So, this year, i joined my schools Jazz Band (i got talked into it)
No. i dont play Jazz. neither does anyone else i know in it.

I walked in that day thinking i was pretty decently skilled...but as soon as some other kids plugged into the amp and started jamming during our free days, i immediately felt my face go red.

These guys are insanely good. like, one guitarist started ripping out Children of Bodom randomly. And a bassist has a ****load of Primus that he knows. And i can go on and on. And after i got to know them, out of the 4 guys, all of them have been playing in a much shorter time frame then me. and we all practice about the same amount.

My conclusion is my practicing technique sucks and i need to improve it.
I didnt think so as much before till yearbooks came out last week and one of them signed it "DUDE, weve gotta jam over the summer. When you get back to school, you WILL have learned how to shred that bass and put me and --- in our places!!"
But lately, i havent had as much time to practice ever since i got my new (and first haha. go and laugh) girlfriend. So ive been spending a lot of time with her. (Ho's before bro's eh? )

So, can anyone give me some kind of breakdown on how they practice?
Or just some songs that have decent bass that you can learn to get your skill up?
I realize i cant just be like...."I CAN PRACTICE FOR 12 HOURS TODAY AND GET GOOD!" but ive got a whole summer ahead of me that i can stay up late in. haha.

TIA for any help.
- ChrisBob
Everyone is going to chime in with their favourite practice routines, but in that year book quote is probably one of the key elements of getting better. Jam with people. Jam with those who are less skilled than you are and jam with people who are more skilled. Nothing will push your skills more. Then all of that scale work, that finger style work and that technique honing will start to make sense and you'll begin to know when to apply it and where to apply it.
Woooooooooo Cob.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Set aside at least half to 3/4 of an hour every day at the bare minimum. Learn songs that you like, and what you like only - can't really tell you what to learn. When I really got into playing, I started with the Chili Peppers and Rancid, Nirvana, ect. Bottom line, it's a mindset. Just find a band/artist you want to jam too, and listen, love, learn, and play constantly and you'll be golden no matter what.
~+~+~+~

--bass gear:
Ibanez Ergodyne EDB605
Ibanez Soundgear SRX500
Ibanez Soundgear SR100
Behringer Thunderbird BX108
Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000

--guitar gear: (n00b)
Dean Vendetta
Fender Frontman 25R
jazz and scale theory and such will help you so much. ive been playing for less than half as long as a lot of my friends have been playing, but i know my theory and scales and i can outshred all of them.

practice smart, not hard.
The key to practising is to PRACTISE. Don't sit there and jam out on the pentatoninc scale for 20 minutes and say, "Good day." Or don't just sit there and learn a song. There's no point to learning a song that doesn't improve a skill. Learning songs by your favourite bands don't help you. I don't much care if you don't play jazz or if you don't play progressive rock or if you don't play deathmetalhardgrindpunk...core, learn a song if it has the potential to help.

Really though, you should be concentrating on exercises, sightreading and theory. Go to your music shop and find a nice book that balances at least a couple of those things and work through it over the summer. Also, keep a practise log. To have a visual of what you've done and how long you've done it for is very valuable. It doesn't have to be anything fancy just something like: "Bass book #43, 44, 45, 46 45 minutes 110, 115, 120, 125, 130 bpm." Just to see what you have accomplished, or haven't accomplished, is very important.
Quote by iTzMaTT
Woooooooooo Cob.

Warned. Spam.

And Bales is correct about a practice log--its a great idea and can work if you keep at it. And as I've recommended to others--record yourself. Yes, it can be painful, but you'll track your progress and be able to hear areas you need to work on.
Also, when you practice, LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Watching TV whilst letting your hands go autopilot is not practice. I know there may be Baywatch repeats, and Yasmine Bleeth is gorgeous and all, but she's not gonna help your bass playing. By understanding what ou are doing, you can understand how something is working, or how something isn't working.
i once new a decent bassist who got his first girlfriend....she stole his soul and he stopped playing. BUT! when your bored at home and watching TV, play guitar instead and maybe start making some music of your own
Thanks everyone :] Theres a lot i can work on - and i like the idea of recording myself no matter how mic-shatteringly bad it is. Ill work that in with that practice log and book.

now to go find a quality book and notebook.

you guys rock. :]
- ChrisBob
PM me if you want book recommendations--I have a tonne of bass books in several different genres, lol.
Will do!

