Hi all, this is probably a dumb question, but I just wanted to know:
When playing (single notes and such, not chords/strumming), should you have your pinky and ring fingers (or even the middle) resting on the pickguard, or is it better to simply have your hand suspended over the strings and do everything entirely from the wrist? Does it matter?

Thanks

I sometimes have my pinky there, I think it's just how you like to play lol
I have mine muting the strings im not currently using. Unless I am sweeping of course. Don't do that. Resting is just something some people do naturally.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
He's talking about the picking hand. I let mine rest far enough down so i dont mute the strings. For the most part, you should be using your wrist for your picking.
Well......I have big balls.
Resting isn't at all bad. BUT don't do it all the time. Resting is just for muscle memory like when string skipping and soloing over the entire stringed area. Doing arpeggios on the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th strings.
i keep the meat of my palm ( the edge of my hand...the pinky side) rested on the bridge, so i can do either, but I'm still comfortable playing anyway. I prefer this style cuz u can play in any wierd position and practically pick the same. My teacher tought me