Page 1 of 2
Can you guys like set me up a guide or something?
I am starting on electric, while I my guitar is ****, I want to be OK before I drop $250-$500 on something nicer.
How long will it take to get decent if I can commit an hour or 2 everyday.

Thank you SO much....I one day hope to be a great guitar players like a lot of you guys.
start on acoustic
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
i started on electric about 5 years back. never played acoustic.

buy those cheap books that tell you to play "ode to joy" and crap. then work your way into pentatonic stuff so that you can feel like you don't suck...until pentatonic gets boring and you start learning music theory.
I just learn simple songs by new bands with no skill like Green Day, Sum 41, Simple Plan...There stuff is good for beginners
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Yeah, or play on a clean channel on your amp, so don't just up the distortion.
I taught my self how to play and it took me about a year to get decent. Watch a lot of youtube videos about power chords, pulm muting, picking, etc. Also look at a lot of tabs cause songs are easier to play then they seem.
Start on punk. I suggest the ramones or the misfits. Just learn songs for a while and when your technique begins to improve invest in rock discipline by John Petrucci. Greatest book for guitar ever.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

check out www.justinguitar.com
he's got tons of lessons and videos on them
great teacher :P

go to the left column and check out the Basics and Beginner's Course
those will get you started on the right foot
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by NightmareRec0n
I've been using Justinguitar.com.....But the site really falls apart after chords.

you obviously havent checked out the Technique section...

so much more other stuff too
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Quote by NightmareRec0n
Can you guys like set me up a guide or something?
I am starting on electric, while I my guitar is ****, I want to be OK before I drop $250-$500 on something nicer.
How long will it take to get decent if I can commit an hour or 2 everyday.

Thank you SO much....I one day hope to be a great guitar players like a lot of you guys.

Aww shucks.

When I started playing, I started on easy punk rock songs. Stuff like Ramones, Dead Kennedys, and the Misfits. That's probably the funnest way to get better at guitar.
Another question.....

Must you know all chords(there are 100s) or are they a learn on use thing?
I mean electric doesn't use that many chords really....
Quote by NightmareRec0n
Another question.....

Must you know all chords(there are 100s) or are they a learn on use thing?
I mean electric doesn't use that many chords really....

Its a good thing to know.

And I dont know who the hell told you that, but that is VERY wrong. You can use any chords you want on either the acoustic or the electric.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Learn all the notes on the fretboard, or at least the 6th and 5th string, learn power chord formations, basic scales, etc.
then learn songs you like to make it interesting, then progress from there. =]
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
make sure you know what you want right from the start. if you just wanna play guitar to impress girls learn some songs, if you wanna learn guitar for your own benifit, practice every technique you can find, dont just practice one thing practice a bunch of things every day. if you are very commited it comes to you faster than you thing. and dont start on acoustic its harder to play them, and after your ready to buy a electric you wont have to drop money on one if you already have one. and from my own experience it took me about 5 months to get "O.K." have fun
Quote by wretchedspawn
make sure you know what you want right from the start. if you just wanna play guitar to impress girls learn some songs, if you wanna learn guitar for your own benifit, practice every technique you can find, dont just practice one thing practice a bunch of things every day. if you are very commited it comes to you faster than you thing. and dont start on acoustic its harder to play them, and after your ready to buy a electric you wont have to drop money on one if you already have one. and from my own experience it took me about 5 months to get "O.K." have fun

First of all, dont listen to this guy. Its a VERY good thing to start on acoustic, it builds finger strength and makes playing the electric a breeze. DONT just learn the guitar to impress girls, that comes with time, and the more skill you have, the easier it is. So, would you rather JUST be able to impress girls with cheesy cover songs, or would you rather be able to not only write your own stuff, but be able to play incredible pieces to impress EVERYONE? Think about it.

Oh, and I cant believe no one's said it yet, but learn your theory.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
First of all, dont listen to this guy. Its a VERY good thing to start on acoustic, it builds finger strength and makes playing the electric a breeze. DONT just learn the guitar to impress girls, that comes with time, and the more skill you have, the easier it is.

