Poll Options
View poll results: CDs Vs. Digital
CDs
52 80%
Digital
13 20%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 2
I am having a mental breakdown over this decision. Do I want to buy new albums online or stick with the hard copy. A lot of times the digital copy is cheaper but you don't get the actual physical CD with the beautiful artwork

So Pit, I am asking for your help, do i purchase Albums digitally or kick it old school and stick to CDs.

Please state any opinions regarding which form you think is better along with any Pros/Cons you see.
i like CD's better, but I dont have money to spend on them..and most of the time I hate the CD's that stores sell..
If I had the money, I would buy CDs.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I don't see the fuss with CD's, we'll just put the music on our iPods
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I don't buy CDs cause I have to leave my bedroom to get them. And I don't really care about album art anyways, execpt the actual disc of The Essential Ozzy Osbourne is pretty awesome
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
CDs all the way. One, you get the nice artwork, and two, you have a hard copy just in case something happens to your computer. On a personal level, I like seeing them all lined up and put away nicely. xD

And one last thing, CDs are higher quality than itunes. itunes has icky quality.
I prefer a tangible object that I can rub all over myself and smell and make me feel good about myself. That being said buying music off of itunes is so much easier and so much more convenient, and in many cases cheaper too.
definitely cd's man. like everyone else said, cd art, you have the "hard" copy and i have the cd rack in the shape of an acoustic guitar. the body of it is what holds all the cd's its pretty sweet. im working on getting it full ... not sure how much it holds but id say around 50-80 cd's. its pretty cool
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
If you want the whole album, and not just one or two songs, then CDs. If you just want a certain song, then Digital. Theres no way I would pay $15 or more just for 3 or 4 good songs and 7 or 8 mediocre or bad songs.
Quote by Jade_Simone
CDs all the way. One, you get the nice artwork, and two, you have a hard copy just in case something happens to your computer. On a personal level, I like seeing them all lined up and put away nicely. xD

And one last thing, CDs are higher quality than itunes. itunes has icky quality.

I agree ^
I love seeing all my cds nice and stacked...
cds are way better!!!!!!!
Quote by Jade_Simone

this
Vinyl, then rip it to your computer.

and yeah aren't iTunes tracks like 128k or something? fuck that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i like having something to hold and look at when i spend money, rather than a list of tracks on itunes.

cool album art is cool.
Drum machine or actual drummer?
Basically the same question.
As you can tell, i'm all for CDs.
They're not much more expensive.
dude, buy the actual cd off the internet not just the songs, theyll ship it right to your door and it's about the same price.try amazon

http://www.amazon.com/music-rock-classical-pop-jazz/b/ref=sa_menu_mu1/102-0190582-4096925?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=5174&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_r=0AASMSSF4B0TPBCWEMHQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=328655101&pf_rd_i=507846

But i always buy cd's , better sound quality, i like the art, i like to support the bands. Unless you liste to like huge bands, but if it's like some underground band then get the cd

No.....

Personally cd's for me, vynil if It suits

I have an origional pressing of blue monday by new order I love it to death.Its all in the packaging.I feel I dont actually own it unless I can hold the cd/vynil.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Well if you listen to tons oF music and have cash you should probably stick with CDs. I have never used itunes however, so I can compare it to that. Why don't you just burn mp3s to a cd-r or something? New CDs are getting to be awful in price, I can see why people use itunes and other online sources. Why should people have to pay $15-20 for something that costs 3 cents to manufacture?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Vinyl, then rip it to your computer.

and yeah aren't iTunes tracks like 128k or something? fuck that.

You can just set the import quality to 320kb/s, same as CD.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Amphisbaena

No, not really, you don't play classic rock with a drum machine, likewise you probably wouldn't do most sorts of electronica with a real drummer. Whereas with this CDs just sound better than most songs you can buy online (I have yet to see an online store that offers FLAC, WMLossless or even 320k mp3s)

Quote by Jonn0
You can just set the import quality to 320kb/s, same as CD.

I'm talking about you buy from them, they are all 128k, they offer a few at 256k but not a lot, and they have been heavily criticized for this.

Last.fm
Quote by LedDaveZeppelin
Definitely CDs. And its a better way to truely support the artist. Give them your money.

actually, artists tend to get more money if you buy mp3s.

Last.fm
CD's. I like physically having music in my hands.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I personally hate digital music, I would much rather own something I can hold and see. Sure I get digital, but I usually end up getting the CD later. Digital music is sort of what I use as a "taste tester", see what the album is like, then just go out and buy it later. The artwork is a plus and it looks better to have a few dozen CD's on your desk than an mp3/iPod sitting there.
Quote by bradulator
CD's. I like physically having music in my hands.

But I should also say that I downloaded music from like 2002 to 2007, lol

I still bought a few CD's in that time, but I was too cheap/lazy...i'm still too cheap/lazy, but since my computer crashed last December I decided I should buy my music now so I don't have to lose it all when the computer crashes.

I did get all of the music files back somehow though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
although digital is so much easier, i perfer CDs.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Mp3s are just so convenient compared to cds.

I don't understand how a 1982 invention can still be the standard for music recordings.

Because the two big formats to come along between them and mp3s (namely DAT and MiniDisc) just never caught on in a lot of places, sort of like how the LaserDisc never replaced VHS.

Last.fm
they both sound too much like computer chips. get your music on the greatest analog format evar...

water.

just dont make ramen noodles out of a guitar solo.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
...torrents anyone?

edit: if you really want the cd just burn the mp3s onto one..it's not that hard.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Because the two big formats to come along between them and mp3s (namely DAT and MiniDisc) just never caught on in a lot of places, sort of like how the LaserDisc never replaced VHS.

Must be something like that, yeah.

I think the format should be forgotten, I hate how easily CDs tend to become gradually unplayable, with skipping for example.
Maybe you should only buy CD's which are absolute must haves for you - your favorite band's CD's etc.? And the rest buy just the digital copy/download? I've heard the best way to support the artist is to buy their merch at shows and to go to their shows, since the record company takes a pretty big cut of their earnings. I'm not too sure about that, but if it eases your mind...
If I had money, I would definitely, always, look for and buy CDs, and if I couldn't find it, THEN I would download.

But, quite simply, I never have money, and do not have a job yet (keyword "yet").

But, yes, in terms of having CDs, and vinyl for that matter, I love it
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
The correct answer is both. CD's when you can find them, download for when you're lazy or when getting the CD is impractical/unavailable.

Itunes has icky quality? Do you mean to tell me you put lossless audio files on your mp3 player? I've never had a problem doing 128 kb/s, plus it also saves space. I think Itunes just has icky DRM, if you had a problem with that I would understand.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
CDs for sure. I feel incomplete without a cd in a nice case with the papers inside the cover. CDs > digital.
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
CD's almost always sound better. Go with CD's. Or, sometimes, I'll download something illegally until I have enough money to buy the CD.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Page 1 of 2