Page 1 of 4
Alright so we face an election here in America.

My question is, does universal health care work?
Are there any pros and cons to it?

I know that most countries outside the U.S. have some sort of universal health care system and we have the choice between Obama who proposes a health care system similar to it. Or Mccain who thinks it should be private companies that we buy it from.

If anyone could just let us Americans know if it really works that would be great.
Works great for me, I get sick and go to the hospital or clinic, get looked after and I'am on my way free of charge to live my happy life.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
It does and doesn't. It provides equal rights to treatment for all people, but if it is inadequate in funding/staffing etc then you're ****ed (like MRSA superbug ****ed). Also the waiting lists for operations and the like are killer, and GPs are ridiculously overworked.
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
umm. well i have another kind of insurance. and actually i didn't know of that.

i live in mexico.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Chobes
"Free" health care eh? Non-Americans must love to pay taxes.

Haha How much is that war costing you guys again??

I think we have some money to spare, thanks.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Chobes

I'd rather pay taxes all my life than end up on my deathbed unable to afford to save myself.
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
Quote by Chobes

ya seriously, im in new york and im already getting ****ing raped by taxes, i can't imagine what it would be like with a healthcare system run like that.
Quote by Jericho114

Exactly, paying for a war and health care to every hick and thug in the USA is too much. I'll only pay for one.

I'll have enough money to save myself in the future, funny thing about working hard and getting private insurance.
Last edited by Chobes at Jun 4, 2008,
free health care for the win! morphen too lol
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I've never had any problems with it.

It ensures that nobody dies of a treatable illness or condition just because they're scared to be in debt to a hospital.
usually, it's an extra $50 a month around here. that's not really a whole lot of money.
Quote by Centurion
I'd rather pay taxes all my life than end up on my deathbed unable to afford to save myself.
Bang on.
Apparently the U.S. is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care system. The government directly covers a little over one-quarter of the population.

Current estimates put U.S. health care spending at approximately 15% of GDP, the highest in the world.

Interesting
well have a think about it yourself.

personally i think its an excellent f u c k i n g idea.
If it's run by the state, it somewhat reduces the risk of being a greedy corporation bent on world domination like the US private insurance companies are: profit based.

See, the French healthcare system works fine, but is billions in debt.

You have the choice of being exploited, or paying a little more taxes and yet knowing it's better spent.

It's a simplified view, but it's somewhat true.

I've always had a healthcare taken in charge by the state. Hell I'm in the UK, pay no taxes and yet receive free care. For us Euros, it's normal to take care of each other. We don't see it as stealing or using someone else's money. It's just a reassuring fact. Imagin you have something like diabetes and can't afford the medication? Or something very silly but treatable? What do you do then? In most European countries you'd have no problems, but in the US, if you ain't got money, you're screwed.

And in a lot of cases, if you do have money, you're screwed too.
Quote by Jericho114

Man this war is killing us.

It costs us 20 billion a month!!!

That puts our debt at about 4 trillion dollars!
We're gonna be paying china back for hundreds of years.

The only way to pay it off is more taxes really.

Damn war
Having health insurance is one thing. But when you become sick and you find out that for whatever peculiar and out of the blue reason, your policy doesn't cover you anymore, then you're fucked.

Quote by xiktpqx

Nice.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
hahah i misunderstood. you mean the goverment pays you the hospital and medicine?

well it's pretty crappy because you have to wait a ****ing long line to get attended, fortunately to me my insurance is from my dad's work (hsbc)
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Derigiberble
Having health insurance is one thing. But when you become sick and you find out that for whatever peculiar and out of the blue reason, your policy doesn't cover you anymore, then you're fucked.

Nice.

lol your reaction made me giggle.
believe me you guys have it good i have to spend 1 pound 30 which is about 2 dollars 50 for a litre of petrol AKA 'Gas'

BTW if you Yanks call petrol 'gas'. what do you call gas ie the stuff that powers your cooker or heating?
Quote by tuwyci
believe me you guys have it good i have to spend 1 pound 30 which is about 2 dollars 50 for a litre of petrol AKA 'Gas'

BTW if you Yanks call petrol 'gas'. what do you call gas ie the stuff that powers your cooker or heating?
"propane"
Quote by Pott
If it's run by the state, it somewhat reduces the risk of being a greedy corporation bent on world domination like the US private insurance companies are: profit based.

