my ltd explorer cant handle extreme drop tunings that well. im getting a bigger amp so it might sound better but is there anything i can do to help the problem?
Use thicker strings.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
it doesnt take well to those either. it just makes everything muddier!
what amp are you using?
what strings/tuning specifically?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
What tuning are you using and what strings are you using? Granted it will still be kinda unpleasant given the small speaker in your amp, but try turning down the bass on your Dist pedal.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
im using drop c for the most part. i know its not that low but that just shows the extent of my problem. i have a squier 10 watt combo. i use DR 10-46.
For drop C i like D'Addario 11-52s. I do prefer my strings tighter than most people though. Enough tension for C and Drop C. Whe n i;m just in C, i use 12-52s. And the amp is not made more metal stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
It's basically a must that you go thicker with the strings for that tunings. 11s at least. If you're guitar has a 25.5" scale neck than you can get away with "Thin Top Heavy Bottom" type strings to keep the unwound strings thinner while still having thicker wounds to compensate for the looser tuning.

Also, don't forget that when you detune you have to set the guitar up again - string gauge, intonation, maybe even action depending on how picky you are. All those details will play a factor in the overall performance of your guitar with different tunings.
i like my strings tight also. i use a line 6 uber metal for my distortion. not the amp.
so i change tunings alot. does that mean everytime i change ill need another set up?
change the amp.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
yea. thats gonna be a big help. but until then i just need something to keep everything cool.
use heavier gauge strings like 10-52 or 11-52. they're perfect for drop tunings. 10-46 would get a little sloppy with dropped tuning.
yea. i was doing that before and my not wouldnt hold the top string right. what can i do about that?
Well unfortunaly its kinda a hassle to go between tunings a lot when you only have one guitar. I have 3 that i keep in different tunings. For now, your biggest issue is the amp. Save up for something at least halfway decent. Roland Cube 30 maybe? If you have 11's you could switch between a few tunings, you would ust have to adjust the truss rod. But my advice, keep in in C, because C is the best sounding in my opinion!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Dimefan69
yea. i was doing that before and my not wouldnt hold the top string right. what can i do about that?

you can use a nut file to make the string space bigger or take it to a tech and let them do it. you're going to adjust your truss rod if you change your string gauge
yea. due to my young age multiple guitars are an issue. im gonna get a randall something. C is the best sounding though.
Ive been looking at those soom to be released randall ninja v2's myself..michael amott gets a killer tone out of those things. If you like C stuff learn soem arch enemy, mostly easy stuff, but awesome sounding. If your into that kinda music that is.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
thatmight have been the issue last time. i had 10-52's and it sounded really bad. so if i do that i need to get it adjusted?
Quote by Dimefan69
thatmight have been the issue last time. i had 10-52's and it sounded really bad. so if i do that i need to get it adjusted?

yes. heavier gauge strings have more tension and therefore, your truss rod should be adjusted for it.
its gonna be one of the cheaper models. im on a budget. and yea. i love that kind of music.
The way to go with one guitar that will have multiple tunings is get the guitar fully set up with moderate gauge strings (like Earnie Ball 'Skinny Top Heavy Bottom' slinkies) in the tuning you will be using the most. That string gauge won't cause problems with standard tuning. Plus, having a truss rod adjusted for a low tuning will make is so that if you tune to a higher setup (like standard) the strings will apply more neck tension and increase forward bow - which isn't as bad as backbow, which causes buzzing.
"use heavier gauge strings like 10-52 or 11-52. they're perfect for drop tunings. 10-46 would get a little sloppy with dropped tuning."

not at all. i use 10-46 on my axe. im in frop c constantly.
works well.
just get a good set-up, aand you'll be fine.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