximo Pujol.
I'm not too big on any of them though, people just generally tend to think tango is spanish and end of story.

But a lot of coutries have there own tango and that makes for a lot of different interpretations, I suggest you start looking for the argentinian tango since that is also the ballroom dance tango and thus considered "the" tango.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I think this i called Samba rhythm or something, but it's really common in Spanish sounding things.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
Q. E Q Q

Edit: that didn't really display properly but i bet you get the gist.
Dotted quarter on 1, eighth note on and of 2, quarters on 3 and 4.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
I'm not too big on any of them though, people just generally tend to think tango is spanish and end of story.

But a lot of coutries have there own tango and that makes for a lot of different interpretations, I suggest you start looking for the argentinian tango since that is also the ballroom dance tango and thus considered "the" tango.

Well, tango originated in Argentina and Uruguay, I don't know why people think tango is spanish? Sure it originated from European styles, and local ones (milonga I think, etc), but it started here...

I have to check more about Astor, I heard some stuff he made before dying and it was great....
Quote by gonzaw
Well, tango originated in Argentina and Uruguay, I don't know why people think tango is spanish? Sure it originated from European styles, and local ones (milonga I think, etc), but it started here...

I have to check more about Astor, I heard some stuff he made before dying and it was great....

Don't get me started about "spanish" music and all it's misconceptions people have about it.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
Don't get me started about "spanish" music and all it's misconceptions people have about it.

What is it to disscus?
I mean, Spanish music is all about flamenco (Asturias), arab music, and tango!

(lol, I am sure I missed one!)
Quote by gonzaw
I know, I took it from that thread specifically (the joke that is)....
In fact, it was even your last post...

I had my suspicions but was to lazy to check
UG's Flamenco Club