Just recently I upgraded from a Dean to a Fender MIM J-Bass. Its got amazing sound and sounds great when playing Funk and Jazz but I'm trying to get more of a punchy sound out of it because its a little thin.

Should I start with some half rounds?
I was also looking at EMG-JHZ's, has anyone else used them or would the actives be better?
I'm probably going to get the badass II bridge to replace the stock anyway, how much will that change how it sounds?
any brand in particular?

also for reference, I'm looking for a thick sound that still pops, kind of like Tim Ward of the Fall of Troy.

Punchy is a general term to me, so bear with me if I'm not describing things right.
Quote by Wcw1291
Just recently I upgraded from a Dean to a Fender MIM J-Bass. Its got amazing sound and sounds great when playing Funk and Jazz but I'm trying to get more of a punchy sound out of it because its a little thin.

Should I start with some half rounds?
I was also looking at EMG-JHZ's, has anyone else used them or would the actives be better?
I'm probably going to get the badass II bridge to replace the stock anyway, how much will that change how it sounds?

Apparently the BAII will make a HUGE difference for you. I don't know, but pretty much everyone says its important. Also, if the bass is sounding thin it may have to do with your amp. Change your EQ, or if your amp isn't good in the first place, change it.

For things you can do on the bass, put a little bridge pup emphasis, to reduce the low bass. New strings will also punch through more. A little cut around between 100 and 300HZ might help too.