ok ive been playing around with my amp for a long time now and i cant figure out what to do. idk if somethings wrong with the amp or if im just retarded at amps.

i have a marshall avt150 valvestate. i believe its a hybrid.
i cant turn the gain up very much at all without it being ultra sensitive about string"scratching". you know, that scratch noise that happens when you move your hands on the strings. there is also a noticable(not too loud, but noticable, hum of the speaker and when i turn the volume down on the guiar it goes away. i think this is normal tho im not sure i dont use my amp very often, or amps in general very often because my parents like the quiet. i guess im a bit of an amp n00b and some of this is probably one of the most basic things with amps but im inexperienced with them.

its soo sensitive to this i can hear the pick very clearly scraping the string as i pluck it. i dont even have active pickups. im using my sg. i have those fender medium picks that are all swirly if you know what im talking about.

number 2 the overdrive quality just doesnt sound very good. ive gone to the settings recomendation thread and tried a few. im playing metal so i tried the bodom settings etc. random power metal settings because i play more melodic stuff. i just can seem to get very good tone at all. i hear my friends amp on overdrive it sounds way better than mine has great tone. i think its a fender amp.(isnt marshall supposed to be like one of the highest quality amps?)

the last thing would be that when doing a higher note, specifically on on of the top three strings and holding it, its not very clear and steady. theres a little, idk crackling(it doesnt crackle but thats the closest thing i can describe it to) kind of like when your voice cracks, but it doesnt change pitch or anything. why would this happen? also when i bend some higher notes a full bend or more the note starts to get kind of fuzzy as if there were a small(but sure as hell noticeable and definitely unwanted and ruins the bend) amount of a fuzz box effect mixed in.

if anyone who knows alot about amps can help me that would be greatly appreciated.

i can get a recording up if anyones interested so you know exactly what im talking about, but i dont really have professional recording gear. the best i can do is audacity with either a computer mic or usb mic like the one from rock band. they should give good enough quality for what is needed to be heard though.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
use coated strings, i'm not surprised you dont like ur Od, and the last bit sounds like you can do to raise ur strings a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
why use coated strings? and why didnt you think i like my od?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
well part of it is that the amp you are using isn't very good, (Marshall does make good amps butthe AVT isn't one of them) also what kind of pups are in your guitar, are they the stock ones or did you by any chance put something hotter in there? also try lowering your pups a bit and raising the action.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you dont like pick scrape noise. sorry if i mised something i have a headache and i skimmed ur long post.
coated strings wont scrape.

i had an mg, and fought with the tone for like a year before i got fed up with it.

and if your notes are choking dead, it's probably a low string and / or a high fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565

and if your notes are choking dead, it's probably a low string and / or a high fret.

or too much neck relief, especially since it's happening at the higher frets.

Last.fm
It all sounds normal to me. When you turn the gain up all the way, you're boosting even the lowest sounds that you don't hear when gain is lower. It compresses your dynamic range.

The hum that goes away when you turn the guitar's volume down is noise from the pickups that you also wouldn't normally hear so much with lower gain. Imagine if you had single-coils - hum city!!!
yea i kind of figured it wasnt that good after i did some more reading. im gonna go up to guitar center and check out some other ones if i cant get this one how i want. maybe see how much theyll give me for it.

they are the stock pick ups. i really dont want to mess with the action if i dont absolutely have to. ill mess with the pickups tho, but idk what im doing lol. the birdge is raised very high and the other not very high at all. i havent messed with anything on the guitar accept the action. are my pick ups supposed to be like that?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
I think a good portion of the problems you listed there were with the guitar rather than the amp dude.

The OD on those amps is pretty crappy though.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
or too much neck relief, especially since it's happening at the higher frets.

or not enough relief, or bad strings, or poor fretting technique...

Kid i have a headache, dont mess wt me
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by carpepax
It all sounds normal to me. When you turn the gain up all the way, you're boosting even the lowest sounds that you don't hear when gain is lower. It compresses your dynamic range.

The hum that goes away when you turn the guitar's volume down is noise from the pickups that you also wouldn't normally hear so much with lower gain. Imagine if you had single-coils - hum city!!!

i can have the gain on like 4 or 5 and i know its wayy too much extra noise.

well im going to check my neck relief. ^^are my pickups supposed to be at such different heights as ive mentioned?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
if you like more bite from a pickup you can raise it. less volume you lower it, muddy if it's too high.

usually, you want them around the same height so there isnt a volume boost with switch over.

fret the first fret low E at the same time fret the Low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

look at the middle frets, 7-9th, see if the string is laying on the fretwire there, (not enough bend)

or if it's more than a credit card thickness up from the wire there, (too much bend)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
or not enough relief, or bad strings, or poor fretting technique...

Kid i have a headache, dont mess wt me

im going to put on a thinner gauge pretty soon just to try it out then im gonna try some coated ones. and i definitely dont think my fretting technique is bad but if you guys want a recording to be the judges i can get one up tomorrow probably.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
i dont think i need a recording, but note that if your neck is already a little back bowed or close to it, then lighter strings will allow the neck to relax even more.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah I think really you should take the guitar to get a set up, especially if you plan on putting lighter strings on.

Last.fm
Quote by jj1565
i dont think i need a recording, but note that if your neck is already a little back bowed or close to it, then lighter strings will allow the neck to relax even more.

well the neck relief(idk if this is good or not but) i think is ok. theres about a half a milimeter of spacwe inbetween the neck and string. its not touching, but i can put a credit card in between the neck and string and it will stay there
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
sounds like ur neck is pretty close, lighter strings will definately change how that neck sits.

did you say ur action felt high now?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
sounds like ur neck is pretty close, lighter strings will definately change how that neck sits.

did you say ur action felt high now?

no its definitely not high. if i hold the neck so that its flat even with my eye the strings have about a half to 3/4 of a millimeter clearance of the fret bars. sorry if im not explaining very good idk technical terms or anything
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
check to see if any of the frets are sticking up to high, and also check to see if the neck has come slightly loose from its socket and is tilting back too much.

barring that, take your guitar to a tech.

Last.fm
nah, you're fine, it's me.

anyway, your neck seems ok, you like ur action, so just note that a string gauge change will move things around a bit.

if you swap one string at a time, you'll find less shifting, but you still might need to adjust, to get rid of buzz or to get your action back to where you like it.

edit: and check frets, like said. maybe the strings are old. that would be an easy fix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62