Ok, here's the deal, i am working on my first original song. I need advice on the solo's, in reguards to how they fit the overall structure of the song, as well as the execution and the mix. I have been playing about a year, and like a blues rock sound the most.

The first solo is short(up to the 20 second mark), and is designed to simulate the protagonist when he is young and brash and flashy, but true to his roots, which would be sixtys rock. The second solo(after the 20 second mark) is ment to represent him when he is older and more cultured and jaded, but expressing his hope and frustration with his own voice as oppose to using those of his influences.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gt4068/music/all/play320582

The song is called hero, the lyrics and structure are below.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Intro

Verse 1

Lights aren’t flashing
But the hero takes the stage
No mic will grace his hand
But he acts like a sage

He’s telling people tales
Of the times of old
And fun long forgotten
In the days that souls we’re sold

Pre-Chorus

He’ll still be fighting
To get his message told
He’ll still be singing
When is face is lined and old

Chorus

What is he fighting for
No one protests anymore
What will his future, have, instore?

Solo 1 Short:

Verse: 2

Notes of blues
Ring out from his guitar
Scales long forgotten
Will never make him a star

Hell be alone
Playing empty coffee shops
Long forgotten
But that’s no reason to stop

Pre Chorus 2:

He’s still fighting
To get his message told
He’s still singing
Though his face is lined and old

Chorus 2:

What is he fighting for
Who protests anymore
What does his future, have, instore?

Solo Long:

Verse 3:

He’ll lose the battle
To win the war
When they find
His records lost to time
I think I can see what you're talking about.

It all sounds very sad.

If you're trying to sound a little different by having the lead line in it's own world - kinda like it doesn't even care - then good job.

I may work on keeping with the rhythm a little more though. Tap your foot for some of the changes maybe, then kinda drift off-rhythm afterwards.

It would also be helpful - if you have the appropriate software, to split the rhythm and lead to the left or right some so they are more clearly defined in the 'soundscape'.
If I did it, this is how I did it.
ok, so lets stick with constructive criticism...

1) vibrato, i cannot stress enough how important vibrato is for guitar solos, especially on long notes... you seem to have alot of long notes, so throw vibrato in there every chance you get

2) solos are verses. I know every song writer is different, but especially for blues, you need to realize that each solo MUST sound like a verse, so try practicing mimicing the same notes as a singer until you can kinda get the hang of it... or do what I do and sing the song out first and than find a solo that kind of sounds the same as the verses

3) hammer ons and pull offs. it seems like every note you hit doesn't transition into the next. practice your hammer ons and pull offs until you can do them with you eyes closed, your guitar behind your back and you drunk off your face in front of a sellout crowd :P

all in all i thought you'll need to practise your soloing, it seems hard to describe for me, but solos are like stories, they should have a beginning, middle and end... it seems to me like you might be hitting notes randomly.

keep at it and you'll be better in no time

cheers,
WiKiD
Shure SM58 Mic -> Peavey Mixing Board -> M-Audio Fasttrack Pro -> Dell Laptop -> Cubase SX3