Or should I go with the flow?

Here's the situation.

I'm a new addition to a group. I'm the second to last addition to be exact. Before I joined there was a singer/guitarist, singer, bassist and drummer. I obviously joined as a second guitarist, and we just recently picked up a keys player. The singer/guitarist is the "focal point" of the group. He writes the songs, for the most part, he does a lot of the leg work of getting us together for practice (though me and the bass player have been trying to make it easier for him).

However...he's almost too laid back. Not that he should, but he doesn't really get on us to show up for practice (we're not a band trying to light the world on fire, I should mention that), which leads to a very "prolonged jamming group" mentality instead of a band mentality.

To add to that, he doesn't name songs, which makes practice a little difficult and idiosyncratic and annoying. "Okay, wanna try that one..." "Which one...?"

And maybe I'm OCD, but we also don't have a name...or seemingly care that we don't.

I've already put out feelers to try to get him to both name his songs, and to get the group to name ourselves, but it was treated with not apathy, but not exactly glorious applause either.

So, should I step up and try to be the "driving force" of the band, without taking the focal away from the singer/guitarist? Basically be like, look, you handle this, and I'll handle the logistical stuff. Or should I stay in the background and let things flow naturally?

I mean, I think I can handle the no-band name thing for now...mainly because we aren't playing out in the near future. But no song names...it is SO hard to rehearse without that point of reference.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd get him to name the songs. Not having a name doesn't really matter if you're not playing gigs or making albums. But as long as everyone is getting along for the most part, just go along with it.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Yeah, that's kinda my thought, but me and the bassist were bs'ing the other day, and we both hit on a simple psychological nature of bands...if it doesn't have a name, there's a motivational problem. Once you get a name, you feel as if there's a sense of direction. That's my only real hang up with being nameless.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Names don't mean a thing, the only reason my bands songs had names was so that we could remember them. So we just named them whatever was on our mind, some examples were Pony Scythe, Bacon cheeseburger, wizards fury. It really doesn't matter. And having a band name is not that big a deal either, it's just good to have something to tell people when they ask whats the name of your band. But it sounds like everything is going good, so don't mess up a good thing with little meaningless annoyances.
You could always suggest that he simply numbers the songs for now (which really is just another way of naming the songs, but instead of naming them with a word or collection of words you just call them 'Number 1' for the first song written and carry on naming them like that) so that you all know what songs you are rehearsing.
As for stepping up? Hmmmm, difficult. It depends on the guy's personality, some would welcome someone else taking all the hassel of organising stuff out of their hands, but others could see a relative newcomer trying to take over his band and be offended by that.
If he's a really laid back kinda guy, I'd say it can't hurt to talk to him about it, but make absolutely cirtain that you convey to him that you really do not wish to step on any toes.
I wouldn't worry about the no band name because you guys aren't gigging right now and it doesn't sound like there's a motivation problem. It sounds like he's writing and you're all practicing.

I would push for him to name his songs though. Tell him that it's too confusing for practice otherwise. Talk to your other bandmates. I'm sure they'll agree with you.

Quote by BaffAttack
So, should I step up and try to be the "driving force" of the band, without taking the focal away from the singer/guitarist? Basically be like, look, you handle this, and I'll handle the logistical stuff. Or should I stay in the background and let things flow naturally?

Since you said he's laid back I think it would be fine to step up. Just make sure it doesn't look like you're trying to take over and you should be fine.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Communication is a big part of successful bands. If your singer/guitarist is a laid back and reasonable guy, talk to his. Point out what you've said here, because they all seem to be good and valid points that could help your band. Offer him your help in organising the band, but make it clear to him that you don't want to take over, or take on his role.

Make it clear that you just want to help out logistically, and get things running a bit more smoothly, while he retains leadership or the frontman role. If he agrees to what you want to do, talk about it with the other members. Ultimately, you may have a leader, but you're still a team. Make sure everyone is on-board with what you want to do.
Okay, a month later and we've practiced a grand total of ONCE, and that was only a partial band practice. I'm really starting to feel like I'm the only one with even a speck of motivation, and I'm not looking to be in a huge gig every weekend group! That's kind of what I was talking about when I said that no names lend itself to no focus...its like, every week, nobody can decide when to practice (to which I'm always like, how hard is it to set aside ONE NIGHT for practice a week...I understand that occasionally things will come up but come on). I just want to play with people with similar direction on a semi-regular to regular basis. And I'm really getting the feeling I won't find it with this group...

So, I sent out a few feelers. Keeping my options open. I don't feel like I'm in the position to take charge of this particular group, so I'd rather bow out graciously...it's not like they'd lose any time...because what time? Ugh.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