When im recording with my POD, should I have the mic be its own "track"? Like one recording will be lead, another rythm, another vocals. Pretty much how would you sugguest me recording on a mic?
If I were going to do it, it would depend on how I wanted a song to sound. If I was doing an acoustic piece, and I could pull it off, I'd do it live, just capturing ambient sound. If it was all electric, I'd give each part it's own track, simply because it's easier to do.

But, keep in mind, I don't know what a POD mic is. Also, I think this is the wrong forum.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
yes the guitar and vox need to be on separate tracks. I would suggest recording the guitar first and then overdubbing the vox.

and try the riffs and recordings forum.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
What do you mean overdubbing? YOu mean play it while singing?

And POD is the line 6 USB recording.
i mean you record the guitar track, then after you've recorded it you record the vocals over it on a different track.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you can record the entire band or just the drums and rythem first.

Then go back and record each instrument to give it's own track.
Use the original track as a guide, or as a play along track

You'll get a better recording if things are their own track.
You'll be able to adjust the FX, volume, pan, tone for each track indiviually.

lets say you only have 8 tracks avaliable and need to add more
parts or tracks...you can bounce.
Meaning you can mix just the drums, bass, rythem.
(so you get a bacing track sort of deal )

or you can export each indiual tracks into another software such as audacity
with more avalible tracks on the mixer board for final mixing.

Somtimes you might need to clone tracks to keep the final product
clearer/cleaner. Meaning...treble track such as the lead or rythem
has thiner sound waves, but if you increase the volume, it'll get dirty/distorted.
By cloning tracks it'll make it fuller, which will make it seem like it's louder
but not distorted.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 5, 2008,
^ although i think it has nothing at all to do with the TS question it is definitely a good idea
Quote by z4twenny
^ although i think it has nothing at all to do with the TS question it is definitely a good idea
It addresses multitracking in general and is a better piece of advice than anything I could say about vocals.
^
Very true. I remember trying to record Santana's "Europa" one time and it being a total bitch since it wasn't live with a rhythm player, and then remembered the metronome. Believe me, it makes things a LOT easier.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
^
Very true. I remember trying to record Santana's "Europa" one time and it being a total bitch since it wasn't live with a rhythm player, and then remembered the metronome. Believe me, it makes things a LOT easier.
If you doing everything at once, which is no longer the common way of recording, the a metronome isn't needed since you have everything done in one take. But for multitracking, you want to be able to be perfectly on the beat.
^
I prefer doing recordings live with my dad or my brother, but usually I need to do it myself, since I'm the only one with an interest in recording in my house

Quote by Page&HammettFan
^
I prefer doing recordings live with my dad or my brother, but usually I need to do it myself, since I'm the only one with an interest in recording in my house
The danger with that is when you make one tiny mistake. When you listen to the recording, the error will be loud loud loud and you'll have to fix it. If you multitrack with a metronome, you can simply edit a few seconds of song. Else, you have to do the whole song again.
^ i used to be a big believer of the whole "everything in one take for one track and if i screw up once i gotta redo the whole track" i guess now that i've got more space my point of view has been changed to "do the whole intro in one take, whole chorus in one take etc etc" i slack a little more :-/ i'm awful at cutting and editing so its easier for me to just get the whole take for a section right. besides i think doing as much as you can in one take can really help the continuity of a song.
I'm HORRIBLE at editing, so it's much easier for me to just get it right the first time.

Yeah I tend to record it all in one take which can be a pain if you mess up late in the song, but I find it sounds so much more natural, but it depends on what youre playing. Since I play primarily acoustical instruments, it's hard to get away with recording one section at a time and making it sound not obvious. Also, sometimes if I don't use a metronome it sounds much better and less mechanical, more free flowing, but not off beat. It opens up the possibility to fool around with dynamics and such. But again, it really depends on what you're doing.

Also if you have a decent mic, you could mess with the positioning and pull off a nice recording of singing and playing guitar at the same time. I find this to be much better sounding than playing guitar first then singing, because I tend to put more "emotion" into the music, rather than silently counting out measures in my head. If you have two mics, it will be easier, but I only have one condenser and a dynamic, I havent tried mixing them yet, but recording vox and acoustic guitar at the same time on a condenser works great. Then add the lead over it if needed.