Page 1 of 2
My new build!

Granted, i have got another build, but i've had a few problems with it, and made a few mistakes on it, which i can't rectify. I was a bit of a beginner going into it, and may have rushed things without much practice. So that has now been abandoned.
But after months of practice with wood work and electrical research, and i mean extensive practise and research.
My second attempt is here!

Based similarly to my last design -
planned specs are:
Telecaster shape body - Ash wood
Maple neck, ebony fretboard, bone nut
Strat Hardtail bridge
Locking tuners
Kill switch

Fernandes sustainer in neck
BKP nailbomb in bridge

And then, a Kaoss pad controller. for use with a KP2

Finish will be black, maybe with a chrome binding if anyone knows where to get it?

I've got everything except the neck, pickups and KaossPad, although i will most likely use the neck off my previous build as it is what i need, some headstock shaping will make it perfect.
So that just leaves the pickups and KaossPad.

Couple of picks just for a taster:

Yes, yes, I know its based VERY strongly off a certain someones guitar, pleaseeee no flaming of it. you may be a hater of his guitars and effects etc, but its something that i really want to do.

Seeing as my exams are over and the summers approaching, i'll have plenty of time to do this, so updates should be fairly often. Will keep you posted
sounds like a good plan mate, i know exactly what you mean about rushing into a first project though, the seconds always easier (well mines alot easier up to now), good luck with it (Y)

based on matt bellamy's Manson im guessing ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
sounds like a good plan mate, i know exactly what you mean about rushing into a first project though, the seconds always easier (well mines alot easier up to now), good luck with it (Y)

based on matt bellamy's Manson im guessing ?

Yea, it was one of those things that i thought if i did it, i'd pick it up as i went along, but was a tad ambitious i think, this time round got better tools, better experience etc

And yea, spot on aha.

Only thing is now getting my hands on a KP2 to mod.
For those that don't know what i'm going on about

This is what i'm doing, but in black, it'll look pretty damn similar.
I don't know if i'm sticking a fuzz factory in it yet, probably just stick with the floor pedal.

I will be contouring the body too, as flat top teles bore me, adding a shoulder contour at least and maybe the back. I'll see when i get round too it.
lookin' good my friend!

always wierds me out, talking about him as "Bellamy"...

my ex's first name was Bellamy...

bitch...
------

Shwiggity.
awsome, im not a fan of the shape of those manson guitars, a tele will look awsome with this kinda features.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by aaron6890
*clicks subscribe*
hope you put up lots of pics!

sounds pretty awesome.

but are you open to other colors? why not a design? you could probably pull off something cool, like the bomber manson. that would be cool.

Well i'm kinda open to other colours, set on black at the minute but if something else takes my fancy.
I was maybe considering doing it black, then maybe doing a glitter burst from the centre or maybe one of the pickups/kaoss pad to look like a kind of explosion, but not sure if it'll look tacky or not. Or is it ripping off the original too much.

And i will be sure to put pictures up at every update. I'm hoping to get Neckpocket + Pickup routs done and maybe control cavity by the end of the week.
And once i've found a KP2 i'll rout that out too. I'm hoping i'll find one sooon.

Been trying to do the cost of this build. Without the Kaoss pad it comes to about £500ish. Kaoss pad will be around £100ish, so £600 i thinks pretty reasonable for this build.
And i already have most parts, might order bridge before end of the week too.
Hey I look forward to your updates. I'm planning on modding my starcaster (lulz) with a kp2 during summer for same reasons, i have time! Matt is awesome, if someone flames you for it, ignore them. I also PM-ed you.
Best of luck, HP
hey, im also considering doing a manson replica, the same way with a tele, although with mine, im going to make the lower horn a bit smaller and sharper.

It sounds like an awesome idea. For painting it, you could maybe do a silver base and blue glitter or something, i thought thats a pretty cool idea and if the KP2 gets too complicated, you could just revert to an inbuilt FF. Looking forwards to updates
xHighPotencyx:
Thanks for the PM mate, think its better to do it on a cheaper guitar anyway, keep us posted

halvies:
I may shape the horn slightly, not sure yet, i if i do it will be just sharpening it up, probably won't make it any shorter. And that colour scheme sounds pretty good actually, I'll weigh up the options when i get round to paining.
And i may include the fuzz factory anyway once its done, can always be done once its finished, the fuzz factory pcb isn't massive so won't require much routing

Also, i'm considering putting a KP3 instead of the KP2 now, as apparently there is no difference in the way they are built, its just a different pcb in there, they are also more available, unlike the KP2 which i'll have to buy second hand. But this is just an idea, might get too expensive
how ypu doing the Midi pad part? through midi or like how that Phil person did.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
how ypu doing the Midi pad part? through midi or like how that Phil person did.

