Hey guys i need help with this one. I have a Marshall Dsl-100 for about a year now, and i loved the tone at first but now i'm looking for something different. I play everything so what i need is versatility. I need something that can do sparkling cleans, crunchy overdrive and heavy thick distortion.

I plan to sell my amp for about 700 so the most i can spend on a new amp is probably 800-900 if i sell my old one for 700. I was thinking of getting a b-52 at-100, anyone know how this stacks up against my old marshall? I also have a Bad Monkey which i like using a lot with the marshall to give it that chug sound for metal and to thicken up the tone. Would the bad monkey be just as useful with a new more versatile amp?

I also kind of modded my dsl, to take out a lot of the harshness. It worked and made it sound more like a jcm800 so if you want to hear my amp to compare it with a suggested amp check my youtube for my tones.

EDIT: Let me just add, that even though i play everything, i play mostly hard rock, classic rock. And i love Gilmour's tone or at least the etherealness, and somewhat raw sound of it. This is probably due to the single coils and delay but it could be other reasons.
Last edited by PiperDawnsGate at Jun 4, 2008,
B-52 would be good. Probably could get a 5150 or something. Maybe a chorus pedal to help the cleans. You could even get a JCM 800.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Well...the Peavey JSX is a very versatile amp - and it would match your cab!
+1.
Also it has the three sounds you mentioned you were looking for. They can be found used for $800-$1000.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Not really too convinced on the Peavey JSX, I'm really thinking about the AT-100 but from some clips it sounds kind of thin.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Not really too convinced on the Peavey JSX, I'm really thinking about the AT-100 but from some clips it sounds kind of thin.

Yup thats my main issue with the AT-100 and All the B-52's
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup thats my main issue with the AT-100 and All the B-52's

Would the Bad Monkey Od be able to help with thickening the tone like it does with my DSL?
Gilmour?

HIWATT!!!! Yeah. I know. Overbudget

Hmmm. Maybe have a look at, as people have said, a JCM800? I tested a B52 a while ago and it did sound kinda thin, but you may could use the bad monkey to thicken things up.

But if it were me, I would definately look into the JCM. Or a clone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Gilmour?

HIWATT!!!! Yeah. I know. Overbudget

Hmmm. Maybe have a look at, as people have said, a JCM800? I tested a B52 a while ago and it did sound kinda thin, but you may could use the bad monkey to thicken things up.

But if it were me, I would definately look into the JCM. Or a clone.

Lol, well hiwatts aren't just an overkill on price, they are so hard to use(well at least for me). Only reason Gilmour can make one sound so good is because he uses so many effects running with it.

As far as jcm800's go, it may be a solution, but i got my dsl100 running pretty close to the jcm800's i've tried, which were original. And what clones are you talking about, like traynor's? I've been thinking about the traynor ycs too, it seems like a versatile amp also? anyone got anything to say about any marshall clones and how they stack up, also how the traynor ycs stacks up too?
Okay i've looked into it more and i'm thinking a traynor ycs50, anyone know how this stacks up against my dsl?
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Okay i've looked into it more and i'm thinking a traynor ycs50, anyone know how this stacks up against my dsl?

Was that a pun?

And generally, Traynor's are sweet amps .
The B-52 is pretty good. Nice cleans and the bad monkey will add quite a bit of thickness. That's actually what my setup is right now. Plus the whole rectifier portion allows you to tighten the the sound up for heavier stuff. The only beef I have with it is that it's really heavy weightwise.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Was that a pun?

And generally, Traynor's are sweet amps .

Ha, no pun intended . Anyone know anything about the Traynor ycs and how it compares to actual marshalls?
If you can afford it, and it would be worth saving for aswell,

if i were you id go for the peavey JSX, its seams perfect for what you need

I am a huge Marshall fan, however in your situation i think you need the JSX, and not a JCM 800, because its not that versatile, and certainly wouldnt do the 'sparkling cleans', but the overdrive is 2nd too none, if your a marshal fan.

just my opinion

Ciaran
yeah i think i've made up my mind and i'm going with the peavey jsx. Only problem is i can't find a used one in my area.
What about a Mesa? Mark IV's are really nice, though I didn't spend much time on the clean channel.