I've had my Gibson studio (a cheaper studio model as far as Gibsons go) for about 7 months now, and from the beginning I've had a problem with the tuning - specifically the the g-string. It pops out of tune all the time, and it pops pretty harshly out of tune as well. Sounds terrible.

At first I blamed it on the strings it came with. After all, it's a Gibson; it's not suppose to do that. Anyhoo, I just changed the strings for the first time (yes, long overdue) and it still does it.

Any idea as to what it might be? When the string pops out of tune, and I tighten it up to retune it, I can hear a faint popping sound in the string as it tightens.

I know that it's hard to diagnose such a problem based only on the description, but any ideas would be nice.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
My Sg special does that also if i dont strech the strings if their new.

Just take the string and pull it up away from the body about 20X for each string, or tune it up to pitch and bend it as far as you can about 20x then retune.
only things i can think are maybe you strung it wrong, or your strings are to thin. I recently changed to 13-56 gauge strings and my guitar never go's out of tune. I dont know if its cause the strings but thats my best guess
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
the popping makes me think the wheel in the tuning peg is loose.
"A love pirate ? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that ?"
new tuning pegs? no way.

its binding in the nut.. have the nut fixed. common problem
I'd say that the string is catching on the nut, so when it "pops" out of tune, what's happening is that the string is coming off the nut and going out of tune. either replace the nut, or put some graphite on it so the string will move easier

Edit: sorry that was a little confusing, I meant that the string is catching on the nut while you are tuning
Lube up the nut where the G string goes *rubs trousers, the way your grandad used to*

You can do this with oil or whatever I guess but I can't say I've ever tried that, what most people do is get a really sharp pencil and just scrape the graphite into the nut so that you can see loads of graphite is in there. Then your string should not be subject to so much friction and not "pop" out of tune so much.

If this makes absolutely no difference, which I'm confident it will, have you tried making sure all your strings are tight enough? To do this pull the string away from the body, or bend it loads, and then tune that string again. Keep doing that till it stays in tune after you pull it away.
I have the same guitar, but I don't seem to have that problem. I guess as a few other people already mentioned just stretch the strings...
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by aedmiston
heres your solution- buy a fender

Hahaha. Actually, as much as I LOVE Fenders and prefer the company itself to Gibson, in my experience Fenders have been much worse with this problem since they have string trees, tremolos, no angle in the headstock and so on. I'm just saying what I think problems have been on Fenders I've played in the past though, I can't be bothered with starting a huge argument, k.

Still, you can easily sort out these problems, as I'm sure TS will be able to.
Get a set-up, the nut is cut wrong.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I would ditch the old nut and put a graphite nut in, same with the tuners get rid of the klusons and get some grovers.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would say...improper stringing technique. Might have too much slack/windings on the G String's tuning peg.

Try this:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

Then stick some graphite filings from a pencil in the slot.

This is the right answer. Listen to him.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by aedmiston
heres your solution- buy a fender

I learned on a Fender... my dad's tele. Cool guitar, but I wanted a thicker, warmer sound.

I'm fairly sure I know how to string a guitar. It's strung properly, and it's done this on 2 sets of strings, one of which were already on there when I got it. I don't think it's that.

It's a new guitar, so I don't think the tuning pegs are worn or anything.

I'll have a look at the nut. Thanks for your assistance.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
G can be a problem if you are using a plain/unwound string... an unwound G is approaching the upper limit of how large you can make the diameter of the string before the string becomes unstable in pitch.

Try using a wound string for G and see if that helps.
Common Problem. My mate installed a locking nut on his guitar which solved the problem, but seeing as Your a Gibson player, you probably dont wanna carve massive chunks outta your guitar. try gettin the tuning heads tightened.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
nine times out of ten the tuning problems occur at the nut. These days some of the new Gibson guitars are increasingly rolling out of the factory with nuts that aren't cut properly.
Best method is to add some graphite to the nut or if you're really getting anal about it, take it to a technician who will file the nut for you.
If that's not the problem, then check the tuning pegs or the bridge. I have my bridge on my Standard changed and it's doing me wonders.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would say...improper stringing technique. Might have too much slack/windings on the G String's tuning peg.

Try this:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

Then stick some graphite filings from a pencil in the slot.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to this guy. I know a thousand guitarists and 90% of them string a guitar incorrectlly yet dont realise they are doing so

peace

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
If it is making sort of a "ping" noise and then going far out of tune, it is more than likely the string is binding on the nut.