more like guitar help, but w/e. I have a microcube and a HSS strat. I've really been hating my tone lately, its way too bright and shrill to my liking. It's not the amp, because my friend got some amazing tones out of it with his Gibson LP Standard. Obviously a LP Standard is out of my budget nor am I looking to get a Gibson/Epiphone. I like to play blues and Pink Floyd, and the tone I'm looking for is a warm smooth tone (Similar to Hey Joe) but I'm finding it near impossible to get a thick, fat tone out of my strat. I'm open to getting a new guitar, but it has to be under $600 (give or take a few bucks). My favorite tones are from the songs: Hey Joe (Hendrix), Little Wing(HEndrix/SRV), High Hopes(Pink Floyd), Time(Pink Floyd), and White Room(Cream). Maybe its just my guitar, but the pickups are either too bright, or too muddy... I can never find a sweet spot for the tone.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
You should be able to get a nice tone with that guitar. Especially as Hey Joe was recorded with a Strat...

Obviously a new amp would rectify that, but just try playing with the EQ. Or maybe it's just that your friend is a better guitarist? Alot of the tone comes from the fingers, get him to play through the amp with your Strat.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
it says in the OP that I have a Micro Cube. I should tell him to use the strat though. IDK his les paul always has that milky smooth distortion that strats should be good at... My strat has a tone that would be perfect for shred, but not for much anything else.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by Grimpenguin
it says in the OP that I have a Micro Cube. I should tell him to use the strat though. IDK his les paul always has that milky smooth distortion that strats should be good at... My strat has a tone that would be perfect for shred, but not for much anything else.

Definitely get a new amp. Check out the Fender Blues Junior...really great amp for your type of music. For some nice smooth distortion, grab an Ibanez Tube Screamer for 100 bucks. Strat + Blues Junior + Tube Screamer = GODLY TONE!
Quote by GibsonStrat87
What amp do you have?

he's got microcube. read the post.

As far as your tone goes, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to get a good sound out of it. It's a good guitar and a decent amp. All i can really suggest is mess around with the EQ and the tone controls on your guitar.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I don't know that much about the kind of amp that you have, but if you wanna get a good bluesy tone like that, you gotta turn your amps volume up pretty loud. Then take the gain control and take it to about 9:00, or just when you're getting a little bit of breakup. then take your strat, put the pickup selector onto the neck pickup, roll back the tone a little bit, and then you should be good to go! Hope that helped.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
oh yeah and I never worry about the eq on my amp. I just crank all those to max and then just control the tone from my guitar. but I have a les paul, so i've probably got a little bit more control over my tone on my guitar than a strat.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
LPs are built for that creamy distortion. I would get a new amp, not a new guitar. Something tube, as they can get very thick, creamy OD. Or just play around with the EQ abd pickup switch on your Strat. You should be able to get at least one good sound out of that Strat.