So recently, my bass went out, it made absolutely no noise at all, even when connecting a fresh battery. So i took it in and the guy at Guitar-Center spotted the problem and he just rewired the electronics so the preamp is by-passed. Then he told me I should check out some preamps and he'd switch them out, he said any after market preamp would be a huge step-up from the stock one.

So where should I look? Seymore Duncan seems to have good deals... Will any preamp work? My bass has a 2-way EQ if that helps.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
well there are several options for preamps. but what i would recomend the most is EMG because i have used it and i love it. i can allways find the right tone with my EMGs.

check out http://emginc.com

and look at their preamps.

my jazz bass uses the EXB circuit. it is somewhat of an "automatic" EQ it boosts bass and treb while slowy decreasing mids to that "sweet spot" it's great for slap/metal/rock/ but ive not really had problems with other styles.

my ESP bass uses the B64EQ. it has so mannyh different sounds. i could sit in my room for hours just playing with all of the different sounds i can get.

another good option is bartolini. i dont really like thier pickups but thier EQ is solid. if you want to go with the Duncan then that is fine too. they are not all very different bart is kinda after the HiFI sound Duncan is after that clasic sound and EMG focuses on clarity and output.

generally the EMG circiuts will have the hottest output

sometimes i think about putting the BQC system on my jazz because i really like the way the erni ball bongo sounds with it's 4 band eq.

you arent limited to 2 band EQ if you dont want it. you could put 3 band or whatever you want really.

if you wanted to stay with 2 band you would use the BTC if you have 3 knobs or the BTS if you have 4 knobs.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Bartolini also do good Preamps, as do Aguilar. Bartolini do a 3-band EQ that fits in a 2-band hole if you want that.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
how many holes/knobs is you bass routed for? do you have a blend knob or 2 volume? is there any stacked pots??
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
there are 4 knobs, 1 for volume, 1 that switches between pickups, 1 for bass, 1 for treble
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Well, you could easily upgrade that to a 3 way with a Volume/Volume, Bass, Treble, Mid.
Or use a stacked Treble/Bass and have a blend instead of the Vol/Vol.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.