I'm writing an essay about Brave New World. Its pretty much finished, except for one sentence which has been bugging the crap out of me:

"Because John is raised according to the values of the savages, he is disturbed by a society whose principles contradict his."

It just seems really clunky. And I know you aren't supposed to start sentences with "because", but its the only way I could think of doing it. How would you guys change it?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Oh ****, this is SAT all over again.

John, who is raised by savages, is disturbed by a society whose principles contradict his.

Since he is raised according to the values of savages, John is disturbed by a society with contradicting principles.

I'm gonna say that second one is probably the better choice.
You're allowed to start as sentence with because, as long as it's not a fragment and you have the explanation after the comma.
Your sentence is fine.
I <3 Companion Cube
Being raised by savages caused John's values to be contradictory to that of society
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Best ending sentance ever

"screw you flanders"
-Homer Simpson
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
"Due to John being raised according to the values of the savages, he is disturbed by a society whose principles contradict his."