so for our last assignment in english we have to do a short speech on a book that each student chose to read in the last 3 months, and use 3 props during the speech. I read 1984, but I finished it a couple of months ago, and now I have to put together my speech and I've forgotten everything. I need 2 objects that I can use that the main character would have needed.

the assignment sheet says: "What three items, concrete or abstract, does the protagonist of your book need most?" I already have a dictionary, cause the government was trying to get everybody to use newsspeak. Any other ideas?
what about his diary form teh start of the book?
sorry ive only just started reading it lol
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Um, the chick.
Whatever her name was.

Maybe the diary?

I read that and thought "leg ulcer" but I don't know how pivotal it was.

Oh, there was the glass thing. Maybe you could do the little room that they rented...

Or wait! Abstract? What about his thoughts? Those were pretty important.
uhhh
i dont remember a thing
i hated that book
id have to say his paperweight and his girlfriend
and hope (if you consider that a thing)
good luck tho, hope i helped
ok, maybe the diary can represent his thoughts then, since he pretty much wrote everything down in it. I don't think the leg ulcer had much importance though.
well if its concrete the dictionary makes perfect sense and how about will to break away from the totalitarian rule.
Sex, Freewill, and his position within the Party are most vital.

The first two are his means of rebellion, and the third is what makes his rebellion against the Party special.

Oh, and you could throw Big Brother into the mix because in the book Big Brother no longer exists and is solely a means of unifying the people.
Does it have to be from the book?
I would bring a calculator and break it to show how the goverment controlled all logic and thought.
Iceman Edit: Didn't read the second paragraph, nevermind
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Freewill is using the thoughts he has to commit physical rebellion against the Party. It's on a whole new level past thought crime.

oh sorry I should have quoted that, my comment was to the guy above you
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Sex, Freewill, and his position within the Party are most vital.

The first two are his means of rebellion, and the third is what makes his rebellion against the Party special.

Oh, and you could throw Big Brother into the mix because in the book Big Brother no longer exists and is solely a means of unifying the people.

ok thanks, I'm not sure if my teacher would be too happy if I just started talking about sex in the middle of class, so I'm gonna stick with the dictionary, but the other two are great, thanks!

Edit: so the finished items will be a dictionary to represent the words that he uses to commit thoughtcrime, the diary to represent his commiting thoughtcrime and other ways of rebellion, and a badge to represent his position in government
Last edited by samick007 at Jun 5, 2008,
Man, if you would have dressed a blow up doll to bring to class it would have worked on so many levels.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Man, if you would have dressed a blow up doll to bring to class it would have worked on so many levels.

I actually have the option to present the speech from the point of view of the character too. My teacher is a bit of a hard nose though, and I don't think I'd have the courage to hump a blowup doll in front of a bunch of people anyway.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Don't lie. You failed English because you didn't read the book like you were supposed to.

Exactly, Thats what I meant. Sorry about that I failed English
Quote by samick007
I actually have the option to present the speech from the point of view of the character too. My teacher is a bit of a hard nose though, and I don't think I'd have the courage to hump a blowup doll in front of a bunch of people anyway.

So long as you do it in the park, while making sure nobody sees you, you're in the clear.