So here's my predicament. I had a laptop, a Dell Inspiron B130. The power supply on that laptop died (as in, would not in any way hold a charge), so i got a new one, an IBM ThinkPad.

There are still some things on the old hard drive that I want to put on the new hard drive, namely music and pictures.

The old hard drive is a Hitachi Travelstar 40gb. The new one, i dunno. I also have a 100gb portable usb hard drive. Would that come in handy?

What should I do folks? do I need to buy something?
You can link the two computers with a router or just transfer everything onto the portable drive and copy it onto the new.
I should clarify. The first laptop, the dell with all the stuff on it that i want, i cannot turn on. The computer doesn't respond to a power cord being plugged into it. It will not turn on.
well it sound like you are royally f]ucked then my friend, sorry.

ps: I'm no tech wizard, it just sounds like there's nothing u can do
There is something, i just don't remember what it's called. some kind of usb linkup cable thingamajig.
Quote by skeptopotamus
There is something, i just don't remember what it's called. some kind of usb linkup cable thingamajig.

If you're talking about a crossover patch cable then it won't work unless both laptops are able to be turned on. Unless you can remove the hdd and insert it into an external casing then there's not too much you can do.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

laptops will usually turn on without a battery in them as long as they're plugged into the wall,
try taking the battery out and turning it on (on the dell one).
Then you could either copy all of the stuff you want onto the USB hardrive or you could network the laptops together and copy the stuff across
Quote by 666hamish666
laptops will usually turn on without a battery in them as long as they're plugged into the wall,
try taking the battery out and turning it on (on the dell one).
Then you could either copy all of the stuff you want onto the USB hardrive or you could network the laptops together and copy the stuff across

That's the thing...the input jack is fried, so even with it plugged in there is no response.
Could you take out the HD from dead laptop and put it in your new laptop? Then you could copy everything onto your external HD. Then just replace the HD in the new laptop and copy everything onto it from your external HD.

I dunno how easy it is to take out a HD from a laptop.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Quote by skeptopotamus
That's the thing...the input jack is fried, so even with it plugged in there is no response.

are you sure it's the battery and the input?

check the power cord. I also have a B130, and if you plug in the power cable, and the little yellow light on the inverter doesn't turn on, that means you have a bad power cable. YOu can get a new one on ebay for about 30 bucks.

This happened to me, so I know.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
barb3rman- i don't think the hard drive inputs are the same for the two different computers, but ill take a look to see if it might work.

Musicman- Im positive it's the input. I bought a new power cord just to make sure. It's as though the input has become severed from the motherboard, which would render the entire thing useless.
Quote by skeptopotamus
barb3rman- i don't think the hard drive inputs are the same for the two different computers, but ill take a look to see if it might work.

Musicman- Im positive it's the input. I bought a new power cord just to make sure. It's as though the input has become severed from the motherboard, which would render the entire thing useless.

ok, i bet if there's a used computer shop or electronics shop in town, they might be able to help you out. I'm sure this happens to people all the time.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr