Page 1 of 3
I was talking to my sister. We both attended a school called Westbury Christian School. I went for one year, and she went for five. She said that it was the 5 years that she went there that made her decide not to be Christian, but anyways...

We were talking about the education there, I only went for 6th grade, so I don't remember a whole lot.

I do remember them teaching about Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve, and it seemed like they took it literally. She took Biology there, and she said they never really ever taught them about evolution.

Even though I'm Christian, I wouldn't want my kids attending a Christian school, because there is just so much bias in those environments and I even remember teachers telling us why they think the islam religion isn't good and what they do that's evil (they said calling God "Allah" was very bad).

I was wondering, would you send your kids to a private school like this?

Also, I just remember how stupid some of the stuff they told us was. Let me quote from a speech a guest speaker did in Chapel time.

You see, the first Spider-Man movie was coming out that year, so we were all crazy about Spider-Man in 6th grade. Here's the speech as best as I can remember:

"Raise your hand if you like Spider-Man?"

*Kids raise their hands*

"Well, the way he became Spider-Man was by being bit by a radioactive spider. The spider injected his venom in to Peter Parker, and he then had some of the powers of a spider. Cool, huh?

"Well, what if Jesus just came up to you, and he just, like, spit on you. He just went up to you and spit on your arm, and you had, like, all this Jesus spit on you, and then suddenly you were like Jesus. Perfect. Wouldn't that be awesome?"

When I was a kid, I didn't think too much of this. Looking back, I can't believe how ridiculous this was, and and can't see why they put this in school.
I actually went to Catholic public schools for my entire pre-university education (actually, I think the University of Glasgow is Catholic too, but that doesn't really matter) and lost my "faith" somewhere along the way.
I intend to raise my kids to be Christian, but in a healthy and open-minded way. I probably wouldn't send them to a Christian school.
Who dat?
I've went to Eagles Landing Christian Academy since third grade, and I'm a senior now. I know somewhere along the line me and oll of my friends lost our faith because of it.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I went to a catholic school for three years, and I would not send my kid to one. I'm not a Christian any more either.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
No.
I would send them to a private school, since public education sucks in Argentina. But sucks really hard.

Never to a religious school. Brainwashing is a big nay for me .

But it quite depends on the school. I know a girl from a Christian School, and she's really cool.
They learn stuff connected to religion, but it's a side thing, and they don't get brainwashed.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jun 4, 2008,
today was my last day of catholic high school and for my final paper in english i actually wrote on this subject and all the students i talked to found that the catholic high school contradicted their teachings so many times that the students were worse christians because of it...and yes im one of the ones who lost my faith. like im still more christian than some people but im a terrible catholic. the school cant do sh*t for teaching christianity...i would send my kids to a public school and let them experience the righteousness for themselves.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Dude I have friends that go there if its in Houston
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by The Madcap
I was talking to my sister. We both attended a school called Westbury Christian School. I went for one year, and she went for five. She said that it was the 5 years that she went there that made her decide not to be Christian, but anyways...

We were talking about the education there, I only went for 6th grade, so I don't remember a whole lot.

I do remember them teaching about Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve, and it seemed like they took it literally. She took Biology there, and she said they never really ever taught them about evolution.

Even though I'm Christian, I wouldn't want my kids attending a Christian school, because there is just so much bias in those environments and I even remember teachers telling us why they think the islam religion isn't good and what they do that's evil (they said calling God "Allah" was very bad).

I was wondering, would you send your kids to a private school like this?

Also, I just remember how stupid some of the stuff they told us was. Let me quote from a speech a guest speaker did in Chapel time.

You see, the first Spider-Man movie was coming out that year, so we were all crazy about Spider-Man in 6th grade. Here's the speech as best as I can remember:

*Kids raise their hands*

"Well, the way he became Spider-Man was by being bit by a radioactive spider. The spider injected his venom in to Peter Parker, and he then had some of the powers of a spider. Cool, huh?

"Well, what if Jesus just came up to you, and he just, like, spit on you. He just went up to you and spit on your arm, and you had, like, all this Jesus spit on you, and then suddenly you were like Jesus. Perfect. Wouldn't that be awesome?"

When I was a kid, I didn't think too much of this. Looking back, I can't believe how ridiculous this was, and and can't see why they put this in school.

I actually find it more disturbing that Jesus was spitting on people.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Am I the only one who went to a Catholic school and was taught evolution? I went to a Catholic school for 14 years all elementary and high school and took all maths and sciences and never once did any of my teachers give any religious biases towards that sort of thing, Nor did they say crazy things like saying Allah is very bad. I guess it was luck and probably that most of the teachers wern't jesus freaks or something like that
i go to mcdonogh school, a private k-12 school in owings mills maryland and let me say this. we dominate in sports. haha #1 ranked nationally in girls soccer, top 25 in lacrosse, and we were state champions in lacrosse, soccer, and football(helllll yeahhhhh) but yeah. im sending my kids there, if i can fork over the twenty grand a year.
Well this isn't so much to do with religion but...

At the start of last year, I moved interstate from a public to private high school. I still hate it, but I'm determined to not let it affect me too much.

Anyway, I noticed that in private schools have a much smaller range of personalities. This new school just seems to be made up of jocks and nerds. There are no minorities, just jocks and nerds. Neither category fits me. No one likes music, there are no freaky artsy kids, just jocks and nerds.
Public schools just seem to have a more diverse range of people and groups (the good and the bad).
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Valetar
Am I the only one who went to a Catholic school and was taught evolution? I went to a Catholic school for 14 years all elementary and high school and took all maths and sciences and never once did any of my teachers give any religious biases towards that sort of thing, Nor did they say crazy things like saying Allah is very bad. I guess it was luck and probably that most of the teachers wern't jesus freaks or something like that
That seems a bit better. People have this bad idea that Catholicism is against evolution, when it's quite the contrary.
yeah..im totally a jock..but if you go to a good private school (like mine) they have realllly good arts programs and my school has a fully professional recording studio.
I go to a catholic school. Besides the fact that theres religion calsses, we have to wear uniforms, and theres no girls, It's pretty much the same as public school. Curriculums completly the same, we learn all about evolution in bio, learn about all the bad **** early christians did in the early days, etc. Some of the teachers are crazy christian propagandists, but most of them arn't. plus, we get 20 less days a year then public school kids.
In short, if there was a good catholic school in the area where i decide to raise a family, i would definatly concider sending my kids there
(P.S. I'm not a crazy christian wackjob either, I'm very open minded about my belief in the church, and very liveral minded on topics such as gay marraige, abortions, and evolution)
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
and very liveral minded on topics such as gay marraige, abortions, and evolution)

and spelling apparently...
Quote by HIM%(^
and spelling apparently...

Cut him some slack, v is right next to b.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I've been to both.

I like the Christian school better, because the people were more friendly. I got jumped in public school because I wasn't a "gangsta." I got sick of it and decided to leave. The high school I would have went to is nothing but weekly drug busts and bomb threats with at least 2 rapes a month, and maybe a murder a year.

Now I'm in a school of maybe not even 70 with just salt of the earth students and teachers. I love it. They don't shove anything down your throats either, they teach you what you need to know and add religion on the side.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by HIM%(^
i go to mcdonogh school, a private k-12 school in owings mills maryland and let me say this. we dominate in sports. haha #1 ranked nationally in girls soccer, top 25 in lacrosse, and we were state champions in lacrosse, soccer, and football(helllll yeahhhhh) but yeah. im sending my kids there, if i can fork over the twenty grand a year.

Ahhh, I know McDonogh. You guys are really good. I know an upcoming freshman who was recruited for their football team... I think he got a special deal or something because he failed the entrance exam, but is still going.

Anyway, I go to a Christian school that is relatively open minded and humanities-oriented. Our musical program is good (internationally recognized choirs and a nationally recognized marching band), and most of our humanities our solid. We teach that evolution is incorrect, but we do teach with secular textbooks and we teach what the evolutionary theory, but we take a critical look at it and look at the scientific evidence against it (please don't debate me on this. I know most of you think this is bunk, but I think there is a good amount of evidence against evolution. This isn't the thread to debate it).

There's a strong Christian atmosphere about the school, but we're not as ignorant and close-minded as a lot of Christian schools I've experienced. However, while I haven't lost my faith, the school doesn't do that good a job of encouraging it.

[EDIT]: If it matters, my school is nondenominational, though there is a big Protestant majority, and the school was founded by Presbyterian Calvinists.
The medium is the message!
Last edited by The Rambler at Jun 5, 2008,
I've been to both private and public. Private was way better.

My high school was protestant, so it wasn't really that strict on the religion aspect of it.
We had to attend mass which was held once a month and prayed every morning when school started. We also had separate mass per grade level once a month. it wasn't that bad. just boring.

but besides my high school was rich. Only the Ivy League colleges have more money.
=]
Quote by The Rambler
Ahhh, I know McDonogh. You guys are really good. I know an upcoming freshman who was recruited for their football team... I think he got a special deal or something because he failed the entrance exam, but is still going.

