Right now I have a 5150 II running through a 5150 cab. I know, I need a better cab lol but can't really afford it right now. I was looking for something to tighten things up a little and maybe give things a little boost. I was thinking about either an Maxon OD808 overdrive or a an EQ. If I go with an EQ i'll prolly go with an MXR 10 band. If I had the money I would get both and probably will eventually but for now I'm leaning toward the Maxon OD808. I was just wandering what you guys think and if anyone has used these with a 5150 or 6505.

Edit - I've also heard good things about Digitech's Bad Monkey and that they are very similiar to a Maxon OD808 and are obviously cheaper, but I have never been a fan of Digitech pedals to be honest. Any opinion on these?
Last edited by nate23 at Jun 4, 2008,
weird, i have a 5150 and a maxon od-808. I got the 808 because the distortion on that amp isn't too good, and Adam from KsE uses it so i thought i'd try it. It really does make the amp 10 times better. I set the crunch to 7 1/2 and the maxon at 12 o'clock and it's just so brutal. I'd suggest the Maxon.
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
An EQ will give your more tonal options, so I'd say go for the EQ if you have the money. But the MAxon Overdrive is very good and I don't think it will make your sound mushy. It will certainly boost it.
Quote by burn the stars
get the EQ if you want things tight, an OD will just make things muddy

Really? I've read that the Maxon will tighten up the low end a little.
Quote by LPDave
weird, i have a 5150 and a maxon od-808. I got the 808 because the distortion on that amp isn't too good, and Adam from KsE uses it so i thought i'd try it. It really does make the amp 10 times better. I set the crunch to 7 1/2 and the maxon at 12 o'clock and it's just so brutal. I'd suggest the Maxon.

Yea I think I'm gonna give the Maxon a try. I'm prolly gonna get it at Guitar Center being that I have store credit there anyways and if I'm not satisfied I can just take it back within a month.
Quote by burn the stars
get the EQ if you want things tight, an OD will just make things muddy

No clue what your talking about. An overdrive removes muddiness from a 5150 and tightens it.

Maxon OD808 or OD9, depending on which you prefer. Try them both.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I'd say an eq for now. Go for the MXR 6-band. Or if you really want, the Danelectro fish 'n Chips. Then save for an OD.