I've always had a healthcare taken in charge by the state. Hell I'm in the UK, pay no taxes and yet receive free care. For us Euros, it's normal to take care of each other. We don't see it as stealing or using someone else's money. It's just a reassuring fact. \

Yeah the only reason people in government are for free market stuff is because those companies are giving them tons of money. Theres so much corruption its obvious.

Yeah here in America people think everyone has equal opportunities to make money if they just get off their butts. But there really isnt. There is a huge gap between rich kids schools and inner city schools. And there really is no equality. So its impossible for poor people to become rich, but rich people dont care. They dont want to be threatened by the poor coming up so they dont help.
Quote by Chobes
Exactly, paying for a war and health care to every hick and thug in the USA is too much. I'll only pay for one.

I'll have enough money to save myself in the future, funny thing about working hard and getting private insurance.

Actually, we can't even pay for the war anymore, We give out big loans to China all the time, we are indebted to them so much, that if they wanted to they could demand all their money and completely bankrupt the American government/banks. It would put our dollar at 0 value and our economy would be reduced to ****. Just think about that guise.

I am still kind of skeptical on the whole healthcare thing, I think if we legalize and tax weed and use that to fund healthcare, it would work. That is just my idea though.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by tuwyci

Heating and cooking gas...
Quote by Chobes
And if you suffer a long term illness and your insurance company drops you and no others will touch you because of your history?
Yeah if we let the companies decide insurance policies then no one will get approved and we'll have nothing to turn to cuz we'll be paying for their services but they'll just be collecting money.

The U.S. is the only country except Singapore without public health care.
We are obviously doing something wrong if other countries are thriving and we are sitting here with thousands of people dying from easily curable illnesses.
Well im not in the U.S right now. i got really sick and took care of me really good.
Quote by xiktpqx
all you americans are stupid obese mc donalds eating dumb c u n t s, and i hope all you selfish pigs f u c k i n g die.!

you have no sense of solidarity.

you have no sense of helping out other people.

instead you just wine on about your problems you f u c k i n g morons!

PLEASE F U C K I N G DIE YOU FU CK ED UP CU NT S

You're probably just jealous because your town has a burger kind instead.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
This is why I want to move back here to my hometown and become a history teacher. Middle-class pay, alongside medical and dental coverage.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by xiktpqx
all you americans are stupid obese mc donalds eating dumb c u n t s, and i hope all you selfish pigs f u c k i n g die.!

I'm all for helping out the needy in other countries once the needy in my own country are helped out first.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
This could help the health situation in America...

I heard in New York City a pack of cigs costs 10 bucks!
That will get people to quit smoking, or not start.
Then there wont be as much cost in the health system for people who dont smoke, cuz less people will have to go to get lung cancers and so much more taken care of!
i live in the U.S., so i guess i don't really have a say in this, but i think it'd blow to have government healthcare.
Quote by xiktpqx

anoboyd smell that? smells like somebody got banned
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I support universal healthcare since humans are a type of animal that doesn't have the free will to make their own decisions such as buying their own healthcare. Oh wait...
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by KFKing
I support universal healthcare since humans are a type of animal that doesn't have the free will to make their own decisions such as buying their own healthcare. Oh wait...

Ya, and when you get hurt you can just run down to the magic healing pond and get all better, or you can go down to the money tree, pick yourself some money and pay for that inexplicably extremely expensive surgery. Oh wait...
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by dingmydong
Ya, and when you get hurt you can just run down to the magic healing pond and get all better, or you can go down to the money tree, pick yourself some money and pay for that inexplicably extremely expensive surgery. Oh wait...

Yes, because we all know that unlike private health insurance, government provided health insurance does not require people to pay for it. Oh wait...
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Page 1 of 4