Anyway, I go to a Christian school that is relatively open minded and humanities-oriented. Our musical program is good (internationally recognized choirs and a nationally recognized marching band), and most of our humanities our solid. We teach that evolution is incorrect, but we do teach with secular textbooks and we teach what the evolutionary theory, but we take a critical look at it and look at the scientific evidence against it (please don't debate me on this. I know most of you think this is bunk, but I think there is a good amount of evidence against evolution. This isn't the thread to debate it).

There's a strong Christian atmosphere about the school, but we're not as ignorant and close-minded as a lot of Christian schools I've experienced. However, while I haven't lost my faith, the school doesn't do that good a job of encouraging it.

would he happen to be the 6'8 310 pound kid from linganore?
ridiculous. I've gone to a Catholic school for high school and Christian schools before that, there's never been any holding back of any sort. In fact we probably learn more due to the mandatory religion courses, which include world religions and things like the Old Testament scriptures. My education has been far better than my peers at public schools, of whom there are many. There is also no question that it is helpful when applying to college.
simply put, Christian schools ARE better
XU
Quote by HIM%(^
would he happen to be the 6'8 310 pound kid from linganore?

No, he's not THAT big. I think he plays DE or something.
The medium is the message!
Quote by The Madcap
People have this bad idea that Catholicism is against evolution, when it's quite the contrary.

Maybe that's because Catholic belief states (to my knowledge) that God created life rather than the good old primordial ooze.

-SD
Quote by The Rambler
No, he's not THAT big. I think he plays DE or something.

hahah oh..yeah were going to be legit then. we have some large people...like my self..all well over 250 but thats what you get when you go to a private school
Quote by HIM%(^
hahah oh..yeah were going to be legit then. we have some large people...like my self..all well over 250 but thats what you get when you go to a private school

Fat people?

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Fat people?

-SD

naww man haha check my pro if you dont beleive me..they just feed us creatine and whey and make us lift like crazy haha
Quote by SilentDeftone
Maybe that's because Catholic belief states (to my knowledge) that God created life rather than the good old primordial ooze.

-SD
I don't know what you mean by primordial ooze, but I think it was Pope Leo XIII who sort of "allowed" evolution to be an acceptable belief for the Catholic religion, and the current Pope believes in evolution and has called creationism ridiculous.
i go to a public-selective school, so i dont know where i stand. but from what ive seen, my friends who have gone to catholic schools always get into worse **** than those who went to public schools like me. also maybe co-ed and single sex schools play a role?

EDIT: I have a friend who was super catholic at the start of the year last year, and maybe because our school is so full of "bright students", and theres talk of religion and philosophy and politics...etc everywhere, i think his view has changed somewhat. but there are religious societies (eg. "the Jew Crew", and Catholics alive" or something) within my school, so...
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by dayvbayb at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by The Madcap

*Kids raise their hands*

I want me some Jesus spit
i would love to see some kind of stastic about how many kids who go to catholic schools lose faith because of it.

(Im one)
I went to a private high school, but it wasn't religion based. I had few classes of religious studies, but my parents pulled me out of it, because they are atheists and I was raised that way (I'm not baptized)
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I attend a private school, which is a of Christian background, and we get taught about evolution, the big bang, etc. I am an Atheist, but nothing can get in the way of a good education, which this school offers. I just choose not to believe any of the stuff the teachers say about God & Religion in general.

Sure, we have to pray and stuff during Assembly in the mornings, but other than that, I would attend Private over Public any day.

I used to go to a Public school, and it was the worst experience of my life. You were either popular, or you were hated by everyone, and due to my 'musical interests' I was the least bit popular, and to be blunt, I was hated by almost everyone, except a few friends. Only after moving to my current school did I notice how bad things were in a public school.

So, for me, Private>Public.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by Bayonetwork
I actually find it more disturbing that Jesus was spitting on people.

If you re-read what the TS posted, the pastor said, "WHAT IF Jesus spit on you................" .
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
If you re-read what the TS posted, the pastor said, "WHAT IF Jesus spit on you................" .

He was hypothetically spitting on people.
Stop being an ass.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
In Hawaii, Private and selective public schools (charter schools) are always better.

The public education system in Hawaii is really messed up.
its kinda sad..

Idk, I just think that the standards for the youth are low, probably just in America.
Page 1 of 3