Doing it the what thats on the tutorial. Looked into doing it the Midi way, but its much more expensive too do, and i won't be using it to control anything else, just the kaoss pad, which is why i'm doing it this way.
Although, i might see what options are available for a wireless system, but again this may be too expensive.
sounds good.
did you think about painting white binding with a chrome paint. or possibly using chrome trim from a car........ you could even gank some for free from a parking lot.......

and i think you've just sparked another wave of "Is it possible to put effects and/or a kaoss pad in a guitar" threads
congratulations.
"Here we are, Juggernaut."

/C/R/A/C/K/ my anti-dru...
Actually I think Black with the same glitter pattern as that one you showed would look great. Even though it is getting expensive I think you should try and get a used Fuzz Factory, that really colors a lot of Matt's tone.
So are you putting the guts of a Kaoss pad in a guitar, or have you bought a seperate pad to plug into a complete, external Kaoss pad

If its the second one, what have you bought and can you point me towards a website that sells it
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by rancidryan
do it. http://www.unmaintained.com/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=43 hope that helps with the kaoss pad

Yea thats what i'll be using, seems like a good walkthrough.

Quote by 1_wise_guy
sounds good.
did you think about painting white binding with a chrome paint. or possibly using chrome trim from a car........ you could even gank some for free from a parking lot.......

and i think you've just sparked another wave of "Is it possible to put effects and/or a kaoss pad in a guitar" threads
congratulations.

Thats not a bad idea actually, although i've never seen anything thats been painted with chrome paints in person, only images.
And well, I'll be taking pictures & maybe a video, although i'm a bit camera shy, so it may just be a simplified walkthrough of the current walkthrough so can point people in the direction of it

Quote by Wakisazhi
Actually I think Black with the same glitter pattern as that one you showed would look great. Even though it is getting expensive I think you should try and get a used Fuzz Factory, that really colors a lot of Matt's tone.

I'm actually going to be building a fuzz factory, once i've got usage of the workshop at 6th form, i can build the pcb's. so i might make 5 or 6 of em, make one a pedal, stick one in this then sell the rest, could be a nice little earner to fund this project

Quote by CrowLord
So are you putting the guts of a Kaoss pad in a guitar, or have you bought a seperate pad to plug into a complete, external Kaoss pad

If its the second one, what have you bought and can you point me towards a website that sells it

And no its just the touchpad that goes into the guitar, the guts of it will sit on my pedal board. If you look at the website rancidryan posted, thats what i'm using, its very useful.
Quote by TomR
And no its just the touchpad that goes into the guitar, the guts of it will sit on my pedal board. If you look at the website rancidryan posted, thats what i'm using, its very useful.

So, you are taking a Kaoss pad apart then? I get ya.
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
Quote by xHighPotencyx
How do you make a fuzz factory?

PCB layout and solder the components to it same as any other pedal build, apart from some of the parts for this are a bit harder to find than normal.

Quote by CrowLord
So, you are taking a Kaoss pad apart then? I get ya.

Yea, well just taking out the touchpad and then in essence extending the wires which connect it too the Kaoss itself.
@ the chrome binding idea, I did something like that on my custom although using silver spray paint and clear coating over it, but I've heard of chrome paint aswell. If you're patient enough with the masking tape it could turn out pretty nice. Just make sure the edges are scuff sanded first so the paint really sticks.

First off, let me say that last year I built a Kaoss guitar complete with a KP2 touchpad, Nailbombs, and color shifting paint. The write-up on unmaintained.com is great for building a functional model to experiment with, but that model is virtually useless in a live setting as you only have a very small degree of immediate control.

First I will address the issue of the hold button. You don't need to put the hold button on the guitar. To be perfectly honest outside of setting presets on the unit itself you'll probably never even use it. Bellamy's guitars use independent touchpad Midi controllers without a Midi In port so putting the hold button on the guitar is kind of necessary. When doing hardware mods, you can put the hold button anywhere you want to. If you decide you need immediate control over it, put it in a footswitch, not on the guitar, your hands will be busy enough.

Also if you need LED's in the body of the guitar, use the separate circuit as described on unmaintained.com. This way you'll only have four wires connecting the unit to the guitar meaning you can use a Midi cable instead of a DB9 cable. My disregard for the DB9 cable has nothing to do with anything other than music stores don't usually stock them (if you have a pre-gig emergency and have to buy a cable) and they're kind of ugly (more so than a Midi cable anyway).

