Hey, I've been practicing a lot lately since college is on break and I've recently been doing a lot of 3NPS patterns to help my legato and picking accuracy.

My problem is that whenever I make the stretch required for 3NPS stuff, I have to sort of arch my hand and bend my wrist so it's at maybe a 75 degree angle with my forearm. I know this is bad posture because honestly it doesn't feel right. However, I can't seem to make the 3NPS stretch without contorting myself this way.

Is there a better way I can do this? Something I've overlooked?
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
How high is your guitar? You might just have it too low for that kind of playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Can you post a picture of your hand; that would make it much easier to see what you mean.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah I'd like to see how you normally hold the neck, that could help me to give you a good answer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
your wrist wasn't completely straight in the first pic (it should be, or very close) try lengthening your guitar strap a bit, and maybe holding the neck a little further out from your body.

Last.fm
Lengthening my strap makes it worse and holding the neck farther away doesn't really change anything.

The more I think about it, the more I don't see how its possible to keep my your wrist straight when doing any sort of stretch at all. The "baseball bat" grip keeps my wrist straight nicely, but I can't really stretch that way.

Are there pictures out there where I could look at proper left-hand posture?
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Your second picture looks fine to me, I play those the same way, but its comfortable for me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Kultur Vultur
Lengthening my strap makes it worse and holding the neck farther away doesn't really change anything.

The more I think about it, the more I don't see how its possible to keep my your wrist straight when doing any sort of stretch at all. The "baseball bat" grip keeps my wrist straight nicely, but I can't really stretch that way.

Are there pictures out there where I could look at proper left-hand posture?

It doesn't have to be perferctly straight, but it shouldn't be at a 90 degree angle either, how are you positioning your fingers, your fingertips should be perpendicular to the strings you are fretting and your palm should be face up towards the treble side of the neck, it should not be facing your body, and if you do have to angle your palm up you should move your elbow down to compensate, or you can angle the guitar neck up.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It doesn't have to be perferctly straight, but it shouldn't be at a 90 degree angle either, how are you positioning your fingers, your fingertips should be perpendicular to the strings you are fretting and your palm should be face up towards the treble side of the neck, it should not be facing your body, and if you do have to angle your palm up you should move your elbow down to compensate, or you can angle the guitar neck up.

I tried these things and the best I can seem to do is move the guitar neck to be very vertical. Even then my wrist is still bent at like, 60 degrees.

Does anyone have a picture of what their hand looks like for this?
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
i don't have a pic, but when doing a 5 fret (4-9) stretch on the low E my neck is at a 60 degree angle (normally it's at about 45-50 degrees) with my wrist bent about 15 degrees.

Last.fm
Quote by Kultur Vultur
Does your palm touch the treble side of the neck?

yeah, but that's unavoidable unless you use a really short radius neck or have super long fingers. Rubbing your palm against the neck of the guitar won't cause tendonitis, constantly overbending your wrist will.

Last.fm
Pressing my palm against the neck like that works a bit, but my wrist still ends up being bent at about 45 degrees. It's kind of a semi-baseball bat grip now.

Did you find that as you could stretch more the angle of your wrist decreased?
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
no not really, but playing with your wrist as straight as possible is a hell of lot more comfortable.

Last.fm
I agree, but it's hells of hard to make any stretch for me if my wrist isn't at least at 45 degree angle. God damn this sucks ass.

Does anyone else have any advice? I'm wicked stumped at this point and don't want carpal tunnel...
In the Oven:

18 Watt!