Second of all, take this guy's recommendation with a grain of salt. It's true what he says about acoustic's building finger strength, but if you're a guy on a budget and all you want to play is the blues, why take the detour for a fancy hand grip? Buy a guitar that makes you want to play is the best advice I can give. That said most serious guitarists have both an electric and acoustic (myself included).
Last edited by rhettro at Jun 5, 2008,
DO NOT start out on stupid "Ode to Joy" and crap books, it will provide no inspiration whatsoever.

My advice would be to learn acoustic songs with all chords first.
Get your basic chords down (G, D, C, etc.) then maybe learn powerchords, go on from there.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
^ Agreed.

I however did start on electric and yes i do believe its harder now to play acoustic, but to be honest, all i learnt was how to read TAB and how it relates to real music. Once i learnt that, i just played what i wanted to build speed, finger strength, accuracy etc. Then it was up to me where i wanted to go, and i chose to try theory...Why-oh-why did i choose to learn ****ing theory...
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
i second the theory even though im procrastinating about learning it, its a good thing to know, even knowing basic theory will help you out a lot
Quote by NightmareRec0n
What are some real EASY songs?
Not bands...

All I know is that around the one month mark I had a great time teaching myself my first song "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold.

But if you're just starting out Tangerine by Led Zeppelin, Heart Full of Soul by the Yardbirds, and Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana are all smart choices for first songs or solos.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
As I said, while starting on acostic may be better....I have an electric.... I am not getting any more guitars until I get decent.
im a beginning guitarist as well, although i've played bass so i know some basics

my general map seems be to learning chords and powerchords while doing some picking stuff in between, and playing songs and other stuff i enjoy to stay inspired and motivated

but that'll probably change tomorrow haha.
play what you like bro, play what is fun for you and you'll grow
Epiphone G400
Ibanez GSR200
Peavey Mark III

Quote by NightmareRec0n
As I said, while starting on acostic may be better....I have an electric.... I am not getting any more guitars until I get decent.

I would second this. I started on acoustic and has helped loads and was kind of easy transitioning from acoustic to electric.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
it probably is easier but he said he doesnt want to spend any more money until he can play well
Epiphone G400
Ibanez GSR200
Peavey Mark III

acoustic is better in the long run
-like above said, brings finger strength and will make playing electric a lot easier in the future

BUT
electric is easier to start out with
-more versatile, thinner necks, easier to play, etc
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Quote by Carnae839
it probably is easier but he said he doesnt want to spend any more money until he can play well

Bingo
Here is what i am working on

Open Chords(not hard, just needs to be drilled)
7th Chords
Blues Scales( In A minor and E minor)
Minor Pentatonic
finger drills

I have a few questions....I don't understand the the scales... Why are blues scales blues scales? Why are they in A and E minor?

What is the Minor Pentatonic and how is it played?

I understand chords because....they are chords, easy enough considering they exist on all instruments.
i'm a noob and don't know much, so i may be completely wrong
but i believe chords are parts of scales played at once
so if you understand scales you understand chords

I think.

and you practice stuff seems good, but don't forget songs. all drill can get tiring and you stop having fun, so be sure to learn a new song or something
Epiphone G400
Ibanez GSR200
Peavey Mark III

learn older stuff like simple man and stairway, learn ur chords, and just mess around. I guarentee that if u just sit there and experiment with diff chords and notes ull be able to make some pretty cool stuff
Dude, i'm in the same boat as you are. I got a Squier for Christmas. My friend also got one, and he started getting guitar lessons and taught me some songs he'd learned from that.

I'm no expert, but songs that came easily to me that are fun to play and sound good would include (Only through to the chord before the darkness parts) One, Nothing Else Matters, ...And Justice for All, and (rhythm) Fade To Black - Metallica, In Bloom - Nirvana, (Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult (Takes a while - it's a fast tempo [for me at least]), (rhythm) Gimme Shelter and (lead or rhythm) Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones, Ironman (I think every guitarist has played this at one point) - Black Sabbath, (THE INTRO of) Green Grass & High Tides - The Outlaws, Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi, Exo-Politics and Supermassive Black Hole - Muse, (rhythm) Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne, and Welcome Home - Coheed & Cambria.

I know nothing of theory and pretty much learn chords as I go. Probably not the best self-teaching method, but it sure is fun.
For my self-teaching method (I've been playing for about 6 months) I just learned the chords to songs I liked, keeping myself entertained, while I touched on the basics of theory. I'm too lazy to start scales :l
I learned to play using the guide at about.com: http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

The justinguitar.com site seems good too but I haven't used it much, the use of videos and sound files is nice though from what I've used.