The aforementioned "biggest issue" associated with Kaoss guitars is the lack of live control. Fortunately there are a couple of options to give you complete control over the unit in a format guitarists are generally familiar with. The first is to build a simple footswitch assembly using momentary switches and one of those long Hammond cases for all of the program memory buttons. Doing this is very cheap, very effective, and (depending upon your soldering skills) very reliable, my first KP rig was built using this setup and has lasted for close to a year of heavy abuse with no issues at all. The other option is to control the unit via Midi...which is very difficult but ultimately more versatile. The only Midi floor controller on the market that can "fully" control a KP is the Rocktron All Access. The Behringer FCB1010 can get you by, but lacks the ability to give you fine control over all the necessary parameters at the same time. The Ground Control Pro is a complete joke if you're trying to control a KP. You need to consider your needs both now and in the future. If you're essentially using the KP as an effects processor with a single amp, then you don't need Midi. If, however, your rig starts to expand (at all) you'll quickly find that you either need a Midi controller, or tap dancing lessons. I'm now using an All Access LTD with a KP2 and plan on moving up to a KP3 later this month, my original pedalboard now sits as a backup.

Other notes to consider are that you NEED a true bypass box for the Kaoss Pad. Some presets are much more transparent than others, but none of them are really transparent in the traditional sense (my recommendation is a Lehle D.Loop or a Little Lehle). Also make sure and put the unit in the effects loop, some of the presets operate on different levels and most are modulation effects that generally sound crappy in front of the amp.

Like anything else, it's only as complicated as you make it. The physical mod itself is quite easy and anyone with rudimentary experience in woodwork and electrical work should be able to figure it out. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
IU swear to god, I'll worship you if it works =]

<33333

you are my new ido
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Kendall:

Well, a lot to take in there. Couple of things i had already considered was the LED's which i planned to have on a separate circuit anyway purely because of simplicity. and also the true bypass which i had already considered.
I had read on unmaintained that a DB9 cable was not neccassary and i was looking into other options so a midi cable was going to be my choice. I had already looked into the possibility of doing a footswitch but was unsure on what was involved, how i was going to do it etc. I was going to put the hold button on the guitar but from what you've said, as this will get a lot of live usage, putting it into the footswitch may be more suited for me.
And yes, my rig is always changing, got masses of pedals as it is, so from what you've said i think i may be changing what i'm doing slightly.

I think the footswitch will be my choice over the midi option as the rocktron system is bloody expensive. As much as i want this to be the best it can be, i can't afford to do that just now.

Is the footswitch as simple as re-running the wires from the buttons on the pad to a momentary switch on a footswitch? or is there something else involved?

Thanks for your input kendall, its GREATLY appreciated.
Can i ask what your actual aims for using the Kaoss pad are? Are you going to hook it up to a whammy pedal's midi input to control it? I just would like to know what it's possible uses are before i ever decide to buy one and stick it in a guitar.

Does anyone know how Matt Bellamy uses his?
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
Quote by CrowLord
Can i ask what your actual aims for using the Kaoss pad are? Are you going to hook it up to a whammy pedal's midi input to control it? I just would like to know what it's possible uses are before i ever decide to buy one and stick it in a guitar.

Does anyone know how Matt Bellamy uses his?

I'm just using the pad from the kaoss to control the Kaoss effects, Midi is far to expensive as much as i'd love to be able too.

Matt Belamy has an XY pad in his guitar, which uses midi to control the pad, whereas my plan is to have the actual pad on the guitar.
And the new plan is to have some of the buttons from the Kaoss pad in a footswitch. Just going to wait for Kendals reply to how to do it. If it is a simple as i think it is, shouldn't be any hastle
wouldnt the kaoss pad also control the whammy? doesnt the kaoss pad have a midi out that you could connect to the whammy? and midi is not expensive. it just has this mystique around it because guitar players dont understand it and assume it must be pricey. midi is actually one of the few programming languages that hasnt been changed, replaced or updated in almost 20 years.
Quote by noisefarmer
wouldnt the kaoss pad also control the whammy? doesnt the kaoss pad have a midi out that you could connect to the whammy? and midi is not expensive. it just has this mystique around it because guitar players dont understand it and assume it must be pricey. midi is actually one of the few programming languages that hasnt been changed, replaced or updated in almost 20 years.