I'll go back in tonight and wipe out a few random posts and get it up in the FAQ. Its pretty damn long...
practicing has to include three basic elements: style, patterns, and pushing personal limits.
Style= become really good at just dropping a good jazzy bassline, ex. learn to walk
Pattern= learn a few good patterns for every song you learn, and repeat yourself in unusual ways to find the best place to put those few notes that take a bassline from ok to epic, and remember those patterns.
Pushing Limits= you can do anything, as long as you have the drive and the finesse. why let the strictures of jazz limit you? incorporate a little something into everything to make sure people know it's you who knows it all. Why let your own lack of rythym limit you? practice with a metronome.

I used those ideas in my practicing and got to a point where I wasn't embarassing myself every church morning. never start playing at church until you learn the keys properly...
Quote by Trynstopme
Ho's before bro's eh?

that reminded me of this, enjoy! (no political comments please)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Trynstopme
So, this year, i joined my schools Jazz Band (i got talked into it)
No. i dont play Jazz. neither does anyone else i know in it.

I walked in that day thinking i was pretty decently skilled...but as soon as some other kids plugged into the amp and started jamming during our free days, i immediately felt my face go red.

These guys are insanely good. like, one guitarist started ripping out Children of Bodom randomly. And a bassist has a ****load of Primus that he knows. And i can go on and on. And after i got to know them, out of the 4 guys, all of them have been playing in a much shorter time frame then me. and we all practice about the same amount.

My conclusion is my practicing technique sucks and i need to improve it.
I didnt think so as much before till yearbooks came out last week and one of them signed it "DUDE, weve gotta jam over the summer. When you get back to school, you WILL have learned how to shred that bass and put me and --- in our places!!"
But lately, i havent had as much time to practice ever since i got my new (and first haha. go and laugh) girlfriend. So ive been spending a lot of time with her. (Ho's before bro's eh? )

So, can anyone give me some kind of breakdown on how they practice?
Or just some songs that have decent bass that you can learn to get your skill up?
I realize i cant just be like...."I CAN PRACTICE FOR 12 HOURS TODAY AND GET GOOD!" but ive got a whole summer ahead of me that i can stay up late in. haha.

TIA for any help.

The jazz band doesn't play jazz?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
in my humble opinion, two of the most important things for practicing are a metronome and a notebook. You MUST keep track of what you are doing. you wont remember the speed of your pentatonic in 4ths or your phrygian in 3rds. So write it down. It's also a good boost as you can visually see yourself improving on paper. The metronome should need no explanation.

Plan your practice - dont just sit and play "stuff". Know what you are going to practice before you pick your bass up.

Unless you are a complete recluse with autism, life will get in the way of your bass playing and practice times, so dont stress too much. Just try to play a bit every day and as much as you can, when you can.

And lastly, remember there is no rush so enjoy it !
sounds like me a littlebit ...... being a PC nerd is taking away alot of time i used to spend practiceing. the main thing that made me slow down tho is not haveing a band anymore. nothing makes you better than playing with other people. i cant seem to entertain myself on bass anymore i have to jam to have fun ..
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
The fact you have other people to play with will give you the incentive to learn and become better. For example, 5 weeks ago I was asked to join a band (this is all very true btw) and when i first went to practice I felt really out of place and well.. crap. But this made me practice everything I could and learn the 7 songs they had written before I joined the band. Within 2 weeks I had doubled in confidence and ability, I just found it to be an amazing influence. Hell In the last 5 weeks i've learnt how to tap and some basic slapping. I've been playing on/off a year and never had the drive to actually learn this. Now I can play a lot of intermediate stuff and if I find something too difficult to play fast enough and I realise I can tap it I will just because I know how. Its amazed me what i've done in this short time.

So basically to stop me going on. Just practice for an hour or so a day and try stuff you wouldnt usually do, like start with a couple of exercises to get your fingers supple and then play a few of the songs you know then start learning something new (this can be songs/techniques/etc and once you've spent a while doing that play some stuff you know and do some exercises to wind down.. Takes about a hour and a half (if that) and its my usual routine for bass playing.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206