Basically to start you need to learn the easy open major/minor chords: A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em.

Then try working on the F chord, followed by full barre chords (adding B and Bmin to your repetoire).

At the same time you can either do scales or look up some easy riffs to practice picking/fingering specific stuff rather than just strumming chords all day long. For easy pick/riffs to do I recommend:

- Paint it Black (rolling stones)
- No Rain (blind melon)
- What I got (sublime)
- Californication (RHCP)

Alternatively just do scales, they help you get familiar with the fretboard and moving different fingers around.

Really once you've got that down the next step is pretty much finding songs that you want to play and practicing them. That's as far as I'm at anyways. I know down the road theory, scales, etc will matter too.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
What I did:
First, I learned the basic open chords: A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em and G. They make a lot of songs available. I messed around with them for a few weeks. I learned them from a book we happened to have at home, but you can find them just as easily on the internet.

Then I played songs with those chords for a few weeks. I would get frustrated, because after a while it seemed like every song I wanted to play would have a barré chord in them, so I learned barré chords. People seem to make a lot of fuss about barré chords, but I never found them very hard to learn., exept for the A-shaped ones which are a pain in the ass.

Since I could now play every chord I wanted, I messed around with chord charts to songs I liked for another few weeks. Then I got bored with just playing chords because after a while it all sounds the same, so I moved on to riffs. I practiced (sp?) my alternate picking and hammer-ons/pull offs (just by doing alternate picking and hammer-ons/pull offs for 15 minutes a day), and they soon improved a lot. I started playing solo's and it made me really awesome. No lie.

Then I got interested in improvising, so I started to learn scales etc.

What I want to say with this is, start with playing chords and after that just play whatever the hell you want. If you want to improve your technique, go check out some technique lessons and practice. If you want to learn theory, go check out some theory lessons. If you want to play metal, go play metal. If you just want to play a pentatonic scale up and down for the entire day, go do so.

Also, some links that really helped me:

A great thread for if you ever wonder what song to play next.
Similar thread but for solos.
A guitar lesson (part one) (part two) by John Frusciante of RHCP. You can skip the first ~4,5 minutes, where he's just playing Under The Bridge, but it's too fast to follow. After that he starts talking about different styles of guitar playing, about layers in music and about how solos work. It really inspired me, and got me into improvising and into using my thumb.
Justin Guitar, the famous internet guitar teacher. He's awesome.
And of course:
Ultimate Guitar, the Lesson Page. There's a lesson on everything you can think of, and more. They're not all perfect, but an imperfect lesson is better than no lesson.

I would also really recommend downloading Guitar Pro software. I can't link to it, because it would be considered advertising, but you can easily torrent it, and if you really can't find it I could send you a rapidshare link over PM.

Good luck.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Carnae839
i'm a noob and don't know much, so i may be completely wrong
but i believe chords are parts of scales played at once
so if you understand scales you understand chords

I think.

and you practice stuff seems good, but don't forget songs. all drill can get tiring and you stop having fun, so be sure to learn a new song or something

A chord( normally) is a 3 notes consisting of a root, and 3rd and 5th.
I've been playing for just under 4 months. I don't know any ****ing scales, I just know what sounds good. I believe scales are a complete waste of time and energy. I know only the basic A-G chords, and I can still embarass ppl that have been playing for years. My advice is to learn as many songs as possible. I can't read sheet music (obviously) I just use tabs. Learn a lot of solos, and songs with different beats to them. I know how to play over 250 songs all the way through with hardly any mistakes. Also I don't use a ****ing metranome, u pussies. Lmmfgdmfao!
Quote by forsakenpromise
I've been playing for just under 4 months. I don't know any ****ing scales, I just know what sounds good. I believe scales are a complete waste of time and energy. I know only the basic A-G chords, and I can still embarass ppl that have been playing for years. My advice is to learn as many songs as possible. I can't read sheet music (obviously) I just use tabs. Learn a lot of solos, and songs with different beats to them. I know how to play over 250 songs all the way through with hardly any mistakes. Also I don't use a ****ing metranome, u pussies. Lmmfgdmfao!

Someone forgot to take their ritalin today...

And although scales are boring, they (probably) help in the long run.
Page 1 of 2