Not sure, would be a bonus if it did control the whammy, although this is news too me.
And as Kendall above said, who i have spoke to a while in the past so i know he knows his stuff, said that the only device capable of controlling it too its full potential is the Rocktron access which is very expensive. If there are any others which will give the same flexibility for less please let me know

And i will admit i am new to midi, and is something i want to look into, but from what i have seen it is pricey.
Sweet looking build, I've been thinking about building a guitar and putting a Kaoss pad in it, though I don't know how. How would one go about connecting it to the guitar? How are you planning on doing it?

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVystFVwdzk is that the Kaoss in action by chance? (the very beginning)
TomR,

Setting any of the buttons on the KP to operate via footswitches only requires wiring them to a momentary footswitch as you suspected.

Regarding controlling a Whammy, this is actually very easy as well. The KP transmits Midi data on several CC#'s and you can use either the X or Y axis to control a Whammy 4 or the Whammy function on another processor such as a G Major.

Midi isn't terribly complicated or terribly expensive most of the time. What makes some floor controllers expensive is their ability to do things above and beyond what most guitarists want, and the fact that they're built like tanks. You can have a complex guitar rig and still be able to control it with an entry level Midi controller most of the time, but the KP has data demands that simply can not be met by anything else (including even more expensive controllers from the likes of Axess and CAE).

The only other way I can think of for a guitarist to explore the entire potential of a KP in a live setting is to have a laptop in your rig (with some type of Midi software that is appropriate for KP control) that is slaved to a simpler and less expensive controller.

Either way, obtaining KP versatility through hardware mods works fine and is much less expensive than even the most basic Midi controllers.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Kendall:

I've got to thank you so much for your help
I think i will go the option of the footswitch, I could put a laptop in the setup, but I think thats getting a bit OTT for the gigs i'll be doing. At the moment its like max of 2000. So i think exploring the capabilities via footswitch will be more than enough to wow the crowd and suit my needs.

I'll look into controling the wammy at a later date, as it doesn't seem hard, and do it via the x-y pad

Now i've got my head around this more than i had at the start, progress should be frequent from now

Again thanks Kendall for your help and everyone elses input upto this point.
Quote by heaven's gate
Sweet looking build, I've been thinking about building a guitar and putting a Kaoss pad in it, though I don't know how. How would one go about connecting it to the guitar? How are you planning on doing it?

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVystFVwdzk is that the Kaoss in action by chance? (the very beginning)

I'm sticking the actual pad from the kaoss pad into the guitar. Check the link thats been posted for the tutorial. Its simpler than it looks. Although, i'm hoping i'll be making a step by step easier guide than that. More user friendly. So keep your eye out on the build
Quote by heaven's gate

nah its not thats just a knob from his built in fuzz factory i beilive
Quote by TomR
I'm sticking the actual pad from the kaoss pad into the guitar. Check the link thats been posted for the tutorial. Its simpler than it looks. Although, i'm hoping i'll be making a step by step easier guide than that. More user friendly. So keep your eye out on the build

Yeah I noticed that link after I posted heh. Reading it now. So, the touchpad is still connected to the rest of the unit... but does one mod the rest of the unit into a footswitch? Or do you just turn it on when in use and have to bend down to hit buttons and switches? (I know nothing about KPs) Or do you just operate it with the touchpad...?

Quote by rancidryan
nah its not thats just a knob from his built in fuzz factory i beilive

Ah ok, thanks.
Quote by heaven's gate
Yeah I noticed that link after I posted heh. Reading it now. So, the touchpad is still connected to the rest of the unit... but does one mod the rest of the unit into a footswitch? Or do you just turn it on when in use and have to bend down to hit buttons and switches? (I know nothing about KPs) Or do you just operate it with the touchpad...?

What it is, is pretty much extending the wires which connect the Kaoss 'box' ( i shall call it ) to the pad itself so they reach to the guitar. obviously this is best if its a removable cable such as a midi cable which i am using in my case.
Then i am detaching the wires from the buttons in the Kaoss 'box' and attaching these to switches in a footswitch so i can control all the functions with either my hands on the guitar or my feet
One thing I don't get is: how does the Kaoss process the guitar signal? Does it go guitar > Kaoss > amp? Do you plug your 1/4 incher into the Kaoss?
Quote by heaven's gate
One thing I don't get is: how does the Kaoss process the guitar signal? Does it go guitar > Kaoss > amp? Do you plug your 1/4 incher into the Kaoss?

well one problem is that there are no 1/4 inputs, but adaptors can be used to solve this. A true bypass box is needed to completely bypass it. But other than the adaptors it sits like a normal pedal. But there is, lets say a 3rd cable coming out which goes to the guitar for the screen. It sounds complicated but it isn't really.
Page 1 of 2