Hey fellas,

Im a huge fan of the Knopf-man and just noticed something while watching a Dire Straits live DVD...

Knopfler is all about trademark/ signature techniques and sounds, and among my favourites is his patented volume swell (for examples listen to pretty much any Dire Straits song, but i can recommend Telegraph Road or Brothers in Arms).

BUT....

I had always assumed that he was fiddling with the volume dial on his axe, but on the DVD it seems he was doing it with just his fingers.

He may have just been using a volumizer pedal, but that seems a little gimmicky and "cop out" for a guitarist of his stature.

Anyway, its a pretty neat trick and was wondering if anyone how he does it or if he is just using a pedal.
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
Could be a pedal. Or since he plays fingerstyle, he could just be picking harder or softer, like lots of bass players do to be more pronounced.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Id agree with MrFlibble, using his fingers he could easily add more volume with a stronger attack on the strings.
'62 reissue Mexican Fender Stratocaster.

Fender Blues Junior

Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Electro Harmonix NYC Big Muff
Ibanez TS9 tube screamer
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Electro Harmonix Micro P.O.G
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Hmmm i dunno.....i dont see how he could get the smooth increase in volume just by plucking the strings harder or softer. Im not sure you guys knew what i meant.....the increase in volume is for the duration of only a single note......i.e, the note starts off either quiet or totally silence and builds up in a crescendo.

9/10 times his volume swells seem to be on bended notes.....maybe that has something to do with it?
Last edited by Gilmour_Wylde at Jun 5, 2008,
There's a video on Youtube where he plays Layla with Clapton and there's a close-up on his guitar a few times when he does it. As far as I can tell he plucks the string normally, but no sound comes out, which tells me he's got a pedal, although I can't see any on the floor. Perhaps it's just small. Also, just before he plucks the string, his knee seems to drop a little, and then rise with the note.
Quote by Pikka Bird
There's a video on Youtube where he plays Layla with Clapton and there's a close-up on his guitar a few times when he does it. As far as I can tell he plucks the string normally, but no sound comes out, which tells me he's got a pedal, although I can't see any on the floor. Perhaps it's just small. Also, just before he plucks the string, his knee seems to drop a little, and then rise with the note.

Hmmm i guess its a pedal then, even though its a bit of an unsatisfying answer ya know?

Was sorta hoping there was some sick technique out there for me to learn
^Yeah, I know. But it's the only reasonable answer I can think of, even though there is no visible pedal on the stage.
So good guitarist aren't allowed to use pedals? yeah, he's probably using a volume pedal.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
So good guitarist aren't allowed to use pedals? .

No, if you look closely you'll see i didnt actually say that...
Last edited by Gilmour_Wylde at Jun 5, 2008,
you can do it with a volume pedal or just with the knob, not that hard especially with a strat beacause of the volume knobs location. with a touch of overdrive and some controlled vibrato you can get it just like a violin.

I think Bonamassa has a tutorial on youtube
yeah i do it all the time with the volume knob. i use slide too and you sound like a steel guitar player.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Oh no guys, you got me all wrong.....

i know how to do volume swells......with the dial or with a pedal.

Its just that i wanted to know if he was using some different technique.
It sounds like a pedal...but if there is no pedal and no volume knobs
to play with...my guess would be a Tweed Amplifier..Its not used
much these days with the younger crowd..but man..can it be a
powerful weapon...I went out when I was a noob and bought a
bass amp for my guitar once...It was very interesting with a strat..
but the tweed effects on it was a dream come true...I actually
got spoiled...

The volume on a tweed amp will rise and fall with your pick attack.
You dont have to pick hard enough for it to be visible either for the
dissonance to be heard..I love them for solos...out of this world...

tweed ..plus reverb..plus delay...can be awesome...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde
No, if you look closely you'll see i didnt actually say that...

I was just messing with you.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I don't know about Knopfler, but Jeff Beck and Joe Bonamassa use the volume knob on the guitar. It ain't easy, let me tell you.
Quote by imgooley
I don't know about Knopfler, but Jeff Beck and Joe Bonamassa use the volume knob on the guitar. It ain't easy, let me tell you.

They're not hard at all, I use them all the time, when I cover Master of Puppeets, I play all of the first solo using nothing but volume knob swells.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever

They're not hard at all, I use them all the time, when I cover Master of Puppeets, I play all of the first solo using nothing but volume knob swells.

To pull off well, and in the manner they do them, it ain't easy. Try to play the Blues Deluxe solo, and tell me how easy that is.
Quote by imgooley
To pull off well, and in the manner they do them, it ain't easy. Try to play the Blues Deluxe solo, and tell me how easy that is.

I'm pretty harsh on myself when it comes to my playing, and I feel that I do them very cleanly. Obviously doing it at faster speedswill be harder, but as far as just picking a chord and swelling it in, that's nnot hard, it's just a matter of feel on how fast to turn the knob, and for lead-ish stuff, it's also about keeping the other strings quiet.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Yeah, I know. But it's the only reasonable answer I can think of, even though there is no visible pedal on the stage.

yeah, there is no visible pedal on the stage.i didn' see it when i was on his concert...he played some songs while walking on the stage...like solo in sultans of swing..i dunno, maybe i'm wrong...
Saw him live in Manchester a few weeks ago, (Wearing tshirt atm :P) and he uses a volume pedal

I took a few pics of his rig cos i had VIP tickets, thanks to his god of a sound man my dad knows.

Gigging in an hour or so, so i cant upload the pics, but i iwll when i get back / tomorrow morning kay?

PC
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by PCSpeaker
and he uses a volume pedal PC

ok, if you say so.

Quote by PCSpeaker

I took a few pics of his rig cos i had VIP tickets
PC

me too
Kiss me once again
Don't you never never say that we're through
Cause I ain't never
Never
Never no no
Loved a girl the way that I
I love you
I think there's another way. Which I doubt he does. You pick so precisely and fast that it sounds like your just sustaining a note (you can't tell they are picking fast). SO you that and get progressively harder when picking.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
It's a volume pedal. I remember reading as much on an article about the song "Brothers in Arms". the fact he uses one, and makes such good use of it, is one of the reasons I want one so badly.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Knopfler has used an Earnie Ball volume pedal since the DS days.

One interesting thing about MK is he is left handed but plays right handed. Chet used to say that part of the reason for his great vibrato.